NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: I'm ready to step up to a real nitrous kit
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:02 pm 

Ok I got a couple of Q: First let's start of by me telling you what I have. I have a fully built S52 with a Active Autowerks Stage II supercharger kit with a smaller pulley making 12psi, I'm currently making 455 hp.

Last year a bought a NY TREX TRIPLE THREAT KIT, never installed it on the car because I really wanted to understand what I was getting into...

Come to find out not all nitrous kits are created equal. Wizards of nos is so for ahead of the game it's crazy!

I always thought nitrous was simple, keep enough fuel flowing and you'll be ok. But it's so much more come to find out.

What I need from you guys is to help me meet my goals. I'm shooting for 750-800 whp. What do need to get there? I'm currently running a compression ratio of 9:5. Is that ok? I've heard nitrous loves high compression, some people say low compression. I've played with nitrous before but it was small stuff compared to what I want to do now.

Thanks

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: I'm ready to step up to a real nitrous kit
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:58 pm 

Hi Dave :)

Trev will be along in a minute to give you more precise advice but compression is NOT a problem...mine is 10.4 and I run a reasonable amount of WON nitrous...lol :)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:42 pm 

Brett928S2 wrote:
Hi Dave :)

Trev will be along in a minute to give you more precise advice but compression is NOT a problem...mine is 10.4 and I run a reasonable amount of WON nitrous...lol :)

All the best Brett :)

I was thinking about bumping it back up to 10:5, is that wise?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:49 pm 

I'm also adding water/methanol injection.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

SUPADAVE wrote:
Last year a bought a NY TREX TRIPLE THREAT KIT, never installed it on the car because I really wanted to understand what I was getting into...
Your pause for thought was a wise move, to see why please take a look at this INDEPENDENT report;
http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html/vie ... ut_web.pdf

Come to find out not all nitrous kits are created equal. Wizards of nos is so for ahead of the game it's crazy!
How true (thanks for appreciating that) and we're even further ahead than you can be aware of, because we have 2 further MAJOR advances in technology in the pipe line, which are even more radical than our REVO system.

I always thought nitrous was simple, keep enough fuel flowing and you'll be ok. But it's so much more come to find out.
If people are happy to run a high risk of failure and be satisfied with brutal power delivery and minimal results (compared with the REAL potential of nitrous oxide), then yes it can be relatively simple but if you want unrivalled reliability and the best possible results from nitrous, it's a whole different ball game.
This reminds me of a STUPID comment that a 'so called' nitrous 'expert' once told one of my customers; "Trevor Langfield is trying to scare people in to thinking nitrous is an overly complicated subject, when the fact is that I can put all anyone needs to know about nitrous, on the back of a postage stamp". What he really should have said (and was basically indicating) was; 'I don't understand ANYTHING that Trevor Langfield is talking about and ALL that 'I' think I know about nitrous could be put on the back of a postage stamp'.
This guy has since gone bust and I haven't heard anything of him for the past 10 years - THANKFULLY for all those people he was misleading by spouting such rubbish.

What I need from you guys is to help me meet my goals. I'm shooting for 750-800 whp. What do need to get there?
Please complete our contacts page for a comprehensive and customer specific reply to this question.

I'm currently running a compression ratio of 9:5. Is that ok? I've heard nitrous loves high compression, some people say low compression.
That's the problem with most people who 'think' they know everything about nitrous, they believe that what 'they' have personally experienced (although in many cases that's NOTHING), applies to every nitrous application.
Here's the perfect way to determine if ANYONE giving you advice on nitrous, knows what they're talking about or not; If they give you a single, hard and fast definitive answer to a question, the chances are (in most cases), they DO NOT know what they are talking about.
The answer to your question and the responses you've been given are a perfect example. It's OBVIOUS to me that NEITHER source of the answers has had much (if any) experience, because neither is entirely correct.
The answer to MOST nitrous related questions can be answered most accurately by the following statement;
"It depends on too many variables to give a definitive answer".
More specifically to this particular question, it depends on the following factors as to whether or not, the compression ratio should be at a particular level;
1) Combustion chamber design
2) Piston design and to a lesser degree the design of the rest of the engine
3) Choice of fuel type
4) Timing control facilities and accuracy
5) Strength of engine components
6) Engine rpm range and choice of rpm range when nitrous will be activated
7) Amount of nitrous being added
8) Fixed or progressive delivery
9) If progressive then the choice of settings will affect the choice of compression.
You can also add forced induction Vs NA to that complex equation.

With all the above in mind and as they are all variable, anyone who gave you a concise answer obviously wouldn't know what they were talking about.
Having said that, the SIMPLE 'generic' answer is to say, that lower is safer and can in some/most instances lead to better results.

I've played with nitrous before but it was small stuff compared to what I want to do now.
When running small doses, you can get away with inferior nitrous hardware and a modest level of knowledge but when you start cranking up the power that's a whole different story, so it was a very wise move to take a look here.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:46 pm 

Thanks Trev,

Filling out the contact page now