NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 1980 safety rules
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:01 am 
Learner

Hi Trev a fellow drag racer from York who is a little misguided made these comments, could you give me some up to date reply comments to put him straight please.....

'I first ran nitrous in 1980. I was lucky enough to be sponsored by Kingston Medical gases a manufacturer of NOS.
Fred Phillips, the Boss actually gave me a health and safety induction on how to handle NOS.
I can remember a few facts.

NOS is a non life supporting gas, if inhaled in large quantities it will asphixiate ( kill ) you.
That means if the bottle safety valve blows off in the car two breaths will result in loss of consciosness, convulsions and death.
NOS is a volatile oxidising agent if absorbed in ANY material, even materials that won't burn in air, that material becomes highly combustable
That means IF NOS leaks in to your clothing and you are exposed to any ignition point you will spontaneously combust.
Any grease or oil exposed to NOS will spontaneously combust. Any combustion supported by NOS is very difficult to extinguish as long as NOS is present.
Skin Exposure to pressurised NOS will result in serious freeze burns
Pressurised NOS bottles when exposed to heat EVEN WITH A SAFETY VALVE, may expload and can rocket through a vehicle structure, and can fragment sending shrapnel hundreds of yards.

If you want to sit next to a bomb full of poison gas then that's entirely up to you. I chose to run my bottle in the boot behind a steel bulkhead. You can do whatever you want.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: 1980 safety rules
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:35 am 
Wizard

Damn - just read the COSHH sheet :rofl: Misguided or what!

You actually managed to listen to this guy without falling over in disbelief?

Fixing issues one support call at a time.......
AKA Blue / IT Rabbit Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:43 am 
Wizard

your so mean you lot your gunna get trevor all worked up again... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:18 am 
Wizard

Experts.....you've got to love them :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :beatstick: :rofl:

Ian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:06 pm 
Wizard

Define the word Expert as it sounds........

Ex = the unknown factor!
Spert = a drip under pressure?

Let me get this right.
For fire you need the triangle dont you?
So how does "materials that won't burn in air, that material becomes highly combustable" work out??

So I could swap my petrol for water ??

If this is right I could have a cheap season next year :rofl:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:31 pm 
Learner

If N2O is sooo toxic then i (we all) would be dead.
The dose is making the poison.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

dbv8 wrote:
Hi Trev a fellow drag racer from York who is a little misguided made these comments, could you give me some up to date reply comments to put him straight please.....
My pleasure

'I first ran nitrous in 1980. I was lucky enough to be sponsored by Kingston Medical gases a manufacturer of NOS.
Fred Phillips, the Boss actually gave me a health and safety induction on how to handle NOS.
I can remember a few facts.
The details of the company and the bosses name etc. are correct and he may well have given this guy a lesson on safe use of nitrous.

NOS is a non life supporting gas, if inhaled in large quantities it will asphixiate ( kill ) you.
Correct.

That means if the bottle safety valve blows off in the car two breaths will result in loss of consciosness, convulsions and death.
UTTER RUBBISH!!!
Just as nitrous is diluted to a safe level for inhalation by the oxygen that is supplied to the mask when nitrous is used as an anaesthetic, so would the air content in the car dilute the nitrous from the safety (LOL) valve blowing to prevent EVEN the loss of consciousness - that guy has either overlooked that fact or he expects the nitrous to MIRACULOUSLY displace all the air (which is IMPOSSIBLE), which it would have to do for the nitrous level to be life threatening.
I had one of my employees make a video of him sitting in a car as a rupture disc was burst (on purpose), describing how he was feeling during the emptying of the full contents - AT NO TIME (EVEN AFTER MINUTES), DID HE EVEN BECOME THE SLIGHTEST BIT INCOHERENT, NEVER MIND DEAD!!!!
I hope to be adding that video to our website soon.

NOS is a volatile oxidising agent if absorbed in ANY material, even materials that won't burn in air, that material becomes highly combustable
That may well be true but of little to NO relevance to the way we use nitrous and I've never known an instance in 35 years of TOTAL nitrous, where that would have been a problem.

That means IF NOS leaks in to your clothing and you are exposed to any ignition point you will spontaneously combust.
Well IF nitrous LIQUID were to get on your clothes and IF someone aimed a flame at your clothes, then yes YOUR CLOTHES would burn more rapidly than they otherwise would. If the same happened with gaseous nitrous the burn rate would be less rapid than with liquid but quicker than in air.
The section at the end of this video perfectly demonstrates this;
http://www.noswizard.com/OLD/videos/Liq ... itrous.wmv

Any grease or oil exposed to NOS will spontaneously combust.
That is the OFFICIAL 'claim' BUT I've yet to see it happen and I've seen instances where IF that was the case IN ACTUAL PRACTICE the way we use nitrous, it should have done but DIDN'T, so that's still one of those grey areas I'm afraid.

Any combustion supported by NOS is very difficult to extinguish as long as NOS is present.
That depends on 'the state' the nitrous is in;
1) If it was unpressurised liquid or gas it would probably be true
However, we don't use it that way so
2) In pressurised liquid form it's UNTRUE as demonstrated in our video;

http://www.noswizard.com/OLD/videos/Fir ... nguish.wmv

Skin Exposure to pressurised NOS will result in serious freeze burns
True and I've had a couple of those myself and I've seen VERY SERIOUS burns to others IN THE NITROUS INDUSTRY as well. I'd rather have a freeze burn than a heat burn any day but again in the way we use nitrous in a car, there is VERY LITTLE risk of END USERS coming in to contact with enough liquid nitrous, never mind suffering the consequences of it.
I think I could count on one hand the number of customers who have reported a freeze burn and NONE of those was serious enough to even show signs of a burn.

Pressurised NOS bottles when exposed to heat EVEN WITH A SAFETY VALVE, may expload and can rocket through a vehicle structure, and can fragment sending shrapnel hundreds of yards.
POTENTAILLY true but ONLY if the 'SAFETY (LOL) VALVE' (LOL) failed to rupture. This was the main reason why I went to the trouble and expense of designing a GENUINE 'SAFETY' - 'VALVE' (our SPRV), which ENTIRELY REMOVES ALL SUCH RISKS.
Makes you wonder why NO other company has bothered to do so!?!?!?!
Having said that, I only know of ONE instance (which itself is a bit 'vague') when a nitrous bottle is 'CLAIMED' to have exploded under those circumstances and that was an AMERICAN bottle in an AMERICAN car, IN AMERICA.

If you want to sit next to a bomb full of poison gas then that's entirely up to you. I chose to run my bottle in the boot behind a steel bulkhead. You can do whatever you want.
Obviously a man with too much 'INFORMATION' but NOT ENOUGH 'KNOWLEDGE' for his own good and as a consequence is suffering from extreme paranoia. :beatstick: :omgrofl: :omgrofl:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

PS. I'll bet EVERYTHING I OWN that he's using a US nitrous kit and that shows you just how DUMB he is.

What's his name by the way?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:35 am 
Learner

I was going to post 2 of them videos that you have posted/talked about Trevor, (the cutting torch and the one in the car with the bottle going off) I'd only watched them myself a couple of days ago but I couldn't remember where the hell I'd got the link from...lol. Old age is making a mockery of my short term memory.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:52 am 
Site Admin

yippeekiay wrote:
I was going to post 2 of them videos that you have posted/talked about Trevor, (the cutting torch and the one in the car with the bottle going off) I'd only watched them myself a couple of days ago but I couldn't remember where the hell I'd got the link from...lol. Old age is making a mockery of my short term memory.

:redface: :redface: You're not the only one because I'd forgotten that I'd ALREADY posted that video clip of the rupture disc bursting AND I didn't even notice it in the list when finding the link for the others, so my eyes let me down as well as my memory. :redface: :redface:

Anyway here's the link to the video I said I get posted soon that IS ALREADY posted;
http://www.noswizard.com/OLD/videos/In% ... %20off.wmv

Just had what I consider a VERY FUNNY thought, we could REVERSE the Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch over this one and say something like;
This is NOT a dead employee, he is NOT bereft of life, he has NOT been nailed to his seat, he has NOT gone to meet his maker, etc. etc. he is ALIVE, he's still talking, he is a live employee!!!!

OK so maybe its not as funny as the original but surely deserving of a titter. :omgrofl:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:25 am 
Wizard

this is the bit that had me in stitches........- AT NO TIME (EVEN AFTER MINUTES), DID HE EVEN BECOME THE SLIGHTEST BIT INCOHERENT, NEVER MIND DEAD!!!! :omgrofl: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

The guy has contacted me and his name is Des Taylor who I know quite well.

If I'd had to guess who it was he would have been one of the top 3 on my list.

It's a shame nobody took me up on my bet, because he's one of those die hard addicts to US JUNK nitrous kits, so he has PLENTY to be worried about. :omgrofl:

Luckily he runs in an ET class, so he doesn't have to push his car too hard (as he would in a heads up class), which means his US JUNK will never be expected to do a great deal and as he has plenty of experience with it, he'll probably be able to avoid many of the reasons why I call such kits JUNK.

Now I don't wish to offend Des (he's a nice guy) but for everyone in future, ALL you need to do to determine if you should listen to what someone has to say about nitrous, is see what brand of nitrous kit they are using.

If they are using ANY US brand, then you can be SURE they do NOT have the slightest understanding of what they are doing with nitrous, because IF THEY DID they would NOT be using SUCH JUNK.

ANYONE who TRULY understands nitrous (and who is aware of WON products) would NOT use US JUNK.

I excuse most American's from that statement, because most of them are not aware of my systems but most Brits are aware of them.

The only acceptable excuses for a Brit using a US kit are;
1) They had it before they knew of my systems
2) They can't afford to replace the JUNK with good quality WON products - although that is debatable because one failure of a US kit will cost FAR MORE than the difference in price between WON and a US kit
3) They had it before they knew about my systems, they don't expect much from it and they fail to appreciate point 2.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:56 pm 
Learner

Yes 'Dyno Des' as hes known and loved on the york forums.
Hell of a nice guy always up early at York and chatting all things drag racing.

He does have a rep however. Did he offer to take a free system off you? :omgrofl:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

dbv8 wrote:
He does have a rep however. Did he offer to take a free system off you? :omgrofl:

Not so far this time but if memory serves me right he has done something similar in the dim distant past and its my guess that he'll stick with what he has unless I offer a free system, so he can't value his safety very highly despite the apparently strong concerns that he's voiced to you. :?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:49 am 
Learner

Quote:
That is the OFFICIAL 'claim' BUT I've yet to see it happen and I've seen instances where IF that was the case IN ACTUAL PRACTICE the way we use nitrous, it should have done but DIDN'T, so that's still one of those grey areas I'm afraid.

Are there any industrial chemists in the building? I read this with a sceptical "What?" expression on my face.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:54 am 
Wizard

2rismo wrote:
Quote:

Are there any industrial chemists in the building? I read this with a sceptical "What?" expression on my face.

I feel "Mythbusters" need to be contacted, I bet they'd love an excuse to play with NOS :omgrofl:

My 840 is like a hot stripper.
I just keep throwing money at her and hope that someday she will give me the ride of my life

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:35 pm 
Wizard

BMW840 wrote:
2rismo wrote:
Quote:

I feel "Mythbusters" need to be contacted, I bet they'd love an excuse to play with NOS :omgrofl:

i love that prog...girls are nice too :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

I'd love to prove it for myself but although its been my RELATIVELY 'cavalier' attitude towards my personal safety that has lead me down the nitrous path to discover things that those more concerned about their own well being would not have done, I draw a line at ACTIVELY trying to cause AN EXPLOSION.

Having said that, I'm reasonably confident that IF that was the unavoidable result of grease etc. (FUEL) coming in to contact with nitrous, I'd have already had my head or at least my hands blown off by now and NO my leg was not blown off in such an incident, that was smashed off in a motorcycle accident. :omgrofl:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:13 pm 
Wizard

i feel special that in my boot lurks something alot of people are so dam scared of :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:16 pm 
Wizard

teddybare wrote:
i feel special that in my boot lurks something alot of people are so dam scared of :mrgreen:

Ted, you've hit the button. When I goto cruises/shows, and boot opens, the reaction tends to be shock from the niave ones. I always gets asked about explosions and should the car display a danger sign.
I now resist arguing :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl:

My 840 is like a hot stripper.
I just keep throwing money at her and hope that someday she will give me the ride of my life

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:55 pm 
Wizard

BMW840 wrote:
teddybare wrote:

Ted, you've hit the button. When I goto cruises/shows, and boot opens, the reaction tends to be shock from the niave ones. I always gets asked about explosions and should the car display a danger sign.
I now resist arguing :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl:

im still amazed by people ritchard.. when i had my paddle clutch fitted by a (high power car specialists) i was fallen over skylines and suburus and yet still i got "thats a bomb just waiting to go off" reaction ... :beatstick:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:25 am 
Wizard

Damn and I drive down the road with the blasted thing in FRONT of ME :shock:

Better go faster and try to get it behind me...........

Fixing issues one support call at a time.......
AKA Blue / IT Rabbit Image

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:11 pm 
Wizard

If you mix oil or grease with pure oxygen at high pressure it will create an unstable explosive compound. Thats a given. Just ask any gas welding expert :)

I'm not sure of the exact science. But isnt the oxygen in nitrous locked away / attached to a fire suppressant molecule??

I guess if the oil or grease was mixed with nitrous at the correct temperature for the oxygen to be freed from mix then an explosion might happen. As usaul there are no guidelines in this claim re the actual events that could make this happen. I guess the obvious would be to take a cup full of liquid nitrous and then drop some oil into it. I suspect the effect would be rapid cooling of the oil to the point that it would go solid??

Who knows???