NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Direct port Y splitter distribution query.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:13 am 
Learner

I am upgrading my system to direct port and have a few queries.
Rather than using the radial distribution blocks I see benefits to using stages of Y splitters instead (similar to Richards BMW).
I will be buying 2 pairs of 250 bhp X10 pulsoids and for this year will be hoping to start with a 100 shot per bank building to a 200 per bank. Next year if all is going well maybe more.

My understanding is that 5mm Nylon is ok for 250 bhp on the ‘low’ pressure side.
So for future higher level flow capabilities am thinking that I will need 1/8 BSP lines from twin 11lb bottles to the pulsoids, then 5mm lines to the first pair of Y splitters with 4mm outlets to each bank.
Or would I be better to continue 5mm to the next splitters and drop to 4mm for each injector (max for each would equal 62.5hp x 8 = 500 shot).

Any other ideas or things to consider?

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Direct port Y splitter distribution query.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:26 pm 
Learner

That engine is huuuuuge !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

If you're using TWO sets of X-10s (1 set per bank), you'll only need 4mm pipe to the first Y's.

If you're intending to run 2 stages with only ONE set of X-10's feeding both banks, then yes 5mm pipe between the Pulsoids and the 1st Y-Blocks would be advantageous BUT ONLY once you've exceeded the limitations of 4mm pipe etc.

You'll either have to start by using ALL 4mm parts (and convert to 5mm later) or use 5mm fittings with 4mm reduces and pipe until you reach higher power figures, because the 5mm Pulsoid outlets won't accept the small range of jets, that you'll need to use initially.

Before designing/fitting the Y-Block system please take a good look at the following instructions;

http://www.noswizard.com/hpsnw_admin/pd ... oblems.pdf

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:18 pm 
Learner

Thanks Trevor.
First of all let me explain my aims for this year and the future….
Now I have had the engine rebuilt with forged pistons, lowered CR and a bespoke nitrous friendly spec cam I obviously want to use bigger shots of nitrous in order to ultimately beat the competition. There are more and more TVRs fitting upto 7 ltr LS engines, twin turbo and supercharged cars with over 600 bhp.
The quickest as yet these have run is 11.1 @ 131. Some will soon be running 10’s and I want to be ready to compete at an event I have personally arranged at Santa Pod on July 9th. It will be a fantastic result if I can come out top of over 50 of the countries fastest TVRs. :cheers:

2 Stages? I have run a 2 stage system in the past but I seem to recall you advising against a 2 stage set up?

My intention was to run a single stage with a pair of pulsoids feeding each bank of the v8.
I am installing a second feed from the petrol tank with its own pump, filter and regulator at a similar fuel pressure to the previous set up that was simply T’d from the fuel rail supply. The pressure I had previous was around 45 psi and I safely ran with an established Nitrous/fuel ratio of 2.4:1.
I raced with a 150 shot that was fed by twin 11lb heated bottles with 2 5mm Nylon lines meeting at a splitter directly fitted to the pulsoid. This system worked well and knocked my NA time of 13.0 @ 106 down to 11.6 @ 123. I am aiming for 10.9 @ 130+ this year.

When you say ‘small range of jets, that you need to run initially’, what exactly are we talking about?
I would want to run a 75 bhp shot from each pair of pulsoids pretty much straight away after initial tests.
For the event in July I would like to be able to push this to a total of 250, maybe 300.

PS. I hope you are both recovering from the accident swiftly.

Derek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

dbv8 wrote:
It will be a fantastic result if I can come out top of over 50 of the countries fastest TVRs. :cheers:
Best of luck with that and I'm SURE you'll wipe the floor with them. :yes:

2 Stages? I have run a 2 stage system in the past but I seem to recall you advising against a 2 stage set up?
It depends on what you're trying to achieve as to whether or not 2 stages is beneficial but as long as at least 1 stage is progressive, both options are worth considering.

My intention was to run a single stage with a pair of pulsoids feeding each bank of the v8.
I am installing a second feed from the petrol tank with its own pump, filter and regulator at a similar fuel pressure to the previous set up that was simply T’d from the fuel rail supply. The pressure I had previous was around 45 psi and I safely ran with an established Nitrous/fuel ratio of 2.4:1.
I raced with a 150 shot that was fed by twin 11lb heated bottles with 2 5mm Nylon lines meeting at a splitter directly fitted to the pulsoid. This system worked well and knocked my NA time of 13.0 @ 106 down to 11.6 @ 123. I am aiming for 10.9 @ 130+ this year.
That all sounds fine.

When you say ‘small range of jets, that you need to run initially’, what exactly are we talking about?
I would want to run a 75 bhp shot from each pair of pulsoids pretty much straight away after initial tests.
For the event in July I would like to be able to push this to a total of 250, maybe 300.
The small (normal) range are designed to be used with 4mm outlet fittings and pipe. They are physically smaller and become restrictive at higher flow requirements, than our new range of large jets, which are specifically designed to be used with 5mm outlet fittings and pipes. The larger jets only go as low as 100 HP, so that would mean you starting at 200 HP which is obviously undesirable, so you'll need to do the testing and initial setting up using the smaller jets.

PS. I hope you are both recovering from the accident swiftly.
Thanks for the good wishes and swiftly would be nice but we're just happy that we're at least improving slowly. ;)

Derek

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!