NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Newbie looking for some advice on fuel pressure.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:45 pm 

First off, Hi.

My name is Ben and i run a 50's aircooled beetle which this winter will be adding nitrous to the setup.

This is my first foray into the use of Nitrous and some advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a partial Wizards kit, i say partial its pretty much all there and i picked up a large WON bottle and heater last night, i am running the setup relatively old school and low tech, no ecu, just distributor fired (no crank trigger) so timing will be retarded and locked out manually etc, one fogger per cylinder via both nitrous and fuel distribution blocks.

My main question is regarding fuel pressure, i know guys that run this kit on their aircooled engines ( very successfully ) but they all run fuel injection, the norm for them seems to be to just tee into the pressure side of their existing fuel system and run with it.

I will be looking at running 2 fuel pumps, the one that currently feeds the carbs ( redtop Facet, dead head regulated ) and a second pump to run the nitrous fuel supply with hobbs switch.

Now heres where im all in the dark, what fuel pressure do i need to be running on the nitrous side, if its high pressure then i'll need to build it around a fuel injection pump with regulator and return back to the tank, if its low enough i can run another redtop and dead head it again.

Your input would be greatly appreciated, go easy on me, im new to all this so excuse me if im a bit green :)

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for some advice on fuel pressure.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:04 pm 
Wizard

Welcome to the forum!

You can use the system all the way down to pure gravity feed because it is dependent on the fuel jet size for the power level you intend to use. So as long as the fuel pump you are using is capable of flowing enough fuel for your goals, then you will be fine.

Here is an example:

If you are running low fuel pressures (for your carbs in this case) then a 1:1 jet ratio is would be used. For 50 HP, you would start out with 100 Nitrous and 100 fuel.

High pressure systems (40psi ballpark) would use somewhere around 2:1 - 2.5:1 (100 Nitrous & 50 fuel - 100 N & 40 F).

Once you select your jets, carry out the static test to see where the initial mixture range is and adjust from there. The information is all on this forum and the main website.

Here is some information regarding jet choice: http://noswizard.com/pdf/Jet%20changing.pdf

And here is the static test procedure: http://noswizard.com/pdf/Static%20test%20only%201.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:18 am 

Turbobox many thanks for your reply, another facet pump should be more than ample, a 50 shot is where i will be starting and probably running for next season, i shall definately be trawling through the site for info and tips over the winter period. I'll keep you posted on my progress and i will be using the dyno to get the final tune on it.

Thanks again for your input. :)

Ben

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:47 am 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

You can use the system all the way down to pure gravity feed because it is dependent on the fuel jet size for the power level you intend to use. So as long as the fuel pump you are using is capable of flowing enough fuel for your goals, then you will be fine.

Here is an example:

If you are running low fuel pressures (for your carbs in this case) then a 1:1 jet ratio is would be used. For 50 HP, you would start out with 100 Nitrous and 100 fuel.

High pressure systems (40psi ballpark) would use somewhere around 2:1 - 2.5:1 (100 Nitrous & 50 fuel - 100 N & 40 F).

Once you select your jets, carry out the static test to see where the initial mixture range is and adjust from there. The information is all on this forum and the main website.

Here is some information regarding jet choice: http://noswizard.com/pdf/Jet%20changing.pdf

And here is the static test procedure: http://noswizard.com/pdf/Static%20test%20only%201.pdf

Excellent answer. :salute:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!