NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The 330Ci Results!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:13 pm 
Learner

well after 3hours down at hypertech today the nitrous is finally finished.

RR results

they didn't do any static testing just straight onto the rr while being very careful with watching the AFR.

also on both with and without runs stopped miles away from the redline to be on the safe side :lol:

any suggestion on what fuel jet sizes to get before i pop back down to retry everything ?

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: The 330Ci Results!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:31 pm 
Learner

What jets did you have to get that result

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:30 am 
Site Admin

Autosri wrote:
What jets did you have to get that result

X2 and do you have a bottle heater?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:26 pm 
Learner

A 50shot nitrous jet and not sure on the fuel jet as its the one you sent out with the kit.

Have a bottle heater but wasn't used as they had just filled the bottle before going onto the rollers and said it would be at full pressure since it was full so wouldnt make a difference.......i didnt want to argue with them about that.

Since getting home i linked up the heater and gave it a blast......if 22bhp extra feels this good i cant imagine 40-50!! :D :D :D

everyone iv had in the car has now compared it to having a turbo. stamp my foot down, pulls hard, then a nice extra surge when the nitrous hits! love the feeling of the delivery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

dirteater661 wrote:
A 50shot nitrous jet and not sure on the fuel jet as its the one you sent out with the kit.
If it's the jets we sent with the system it's TWENTY FIVE HP which will be a 50 SIZE nitrous jet and a 25 fuel jet.

Have a bottle heater but wasn't used as they had just filled the bottle before going onto the rollers and said it would be at full pressure since it was full so wouldnt make a difference.......i didnt want to argue with them about that.
That's UTTER RUBBISH and the REVERSE is actually the case. When a bottle is first filled it is usually BELOW normal pressure, because the bottle needs to be cooler than normal to get a good fill and pressure is directly linked to temperature.
It is ESSENTIAL to CHECK what the ACTUAL pressure is before a run, so you NEED a gauge to do that.

Since getting home i linked up the heater and gave it a blast......if 22bhp extra feels this good i cant imagine 40-50!! :D :D :D
You will have certainly made MUCH MORE power when you linked up the heater for the reasons given above.

everyone iv had in the car has now compared it to having a turbo. stamp my foot down, pulls hard, then a nice extra surge when the nitrous hits! love the feeling of the delivery
Excellent
Your existing jets will be very close to correct and if you went back on the dyno with the heater in use, I'm sure you'd make at least another 10 HP or more.
There's NO point making any adjustments based on the dyno results, because the bottle pressure WOULD HAVE BEEN TOO LOW compared to how you're using it now.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:22 pm 
Learner

was sent out with a 50bhp jet after i sent an email asking it to be fitted with that as iv got a 3.0 engine you agreed to send it out with the bigger jet :)

They did say they normal deal with NX express and NOS systems over WON......so we did clash over a few things while having a chat as work was carried out!

How do i perform a static test using the TPS? makes sense with the Micro switch....not so much with the TPS, nothing guiding me in any of the instructions unless iv missed it somewhere on your site :lol:

haha maybe thats why it felt so good for what i thought was 22bhp!! if dyno runs didn't cost so much id go get it rolled again after the heater had been on for a good bit to soak the bottle with heat! maybe after doing a static test and getting some bigger/smaller nitrous and fuel jets based on Your guidance i will go back :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:28 pm 
Learner

I think my jets are almost 2:1 with a 50 shot but if I remember il check tommorow and that's with the pressure switch set to switch off at 950 and back on at 920 and I think that keeps a steady 11:1 AFR

My experiance is you can't make more than 70hp on these engines without ignition upgrades

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:34 pm 
Learner

id be over the moon with 275-280bhp!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:48 pm 
Learner

Mine made 275 with just nitrous and what ever jets or whatever I did with the controller it never made any more till I fitted and ignition booster to up the primary voltage which ups the secondary voltage I still have them if you fancy buying it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:55 pm 
Learner

I wouldn't mess about with the ignition i don't think. Just had another blast. turned the heater on as soon as i left work and drove until the engine was up to temp 15min or so. THERE IS NO WAAAAY ITS ONLY 22BHP!!! such lovely surge of power and extra noise!.....ended up turning round and drive part of the way back thats all nice straights :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:33 pm 
Learner

well the punch was a wee bit down today so took out the bottle to see if i had any nitrous left and the bottle was basically empty :( haha

just been over on WON n got some 150,70,80 jets some spare olives, gauge and dash mount kits so i can keep an eye on the pressure :) Dont want to end up arming the system stamping my foot down and spraying only extra fuel in as i cant imagine that being very good for anything!!???

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

dirteater661 wrote:
just been over on WON n got some 150,70,80 jets some spare olives, gauge and dash mount kits so i can keep an eye on the pressure :)
Wise move.

Dont want to end up arming the system stamping my foot down and spraying only extra fuel in as i cant imagine that being very good for anything!!???
The PRESSURE gauge won't tell you when the bottle is running out (as the pressure when heated will stay the same until after the LIQUID has run out) and the ONLY way to have an accurate indication of when the liquid runs out, is to add a RACE Max which has a bottle contents indicator.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:04 pm 
Learner

Hopfuly see a nice extra punch from the 75bhp shot!

Will the bottle take longer to reach optimal pressure as its getting lower? Also will damage be done from just spraying in fuel with no nitrous very breifly?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

dirteater661 wrote:
Hopfuly see a nice extra punch from the 75bhp shot!
It certainly will.

Will the bottle take longer to reach optimal pressure as its getting lower?
Good question and you've got me on that, as I've never checked that one.

Also will damage be done from just spraying in fuel with no nitrous very breifly?
Certainly not, although sustained use would accelerate bore/ring/piston wear and possibly dilute the oil if used that way long enough but nobody would use it even remotely too rich, for more than it takes to tell its not making any extra power.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:22 pm 
Learner

Very helpful reply as always! Best to start with the 80 or 70 fuel jet with the 150nitrous jet?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:41 am 
Site Admin

dirteater661 wrote:
Very helpful reply as always! Best to start with the 80 or 70 fuel jet with the 150nitrous jet?

Glad to be of service and I should have added that I would expect it to take less time to get to pressure as there is less 'mass' to heat up.
Start with the 80 as more fuel is safest.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 am 
Learner

I think it took longer to get to correct pressure when it was emptying not sure why but I seemed that way

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

It would when it was COMPLETELY empty of LIQUID as there is NO mass to heat up to boil off and create increased pressure, as you're just heating GAS up and there's NO point in heating it then.

My original response was aimed at heating when the bottle was LOW on LIQUID content compared to full.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:40 pm 
Learner

Autosri wrote:
I think it took longer to get to correct pressure when it was emptying not sure why but I seemed that way

Kind of how mine felt. Had the heater on for a good while but the power seemed a wee bit down. Hence me taking it out to see according to my scales only have 2lbs left.....I am only using normal digital bath room scales though! Haha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:13 pm 
Learner

Just been out with the 75bhp shot set up! car feels crazy! i honesty cant understand why people don't use this stuff! such a kick for little buck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

dirteater661 wrote:
Just been out with the 75bhp shot set up! car feels crazy! i honesty cant understand why people don't use this stuff! such a kick for little buck.

Glad to hear you've enjoyed a greater degree of the WON experience.

The reason more people don't use nitrous, is because there are so many 'EXPERTS' out there (people who have NEVER EVEN SEEN a nitrous kit in real life) telling them AND ME that it will blow their engines.
What makes it worse is that most people would rather believe someone who has never even seen a nitrous kit, than someone with THIRTY FIVE YEARS OF EXPERIENCE DEDICATED to nitrous system design advancement - YOU COULDN'T MAKE IT UP!!!!

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:31 pm 
Learner

In my opinion more people don't use it because of availability of gas the nearest place for me is an hour and half round trip and thats not even a WON dealer and insurance prices I know you say some offer competitive rates but IME they don't the cheapest I could find was 400 quid more expensive than without nitrous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:09 am 
Site Admin

Autosri wrote:
In my opinion more people don't use it because of availability of gas the nearest place for me is an hour and half round trip and thats not even a WON dealer
That would come AFTER they'd ignored the SHIT from the 'EXPERTS' but most DON'T even get past that stage.

and insurance prices I know you say some offer competitive rates but IME they don't the cheapest I could find was 400 quid more expensive than without nitrous
You should have contacted us about that and we'd have got that sorted for you, as the only time that happens is when an inexperienced assistant deals with a nitrous enquiry and we've had the insurers correct the mistakes for a few customers over the years, so that shouldn't be an 'actual' concern but it may put some people off who aren't aware of the above.

However, again this would ONLY be an issue IF people ignored the 'EXPERTS' so you can be CERTAIN that the MAIN reason its not used as much as would be expected, is the NEGATIVE INCORRECT 'EXPERT' advice and the subsequent PEER PRESSURE it causes. Just imagine you mention adding nitrous to your car and ALL your buddies tell you it will blow it up, how many guys are strong enough and independent enough to say they are all talking out of their arse and risk being a laughing stock by buying a system and it then blowing the motor to bits. VERY FEW I CAN TELL YOU and that's why you guys are sadly in the MINORITY.

Just out of interest though, how much would the insurance be increased if you fitted a turbo and added another 100 hp???

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:16 am 
Site Admin

BTW we've 'set up' a number of forums by making bogus posts asking what opinion is about fitting nitrous to a number of different vehicles from scooters to BMW's and they were ALL BOMBARDED BY NEGATIVE POSTS from 'EXPERTS' and even when I then went on the forums and announced who I was and stated my experience, they STILL INSISTED THEY WERE RIGHT. :shock:

In one case even when Lawson from Powerhouse Engineering joined in to support me, the 'EXPERTS' STILL INSISTED THEY WERE RIGHT. :shock: :shock:

To make it worse, this was a SCOOTER forum where the average age can't have been much more than NINETEEN, so you'd think they'd be willing to accept their knowledge was limited but NO, they were all 'EXPERTS' on the subject.

LIKE I SAID - YOU COULDN'T MAKE IT UP!!!!!

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:58 am 
Learner

When I surgested to a few friends I was looking at nitrous they all said it won't last a month till it was in bits I tried to explain it wasn't like fast and furious and they still gave it a month so I bet them a full bottle of nitrous and they had to take it to get filled aswell so needless to say they wernt best pleased when it lasted quite easily a month lol