NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Just bought a WON Kit for my 300ZX
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:52 pm 
Learner

Hey guys, i posted on here a fair while ago asking about nitrous for my 300ZX. I ended up doing a Twin Turbo conversion and converting the car to run on E85, all built and tuned by myself. As soon as i converted the car to E85 the power was amazing, second gear at only 12PSI was wheelspin upto 100kph with my 295/30R18 Hankook Evo1 tyres, so when i turned it up to 21PSI the car was almost undriveable with how the power came on, it would hit 17PSI by 3300RPM in 3rd gear.

I spent a lot of time getting the car ready for the drag strip and aiming for my goal of an 11.99 ET or better (and 115mph trap or better). Put on a set of Mickey Thompson ET street tyres(255/60R15) and the car was very fun to drive, traction in every gear and planting the throttle felt like being shot out of a rocket.

I took the car to the drag strip, with high hopes i must add.... went through scrutineering and lined up ready to go. Did my burnout, got on the Anti-lag, launched and broke both back axles :loser:

Turns out the Non turbo differential has weaker axles that break with any decent power and grip. I have an R32 GTR 4.11 LSD here along with 300ZX TT axles ready to be installed which should hold any power i can throw at them easily(guys do wheelies on them!) and now i have placed my order for a WON SB150i2 Nitrous kit and raising my goal for a 11.99 to a 10.99! :twisted:

Some Pictures, sorry about the crappy paint and bumpers but i put performance before looks :P

Mod List:
UAS Twin 2.5" Catback Exhaust
Highflow Cats
BDE Top Feed Fuel Rails
Bosch 1000cc E85 Injectors
Turbosmart FPR800
All E85 Compatible fuel lines
KLS Intercooler (580x280x70)
AMS 2.5" Turbo Inlets
Selin Dual MAF Translator - Twin Z32 MAF's/Twin Intake
Turbosmart Eboost2
Competition Brass Button Clutch
NA Z32 Rear End (4.08LSD) - Broken axles, being replaced with an R32 GTR 4.11 LSD
Nistune ECU - Flex fuel
GM Flex fuel sensor
21PSI

And now a WON SB150i2 Kit :D

So with any luck next month i'll be back at the drag strip with a potent setup and if i can row the gears as well as i think, it should run a decent time.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Just bought a WON Kit for my 300ZX
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:00 am 
Wizard

Awesome! With E85 and the nitrous hit, the car will go like it had booster rockets strapped on! :yes: :yes:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:30 am 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
Awesome! With E85 and the nitrous hit, the car will go like it had booster rockets strapped on! :yes: :yes:

I hope it does! I'm going to try and hide the nitrous kit as here in australia its not legal to have nitrous in a road car. All in all with a 100 shot and a good launch the car should be capable of a 10 second pass..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:20 am 
Wizard

With E85, you can go beyond 100 without issues even at high boost. However at that level I'd recommend a direct port installation to get the correct dispersion. Adding too much nitrous through a single injector at the throttle body can cause some uneven distribution resulting in other cylinders making more power than others.

Just be sure to rout your piping correctly when hiding the system. Fuel tubes that are too long can cause a momentary lean condition on primary activation. I highly suggest a max extreme for your application, it will prove to be your greatest asset in cutting down ET's and protect your hardware from violent onsets of high torque.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:06 am 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
With E85, you can go beyond 100 without issues even at high boost. However at that level I'd recommend a direct port installation to get the correct dispersion. Adding too much nitrous through a single injector at the throttle body can cause some uneven distribution resulting in other cylinders making more power than others.

Just be sure to rout your piping correctly when hiding the system. Fuel tubes that are too long can cause a momentary lean condition on primary activation. I highly suggest a max extreme for your application, it will prove to be your greatest asset in cutting down ET's and protect your hardware from violent onsets of high torque.

Yeah, i've been talking to Trevor on facebook about all that. I am planning to get a Max when funds allow but for the moment i'll run with what i have ready. I can't wait to see what its like to drive, the switch to E85 was amazing... the car was completely transformed and the short gearing made it really fun on the street.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:36 am 
Wizard

SRB-2NV wrote:
Turbobox wrote:

Yeah, i've been talking to Trevor on facebook about all that. I am planning to get a Max when funds allow but for the moment i'll run with what i have ready. I can't wait to see what its like to drive, the switch to E85 was amazing... the car was completely transformed and the short gearing made it really fun on the street.

It's well worth the money, even if you have to wash cars with a bikini on the weekends to get it! :pukeleft:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
It's well worth the money, even if you have to wash cars with a bikini on the weekends to get it! :pukeleft:

Can't argue with that and just WISH that I'd invented and created pulsed technology a few years earlier, so I could have benefitted from it myself while I was racing. I had to make do with THREE stages and I've no doubt that I'd have run a good 0.5 secs quicker if I'd had a single progressive system instead.

SUCH IS LIFE!!!! :rolleyes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:32 am 
Learner

Well it seems to have shipped fast and i have gotten a message from the shipping company that it should be here tomorrow, unfortunately i got stung with a new import tax that meant i had to pay almost 20% of what i paid for the nitrous kit in taxes :(

I was just wondering, since i know that the figures are completely theoretical gains but what gains have you guys seen with a turbocharged vehicle? The only Z32 results i can find are again with US kits, the cars seem to gain 60-70% OVER what the nitrous shot is rated to (eg: a 60 shot gained ~105hp atw on the same boost level).

Another question is how far from the throttle body should the crossfire injectors be mounted? I know the pulsoid line length should be less than 12" or so.

I ask because my car is driven on the street and here in australia it is illegal to have a nitrous kit fitted and it is punishable by a 3 month impound, so i want everything to be as sneaky as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

SRB-2NV wrote:
Well it seems to have shipped fast and i have gotten a message from the shipping company that it should be here tomorrow,
EXCELLENT news. :yes:

unfortunately i got stung with a new import tax that meant i had to pay almost 20% of what i paid for the nitrous kit in taxes :(
:x It's sickening how Governments bleed us dry at every opportunity. We're often tempted to lower the invoice value to assist customers avoid such taxes but if we do that and the parcel gets lost or damaged, they use that value instead of the real value for compensation, so it's a matter of being caught between a rock and a hard place. :cry:

I was just wondering, since i know that the figures are completely theoretical gains but what gains have you guys seen with a turbocharged vehicle? The only Z32 results i can find are again with US kits, the cars seem to gain 60-70% OVER what the nitrous shot is rated to (eg: a 60 shot gained ~105hp atw on the same boost level).
The problem with turbo cars is that there is no way of knowing, as the power increase depends on so many factors, all of which are unknowns.
I seldom hear that a customer has made less than DOUBLE the THEORETICAL power and the most extreme example was on a Subaru that made TWO HUNDRED HP EXTRA from JUST TWENTY FIVE HP JETS!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Even I was in shock when the customer reported that one to me, as up to that time the biggest increase we'd had reported from 25 HP was 100 HP gain.

Another question is how far from the throttle body should the crossfire injectors be mounted? I know the pulsoid line length should be less than 12" or so.
That's also a difficult one as it depends on the configuration of the manifold. What you need to aim for is the position that is most likely to deliver the best distribution and quite often that can be further from the cylinder heads rather than close to them.

I ask because my car is driven on the street and here in australia it is illegal to have a nitrous kit fitted and it is punishable by a 3 month impound, so i want everything to be as sneaky as possible.
I had a customer who raced in the World Rally Championship where nitrous is not allowed and the cars have to pass stringent scrutineering before they can race. We hid the bottle in a rear belly pan attached to the rear bumper and ran the hose to the front of the car through the chassis rail. We then mounted the Pulsoids AND the Crossfire injector INSIDE the air filter housing, which conveniently sat on top of the chassis rail. We positioned the Crossfire to fire into the throttle housing and the whole package passed scrutineering without a hitch. The car was mental without nitrous and even with just a 25 HP increase it was SERIOUSLY MENTAL and ENORMOUS FUN to be in, while the driver tested it down the mountain slopes on the island of Madeira.
With a bit of thought it should be possible to hide the system without too much effort.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:27 am 
Wizard

without actual data, I'd say I gain twice as much power from my car with 25 jetting as te intervooling effect makes such a difference between boost only and nitrous. Mind you my cars boost get pretty hot with a small turbo and 20ish psi. Once I'm done fixing my Lexus I think I'll do a clutch on it. The car is begging to get the power to the pavement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:34 am 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
without actual data, I'd say I gain twice as much power from my car with 25 jetting as te intervooling effect makes such a difference between boost only and nitrous. Mind you my cars boost get pretty hot with a small turbo and 20ish psi. Once I'm done fixing my Lexus I think I'll do a clutch on it. The car is begging to get the power to the pavement.

Yeah the factory turbos on the 300ZX are TINY, they support 21PSI in the midrange on my setup but nose dive back to 16-17PSI up top due to compressor limitations. The turbine side is fairly small aswell, at higher boost levels the exhaust backpressure can get a bit up there... so i may try a slightly lower boost setting of 16PSI and more nitrous rather than 21PSI and less nitrous.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:37 am 
Site Admin

Nitrous produces better results when used at lower max boost pressures, so that's the way to go but unfortunately, having a restrictive exhaust side will ultimately limit the amount of power you can make from it.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:41 am 
Wizard

SRB-2NV wrote:
Turbobox wrote:

Yeah the factory turbos on the 300ZX are TINY, they support 21PSI in the midrange on my setup but nose dive back to 16-17PSI up top due to compressor limitations. The turbine side is fairly small aswell, at higher boost levels the exhaust backpressure can get a bit up there... so i may try a slightly lower boost setting of 16PSI and more nitrous rather than 21PSI and less nitrous.

Even better... Although the the exhaust side is your limitation, at those boost levels the nitrous is working more in your favor. The boost will be so cool that the detonation threshold will be thrust back and the retarded timing by the computer also favors the nitrous combustion rate. I vote more boost and a some more nitrous. Of course not too much, there are limitations to how far the detonation limit gets pushed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:13 am 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
SRB-2NV wrote:
Turbobox wrote:

Even better... Although the the exhaust side is your limitation, at those boost levels the nitrous is working more in your favor. The boost will be so cool that the detonation threshold will be thrust back and the retarded timing by the computer also favors the nitrous combustion rate. I vote more boost and a some more nitrous. Of course not too much, there are limitations to how far the detonation limit gets pushed.

I'm not TOO concerned about detonation on E85 as the car can reach MBT on this fuel well before detonation, the timing map is about 8 degree's advanced over the 98 octane map and is still very safe on E85. I am worried that the small turbos won't allow me to run as much nitrous as i want but if it can handle a 100 shot it should be enough to propel me into the 10 second range :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:30 am 
Wizard

You'll know when you're at the limit when any jetting increases yield little gains and EGT is abnormally high. Worst case, the turbos burn and you can upgrade. :yes:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:15 am 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
You'll know when you're at the limit when any jetting increases yield little gains and EGT is abnormally high. Worst case, the turbos burn and you can upgrade. :yes:

It should be enough for me to try a 100 shot, i don't plan on more than that on the factory internals. My other motor, once finished i'll be planning on 150+.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

The BEST thing about nitrous, is that even IF you can't make an increase over the PEAK power you can still change the power 'curve' to a flat line (in the extreme example) and that still equates to quicker acceleration. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:26 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
The BEST thing about nitrous, is that even IF you can't make an increase over the PEAK power you can still change the power 'curve' to a flat line (in the extreme example) and that still equates to quicker acceleration. :yes:

Yes indeed! The overall power curve is increased a lot in my little sonic! The gains on the Z car would be awesome by comparison!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:59 pm 
Learner

I managed to get a dyno sheet from one of the US guys running a US kit. 98 octane, 13psi made 331hp atw and 18psi with a 70 shot made 516hp.. i know its not a won kit but it gives me a lot of hope for my own setup considering i do have a won kit AND E85 :-D

Attachments:
12180069_10153195918803133_2096176502_n.jpg
12180069_10153195918803133_2096176502_n.jpg [ 95.66 KiB | Viewed 23631 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Unless I'm losing my marbles or missing something, IF that run was at full throttle for the entire RPM range and unless the wastegate is doing something it shouldn't that yours might mirror, there's a LOT MORE Potential than you currently realise.

Based on the above and assuming the engine was at full throttle and that the wastegate was performing correctly, that nitrous kit is PERFORMING TERRIBLY BAD.

At worst the power curve should follow the blue line on my edited graph and it would only be THAT BAD, if the wastegate dumps everything above the standard boost level, albeit it belatedly.
If the wastegate DIDN'T dump the increased boost the power curve should be as shown by the green line on my edited graph.

Attachment:
Turbo graph edited.jpg
Turbo graph edited.jpg [ 111.24 KiB | Viewed 23628 times ]

One thing is ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN, there should be NO circumstance when a nitrous assisted turbo engine makes LESS power over ANY part of the RPM range, as this one is doing.

Unfortunately I can't quickly find a graph for a similar type of vehicle using our system but the following graph shows how it should be even though this one is on a TDI engine.
This is also using a progressive controller, so the 'hit' isn't as instant as would otherwise be the case and you can see there is a degree of progression from initiation to full power;

Attachment:
Darkside dyno run diesel 459hp nos 70.jpg
Darkside dyno run diesel 459hp nos 70.jpg [ 99.13 KiB | Viewed 23627 times ]

If I come across a petrol alternative I'll post that for you ASAP - there may even be a number of them elsewhere on the forum and/or on our Facebook page.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Found a suitable result and graph on our Facebook page, which had the following report with it;

Although even our fixed hit systems are world renowned for being very smooth, I thought I'd share this customers dyno example of the WON system on this Cosworth powered Escort, as it's an outstanding example of that. Starting with a baseline turbo 'only' power of 665 Hp, the addition of just 25 HP from his WON fixed system, produced an increase of an extra 54, taking it up to 719 Hp. Such a shame that NA engines don’t make as much from so little, as the nitrous would last much longer for more customers. Unfortunately the customer hasn't yet sent us any pictures of the car and the system, so we only have the dyno results for this one.

Attachment:
1501638_882458328433214_2460216017959294672_o.jpg
1501638_882458328433214_2460216017959294672_o.jpg [ 90.76 KiB | Viewed 23627 times ]

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:31 am 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
Unless I'm losing my marbles or missing something, IF that run was at full throttle for the entire RPM range and unless the wastegate is doing something it shouldn't that yours might mirror, there's a LOT MORE Potential than you currently realise.

Based on the above and assuming the engine was at full throttle and that the wastegate was performing correctly, that nitrous kit is PERFORMING TERRIBLY BAD.

At worst the power curve should follow the blue line on my edited graph and it would only be THAT BAD, if the wastegate dumps everything above the standard boost level, albeit it belatedly.
If the wastegate DIDN'T dump the increased boost the power curve should be as shown by the green line on my edited graph.

Attachment:
Turbo graph edited.jpg

One thing is ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN, there should be NO circumstance when a nitrous assisted turbo engine makes LESS power over ANY part of the RPM range, as this one is doing.

Unfortunately I can't quickly find a graph for a similar type of vehicle using our system but the following graph shows how it should be even though this one is on a TDI engine.
This is also using a progressive controller, so the 'hit' isn't as instant as would otherwise be the case and you can see there is a degree of progression from initiation to full power;

Attachment:
Darkside dyno run diesel 459hp nos 70.jpg

If I come across a petrol alternative I'll post that for you ASAP - there may even be a number of them elsewhere on the forum and/or on our Facebook page.

The two upper curves are the torque and power curves, if you have a look there are two fairly light red lines and those are the non nitrous power and torque curves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:06 am 
Site Admin

OK that certainly makes more sense and takes the blame off the nitrous kit, to some degree anyway.

I would think there must either be something unusual about this type of engine/turbo combo or about this specific one, as that's a very big peak torque increase compared to the power increase it's making.

Also most of what I mentioned earlier still applies although to a much lesser degree, as both the torque and power prematurely drop off by a substantial amount, compared to what I would normally expect.

Turbo engines and their torque/power capabilities are complex and unpredictable things, which become even more complex when you add nitrous oxide, so at this stage it's anyone's guess as to exactly how your car will respond but I'll be VERY SURPRISED & DISAPPOINTED, if you don't see a worthwhile increase over and above the results in the dyno sheet.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:37 am 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
OK that certainly makes more sense and takes the blame off the nitrous kit, to some degree anyway.

I would think there must either be something unusual about this type of engine/turbo combo or about this specific one, as that's a very big peak torque increase compared to the power increase it's making.

Also most of what I mentioned earlier still applies although to a much lesser degree, as both the torque and power prematurely drop off by a substantial amount, compared to what I would normally expect.

Turbo engines and their torque/power capabilities are complex and unpredictable things, which become even more complex when you add nitrous oxide, so at this stage it's anyone's guess as to exactly how your car will respond but I'll be VERY SURPRISED & DISAPPOINTED, if you don't see a worthwhile increase over and above the results in the dyno sheet.

The drop off is due to the factory turbos, they tend to drop back to 16psi by redline as thats all they can hold despite being able to make 20+ in the midrange. He is also running the automatic 300zx turbos with 0.54a/r turbine housings.... mine runs larger manual turbine housings with 0.64a/r housings.... they stil drop off but it shouldn't be as bad as that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:40 am 
Site Admin

That may well be the case but the US nitrous kit is also very likely to be either be entirely responsible or at least partially responsible for that, as they density of the nitrous varies so much, especially when they aren't fitted optimally.

Where has he run the supply hose, inside or outside the car?

Also just in case you haven't seen the note in your order, you can find the fitting instructions for most of yours here;

http://www.noswizard.com/installation-manuals

However, as yours is a bit 'special' (having dual fuel Pulsoids), might I suggest that you just put together a mock up of how you think the system should be fitted and then send me some pics to check over, before you cut any pipes etc. and then I can advise you if that's correct or not and save you a great deal of potential trouble.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)