NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Never judge a book by its cover (or a kit by its hoses)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:30 pm 
You've heard how "no racer uses Wizards" haven't you ?
Really ?
Because the pipes look like this ?

Take another look.

This is an example of some jobs i did a while ago, finally converted to digital !!!!!
Basically it involved hiding Wizards kits within generic US kits.
It just goes to show the meaning of efficiency doesn't it ?
Same "kit HP output" but it fits inside.
Hiding the pipe was the EASY bit, the solenoids took more work ;)

Sorry Trev, I know hiding the kit doesn't help with promotion of your company,
but i did get put between a rock and a hard place at times. :P

Last edited by Loopy on Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:17 am 
Wizard

:redface:

I don't get it...are u saying that NOS uses wizards plastic piping underneath their pretty braids?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:53 am 
Nope, i'm saying that because the Wizards kits are so effecient they're so much smaller than in-efficient US kits they actually fit INSIDE them and produce the same sort of power :lol:

If i remember rightly this was a Wizards 300hp INSIDE a NOS 200hp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:27 am 
Learner

Loopy I thought that the nylon pipe didnt fit inside braided, do you remember if this is Dash 4 or Dash 6?

Would the braided transfer heat to the nylon pipe resulting in liquid nitrous turning to gas.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:40 am 
In this case these were delivery pipes (4mm) which will fit in a few dash 4 pipes or any dash 4 pipe with a little drill action through the fittings first.

As far as heat goes it isn't ideal, but at least we've got an airspace between the braided PTFE inner liner and the plastic pipe for insulation.
It would take longer to heat the plastic up and would stay heated for longer, but also colder for longer if you purged during burn out to cool the system.

For the supply pipes it depended on combination, Earls or Goodridge braided, copper or alloy constant bore
With care and by drilling the fittings out to mere shells you could squeeze 6.4mm ID copper inside Dash6 or 2.8mm ID copper inside Dash4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Mmmm!!!

Well I've done a few jobs of hiding systems myself but never disguised one as a US made kit.
The thing that most people use to determine the make of nitrous kit is the bottle. What they don't realise is the bottle is the least important part and that a growing number of people who unwisely bought other kits have upgraded their system with my Pulsoids & Maximiser.
However my biggest problem is that most people think all kits are the same and they all get called NOS kits, so if I hadn't got a hard enough job working against the exchange rate, I have this stuff to deal with as well. :evil:

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:21 pm 
Judging a system by the bottle ? :lol:
Don't tell me, they judge an engine by its colour ! :shock:

No these were all race systems not road so i can't see their systems being judged by bottle appearance. I should think their secret got out soon enough, you just can't disguise the solenoid outlet position forever.
But with any luck it gave them an advantage for a while ;)
They may not have been your best customers, but they knew who to thank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

Nice to know my efforts have been worthwhile even if I the world isn't aware of the results. ;)

Talking of results, check out Johnny's results as he's made a forward step and when he makes the numbers at least there'll be no doubt who designed / made the system. :mrgreen:

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:19 pm 

I just bought a product that may work as a sufficient sleeving for our nylon pipe to pass inspection if you do have problems. I will be sending some to Highpower this week to see what they think of it and this may cure some of our inspection issues which luckily none of my customers have had yet in the states.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:37 pm 
Noswizard wrote:
even if I the world isn't aware of the results. ;)

:lol: A touch of the meglomaniac coming out in you there Trev !
I always thought the US was "the world" ;)

Johnny's results are certainly going to make people sit up and take some notice, but don't discard the people like JackB, V10 MOJO and RobF150. They may not be at the tops of their trees but they are very serious people, they're people who won't have switched systems lightly and would be first in line to shout if the system didn't perform the same or better.

The day people hide their braided inside plastic may be a long way off but times are changing,
long live the constant bore revolution !!!!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

Loopy wrote:
Noswizard wrote:
even if I the world isn't aware of the results. ;)

:lol: A touch of the meglomaniac coming out in you there Trev !
I always thought the US was "the world" ;)

Johnny's results are certainly going to make people sit up and take some notice, but don't discard the people like JackB, V10 MOJO and RobF150. They may not be at the tops of their trees but they are very serious people, they're people who won't have switched systems lightly and would be first in line to shout if the system didn't perform the same or better.

The day people hide their braided inside plastic may be a long way off but times are changing,
long live the constant bore revolution !!!!! :twisted:

According to 'some' Americans the USA is the world!!!!
Although I hold Johnny in the highest regard and I'm confident his results will have a hugely beneficial effect on my business, I'm also confident that the other customers that Denny has recruited, are also going to play a key roll in the US Nitrous revolution and I'm just as keen to see them do well, especially so we can stick 2 fingers up at those fools on the Viper board who did nothing but talk balls when we tried to pass on some of our unique knowledge. :twisted:

You may be interested to learn that we're getting a growing number of US Promod car guys interested in our products (I wonder why that could be - lol), as well as a growing number of middle class Drag car owners buying our systems.
The funny thing is that not a single high end UK Drag car owner has contacted me for years (other than for Maximisers) and we've only sold a handful of systems to anyone in UK car Drag racing this year, although we are selling a growing number to UK Drag bikes. I wonder how long it'll be before the British Drag car owners realise they could be running so much quicker if they bought my products instead of the US stuff.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:12 pm 
Noswizard wrote:
[The funny thing is that not a single high end UK Drag car owner has contacted me for years (other than for Maximisers) and we've only sold a handful of systems to anyone in UK car Drag racing this year, although we are selling a growing number to UK Drag bikes.
Regards

Well if you started selling "proper race systems" and not just "little kits for little cars" i'm sure they'd buy one.
God help me, If i have to explain that one simple fact once more this month i'm going to scream !
It must be all that dealing in thou jet sizes thats screwed with their maths,
or is it simply the herd like mentality ? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

It's more like the sheep like mentality so that would be flock then!!! :evil:

They look at the USA because the Americans run the quickest times but they forget to take in to account a number of factors;
1) My systems are unknown to 99.9% of the US population (although that has started to change recently), so the fact that US cars use US nitrous kits doesn't mean that US kits are better than mine.
2) Americans have a huge amount of advantages that we don't benefit from over here (better tracks, more track time, better weather, etc. etc.), so comparing US results with UK results is pointless.
3) If my systems can produce better results than US kits on unmodified small capacity engines, it follows that the they'd be even better on big purpose built engines because it's easier to achieve reliable results on a purpose built race engine than a stock OEM engine.

All we need to do is turn the leader of the flock in our direction and the rest should follow. ;)

It'll happen soon enough.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:18 pm 
Learner

Mmmm - I like how that looks Loopy. What sizes are the nylon line available in? ID / OD info would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:09 pm 

Beyond wrote:
Mmmm - I like how that looks Loopy. What sizes are the nylon line available in? ID / OD info would be great.

Here are the sizes available and when you click to enter each product there will be specs.
http://www.noswizard.com/index.php?cPat ... 249ecfc857

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Beyond,

I'm expecting you to need more power than the nylon pipe will flow, so it's not an option at this time.
However I'm constantly making efforts to obtain higher flow and higher spec pipe for my systems, so we may have something for you in the future.

By the way Johnny's recent results should fill you with confidence. ;)

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:11 pm 
Learner

Oh well, maybe down the road you'll have something. I do like the flowpath your setup has with the olives, just wish it was available in larger sizes.

I talked to JB this weekend, sounds like everything is really coming around for him! Good news for sure.

My system will be firing up later this month.

By any chance does someone make the fittings/olives like what you use that would work with typical American -4 line?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

If they do I've yet to find them and if anyone else finds someone who does before I do, please let me know. ;)

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:59 pm 
Beyond >
I take you were refering to supply pipes since the delivery pipe sizes shouldn't be a problem, the 4mm OD 2mm ID can flow 300+ over 3 feet(Trev?)
Now for supply pipes, it gets a bit tricky.
Plastic pipe over 150hp isn't available, but metal is.
You've got a choice of copper or alloy tubing in a wide range of sizes. Metric and imperial from 4mm - 1/8 OD 2.6mm ID to 10mm - 3/8 OD 7.1mm ID
Now classed as "semi rigid" tube this does need careful consideration.
On a flexible mounted engine i would seriously advise chassis mounting the solenoids / distribution block and using the nylon delivery pipes as the flexible link.
On a solidly mounted engine then just pay careful attention to the pipe supports, you don't want the pipe resonating.
And if you have tech problems just sheath it with any braided that slips over it, as per the example above it can even be made to look like the braided pipe does something !

For suitable compression type fittings for metal type pipe, ask in the same place you got the pipe, about the only size thats tricky is 4mm OD and sometimes 5mm, above that you're laughing.
Several actual types of compression fitting, we use the metal / plastic universal type rather than the other types, no difference really.

Remember, you cannot use compression type fittings with your PTFE braided dash 4 lines, it can't be externally compressed without internal support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

The shorter the run the higher the flow capacity.

Our latest low pressure pipe (LOL - still good for 1,500 psi) has a 2.5mm ID and is certainly good to outflow the Pulsoid in a sensible install.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:03 pm 
Learner

Yes, Loopy, the supply line is what I'm referring to.

Quote:
Remember, you cannot use compression type fittings with your PTFE braided dash 4 lines, it can't be externally compressed without internal support.
That's the restriction, the internal support. We have some fairly restrictive rules in what I'm doing, not for safety, it's to somewhat level the playing field. I need to find something flexable with a braided cover to fit within the rules, ideally something that I can put a crimp on the ends (looks like standard NOS brand lines and dimensionally similar)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:12 pm 
The moment you say external braiding it means you can't use external compression fittings.
It sounds like your rules were written specifically to preclude the use of constant bore pipe work. Most odd !

Last edited by Loopy on Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:34 pm 
Learner

Oh it's not really odd, they are trying to slow the cars down on purpose., the entire purpose of limiting the hose size was to slow the cars down, it just didn't work as good as the rule makers figured so they put even more restrictions on it.

I'm not even sure it's going to be an issue on my setup, just trying to do a bit of research just in case some more flow is needed down the road. Trevor got me started on this getting picky about the flow path LOL, so I keep looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

I may be wrong but if I supplied you the braided hose for your kit then it's got "my special treatment" and will flow more than normal braided will and with less disruptions etc.

If I didn't supply the hose then we can offer you a special hose as described above.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:42 pm 
Learner

Trevor - haven't been visiting for a while and was just following up on this thread... I'm extremely interested in what you have available that would have or appear to have crimped ends, have an external braid and not be over .340" O.D.