NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: E36 M3 Evo - NOS fitting help
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:40 pm 

I've done a search for M3's but I couldn't find anything useful, so apologies if this has already been asked...

I'm fitting a single point wet kit to my E36 Evo and I have a few questions, so here goes

1) Where is the best place to fit the nozzle?

GREEN - Just after the MAF in parallel with the MAF
PINK - Just after the MAF but angled into the pelum chamber
YELLOW - In the middle of the elbow pointing at the throttle bodies (I have a feeling cyl 1 & 6 might not get enough N2O though)

2) Are the jets the same for fuel and N20? I have a bag of mixed jets, they have BHP numbers on them, but no other markings.
3) What jets should I start with? *EDIT* I've just found out the numbers on the jets arn't equal to BHP and that you fit different values to N2O/Fuel to adjust the mixture. so what number jets should I start off with?
4) can I get a replacement sticker for my bottle from anywhere, I was going to paint it and reapply the original sticker as it's a bit tatty.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: E36 M3 Evo - NOS fitting help
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

Tommo wrote:
I've done a search for M3's but I couldn't find anything useful, so apologies if this has already been asked...
Nothing to apologise for but I'd strongly suggest you take another look in the advanced section as there are a number of EXTREMELY DETAILED & INTERESTING threads that you'd enjoy reading.

1) Where is the best place to fit the nozzle?
GREEN - Just after the MAF.

2) Are the jets the same for fuel and N20? I have a bag of mixed jets, they have BHP numbers on them, but no other markings.
The jets are the same 'style' for both fuel & nitrous but the sizes/numbers will be different.

3) What jets should I start with? *EDIT* I've just found out the numbers on the jets arn't equal to BHP and that you fit different values to N2O/Fuel to adjust the mixture. so what number jets should I start off with?
Start with a 100 nitrous and a 30 fuel.

4) can I get a replacement sticker for my bottle from anywhere, I was going to paint it and reapply the original sticker as it's a bit tatty.
Yes they are available here;
http://www.noswizard.com/nitrous-ancill ... icker.html

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:17 pm 

Cheers for the help. I've got everything fitted now apart from the bottle.

Will 100/35 do? I have a selection of jets, but no 30 :(

Also what does 100/35 equate to bhp wise as a rough estimate? and at the other end of thd scale what jets would 75bhp?

Is there an optimal ratio of fuel/n20 jet sizes? Should I get my car on the rollers and check the AFR when I start upping the power? Should I do it for the 100/35?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:33 pm 
Wizard

You might want to have a slightly short fuel line to the injector, especially as it's firing upwards against gravity :yes:

On an unrelated note, I wonder how an inline 6 engine like above would consume the nitrous when the intake looks as though it'll be heavily biased towards the middle two cylinders. I guess all 6 cylinders must get an equal amount of air from the R&D at BMW, but I'm just thinking out aloud I guess...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:50 am 
Site Admin

Ron wrote:
You might want to have a slightly short fuel line to the injector, especially as it's firing upwards against gravity :yes:
BMW's use a higher fuel pressure than most and as the pipes are quite short and it won't be seeing a HUGE shot of nitrous, the pipes should be OK as they are Ron.

On an unrelated note, I wonder how an inline 6 engine like above would consume the nitrous when the intake looks as though it'll be heavily biased towards the middle two cylinders. I guess all 6 cylinders must get an equal amount of air from the R&D at BMW, but I'm just thinking out aloud I guess...
If all 6 cylinders opened and closed together it would be a problem but because they only open one at a time and each one then pulls on the full induction system it isn't.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:25 am 
Wizard

^^^ Thank you sir, I didn't know that about the fuel pressure being higher on BMW's.

Also, regarding the intake, that's a very good point you make...in that case, perhaps it's best that the intake design feeds centrally - makes me wonder why many cars have it from in from one side making the flow biased, but I guess the main reason is space/cost etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Cost is ALWAYS the driving force in 99% of production companies, even with performance products. :cry:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:00 pm 

Thanks for you help, I sent my pulsoids off the other day to be refurbed, got them back and refitted so I'm good to go now, just need to get my bottle filled.

I found a table with jet sizes Vs approx BHP, I'm gonna start with 100/35 as that the closest match I have, so that should be a fairly rich 50bhp? I believe I want to be aiming for an AFR of 10? So long as everything goes alright with the 100/35 I
'm planning on changing to 150 n2o then getting it on the rollers and whatever fuel jet give me 10 AFR.

Only other concern I have is, I tested the system with the little pressure that was in my bottle, it still gives a good blast of n2o. But the spray that comes out of the nozzle just pretty much hits the top and side of the air intake elbow and condenses then runs down it.

Is this not a bit of a problem? Or will it be different when the engine is sucking air though there at full throttle?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to hear they reached you OK.

Your target AFR wants to be in the 11.5 to 12.5 region, 10 would be far too rich.

Once the air is flowing the nitrous and fuel flow will be fine, just make sure you have the Crossfire protruding in to the airflow as much as possible.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:48 pm 

Thanks for the heads up on the AFR, I read somewhere that the target AFR was 10 with nitruos, which I did this was massively rich.

The jet does protrude as much as possible, but bizzarly it does seem that the jet of vapour that comes out of it if anything is angled up towards the top of the duct. Which seems counter-intuitive as if anything I would of though the jet would be angled downwards.

Could this just be because theres no liquid left in the bottle and I'm running a relatively low pressure? I've checked and the nozzle is clean.

Rather than speculating I'll get my bottle filled and take a video of it in action, it's probably the easiest way to show what I mean :) I'm just excited and want to get as much as I can sorted now lol I cant get the bottle filled till next Wednesday :(

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:03 am 
Site Admin

Tommo wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on the AFR, I read somewhere that the target AFR was 10 with nitruos, which I did this was massively rich.
Sorry I missed this post but only just found it.

The jet does protrude as much as possible, but bizzarly it does seem that the jet of vapour that comes out of it if anything is angled up towards the top of the duct. Which seems counter-intuitive as if anything I would of though the jet would be angled downwards.
How old is the Crossfire and has it been in use on another car?

Could this just be because theres no liquid left in the bottle and I'm running a relatively low pressure? I've checked and the nozzle is clean.
That may not help as more volume means more expansion.

Rather than speculating I'll get my bottle filled and take a video of it in action, it's probably the easiest way to show what I mean :) I'm just excited and want to get as much as I can sorted now lol I cant get the bottle filled till next Wednesday :(
Hope all is going well since you posted.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)