NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nitrous Refills
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:55 am 
Wizard

:shock: Glad no one was hurt :yes: So you broke the 5mm nylon?

:cheers: Nige

Buell 1125r 9.49@140

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:33 pm 

eldoodarino wrote:
:o blimey that sounds dangerous..

can you take a piccy of what failed....

i was half thinking of buying a big bottle next season...mm ... i might not.. :idea:

Chris

Hi Chris :)

Cannot take piccy as tried to remake the pipe with old olives ..which didnt work...

This morning ..brand new 5 mm pipe, new olives and unions, and my trusty WON nylon pipe cutter (which is BRILLIANT) and made new pipe in 30 seconds..

The problem as usual wasnt the pipe it was me.....getting old I think lol...

I had TURNED my big bottle on its circular stand AWAY from the direction it was MEANT to be facing and didnt realise that the pipe from the big bottle to the 11 lb bottle was at an angle of at LEAST 90 degrees, maybe 130 or 140 degrees.....and SNAP...LOL

So "user error" as we say in computers.....lolllllllllllllllll

Fun evening though :)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:12 pm 
Wizard

Opss , 20lbs of gas i would haver cried or laught a lot depending on if i got out room intime or not , but cool ya both fine , this is one of the reason i cant keep an 88lb bottle in me livingroom , lol mind you if i get any more bottles i wont be far of

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:25 pm 

Yeah, cheers for last night Brett you saved my bacon. Shame we couldn't get the pipe fixed but hey ho. That bottle will last me a good 2-3 weeks so hopefully you can get the other bottle filled ok.

Thanks for your advice and the talk through your MAD :twisted: system.lol.

See you soon.

Murray

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:36 pm 

Murray203ps wrote:
Yeah, cheers for last night Brett you saved my bacon. Shame we couldn't get the pipe fixed but hey ho. That bottle will last me a good 2-3 weeks so hopefully you can get the other bottle filled ok.

Thanks for your advice and the talk through your MAD :twisted: system.lol.

See you soon.

Murray

Hi Murray :)

No problem :)

I made a new pipe in a couple of minutes this morning...the new olives just slid onto the new pipe...lol

Anthony is sending me down some yellow/black stickers for your bottle and will fill it on Sunday after a night in the freezer :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:42 am 
Site Admin

Brett, what are you like?!?!?! :twisted:

Glad you braved it and saved your gas, because as you proved, its not as scary as it sounds to deal with such an issue.

You should have been in my place one day when one of my not so smart EX-employees was carrying out some testing.

We had a nitrogen bottle which had a 3ft or so length of braided hose connected to it stood in the test room and I told him to connect it to a solenoid to test it. However, because the solenoid had a nylon pipe fitting for the ilet, he decided to get a piece of nylon pipe and a few adaptors to connect it to the solenoid rather than change the solenoid inlet to suit the braided. Now that would have been bad enough if he'd used our high pressure nylon pipe but he used the standard fuel type instead, which at the time was only rated at a few hundred psi.
When he turned the nitrogen on which had well over 1,500 psi in it, the nylon pipe burst and the force of the escaping gas propelled the braided hose like a demented snake lashing out in all directions RANDOMLY smashing everything within striking distance.

I grabbed a sweeping brush and attempted to pin the pipe down, so we could turn off the bottle valve and after God knows how many attaempts I finally managed it and all was back under control.

Needless to say I never entrusted him with anything more than boiling a kettle after that and we implemented some safety steps that we still use to this day, like having braided hoses that are attached to bottles, secured to the test bench in numerous places and having easily accessible QA valves somewhere close to the end.

Now this is another example of why nylon hose is so much better and safer than braided.

In a similar incident many years before when at a race track, the braided hose actually hit one of my guys thumbs and smashed it to bits BIG TIME. Whilst on yet another similar incident I was lashed by NYLON hose and only suffered relatively mild whipping before the hose broke off and ended the drama.

GIVE ME NYLON PIPE ANY DAY FOR EVERY JOB!!!!

Chris,

As long as you take reasonable precautions, ensure the pipe is routed correctly and not subjected to any form of abuse, you'll be fine with your own large bottle, especially with our nylon hose. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:37 pm 

Hi :)

Just to let you all know, I refilled Murrays bottle today with no problems at all lol (new pipe and olives and unions)

As Trev says. it was MY fault for not noticing the big bottle was twisted AWAY from the small 11 lb bottle, at the angle it was it put too much pressure on the pipe and snapped it, I am pretty sure ,looking at the angle afterwards that if would have happened even if the Nitrous was turned off....

Ah well you live and learn lol :)

Murray your bottle is now full whenever you run out, we will swap it....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:57 pm 

Brett928S2 wrote:

Just to let you all know, I refilled Murrays bottle today with no problems at all lol (new pipe and olives and unions)

As Trev says. it was MY fault for not noticing the big bottle was twisted AWAY from the small 11 lb bottle, at the angle it was it put too much pressure on the pipe and snapped it, I am pretty sure ,looking at the angle afterwards that if would have happened even if the Nitrous was turned off....

Thanks Brett.

How long did it take you to fill in the end? I'm probably nearly out after several run ins with an M3.lol. :)

Will probably give you a call beginning of next week if thats ok.

Cheers

Murray

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:00 pm 
Wizard

murry if ya having as Much fun in the m3 as i do on me bike ya better get Bret make ya up a spare room :-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:05 pm 

Murray203ps wrote:
Brett928S2 wrote:

Thanks Brett.

How long did it take you to fill in the end? I'm probably nearly out after several run ins with an M3.lol. :)

Will probably give you a call beginning of next week if thats ok.

Cheers

Murray

Hi Murray :)

Put your bottle in the freezer for a few hours and then took about 3 minutes to fill :)

Ring me whenever you wish to swap bottles :)

I will refill mine , so I always have a spare for you :)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:08 am 
Wizard

Just found out about one near Pod

Websters Race Engineers,
unit3 Sanders Lodge ind Estate,
Rushden,
Northhants,

Just got that from Alex at Nitrous Supplies

Fixing issues one support call at a time.......
AKA Blue / IT Rabbit Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:31 pm 
Learner

If you live in Shropshire, this refiller may be of use to you:

Dave Beck Racing, Whitchurch, Shropshire.

PM me for the number, as its his home number, dont want to post it publically.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:15 pm 
Wizard

Just used Complete Car Care in peterborough - good fast service :yes:

Mind you - he needs to be used or he will stop doing N2O refils as he isnt doing enough to make it worth wile.

Fixing issues one support call at a time.......
AKA Blue / IT Rabbit Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:39 pm 
Wizard

i spy with my little eye, something beginning with.......fecking huge nos bottle lol 8)
just arrived today, 80lbs of nos to my door :twisted:

latest info on nitrous oxide supplies prices, shown without vat
bottle rental 12months £80
delivery (even if only collecting an empty bottle) £20
gas refill £235

basically to open a contract your going to need £400 once the vat is added

i might do refills, ive not made my mind up yet about it but if i decide to ill post it up :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:36 pm 
Learner

If it helps, I just had a very successful fill-up at Rowleys, just off the M5 in Devon. Good bunch of lads and I got an ice cold heavy NOS bottle back from them. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:50 pm 

mrmoo wrote:
i spy with my little eye, something beginning with.......fecking huge nos bottle lol 8)

just arrived today, 80lbs of nos to my door :twisted:

latest info on nitrous oxide supplies prices, shown without vat
bottle rental 12months £80
delivery (even if only collecting an empty bottle) £20
gas refill £235

basically to open a contract your going to need £400 once the vat is added

i might do refills, ive not made my mind up yet about it but if i decide to ill post it up :)

Originally I didn't intend to refill others....

But several local Nitrous users asked and I figured not to make a large profit but at least the small profit would pay for my bottle rental etc....

I charge £5 per lb and the nearest pro re-filler charges £6.50..another bike shop 20 miles away charges £9.50 :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:08 pm 
Learner

dbv8 wrote:
York only rarely has someone there with a supply these days.
I was quoted £243 + 94 + 18 for the gas and a years bottle hire and delivery = £355.
This equates to about £4.30 / lb with 7 fills/year.
Substantial savings would only be made if i could supply enough people to warrant 3 or 4 bottles per annum.
A second hand compressor can be picked up for a fair price but as you say the pump is the stinger.

That's only true if you could get 80lbs from the bottle. I've never managed to get more than 65lbs from a new one and once only got 50! AND I have a pump.

I've had to put my prices up as I realised I was selling at a loss :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:16 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
Whilst on yet another similar incident I was lashed by NYLON hose and only suffered relatively mild whipping before the hose broke off and ended the drama.

Lashed? mild whipping?

Sounds like a normal day in the Highpower office to me :rofl:

I had my first serious freeze burn last week. Again not the lines fault, had the scales set wrong and over-pressurised the bottle while I was swilling it to get more in! Line came out of the bottle and gave me a nice whipping (ahem), but the nitrous released from the bottle caught me straight across the forearm. Lovely bit of frostbite and talk about a schoolboy error :redface:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:18 am 

Streetcar Nitrous wrote:
Noswizard wrote:
Whilst on yet another similar incident I was lashed by NYLON hose and only suffered relatively mild whipping before the hose broke off and ended the drama.

Lashed? mild whipping?

Sounds like a normal day in the Highpower office to me :rofl:

I had my first serious freeze burn last week. Again not the lines fault, had the scales set wrong and over-pressurised the bottle while I was swilling it to get more in! Line came out of the bottle and gave me a nice whipping (ahem), but the nitrous released from the bottle caught me straight across the forearm. Lovely bit of frostbite and talk about a schoolboy error :redface:

Lol....thats worth a second read for anyone with a new big bottle.....

We have all had that Nitrous burn and take my word...it HURTS !!!

Nowdays I ALWAYS AND I MEAN ALWAYS wear a pair of the Snap-On reinforced gloves when filling.....

Interesting about not getting 82 lbs from a bottle even with a pump though...

I have just started writing down EVERY fill I do....

Last bottle was 14 lbs short :(

NitrousOxideSullpies say it cannot happen ???

Anyone else had this "underfilled large bottle" problem ??

Oh and I dont have a pump, I use the "freezing" method....

I wish pumps were not the ridiculous sort of cost that they are.....and also why does nobody do an electric pump as I dont want to buy a compressor as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:59 am 
Wizard

the 1st thing i did when it arrived was to weigh it, 105kg spot on for the tare weight with 37.5kg of nos inside

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:44 am 

mrmoo wrote:
the 1st thing i did when it arrived was to weigh it, 105kg spot on for the tare weight with 37.5kg of nos inside

It will be interesting to see how much you get OUT of that bottle.....

Maybe thats the problem....not whats IN it......its how much we can get OUT of it...lol :)

Write down every fill and let us know at the end when its empty....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:26 pm 
Wizard

Brett928S2 wrote:
I have just started writing down EVERY fill I do....

Last bottle was 14 lbs short :(

NitrousOxideSullpies say it cannot happen ???

Anyone else had this "underfilled large bottle" problem ??

If it's under 5kg short to begin with I consider myself lucky, If I get more than 32kg out of it i'm extremely lucky.
Every gas dealer under the sun, in this reality and the next will say underfilling / overfilling can't happen,
BULLSHIT !!!!!
Start sealing the valve outlet with pressure caps rather than dust caps and I promise I'll start to believe you.................

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:09 am 
Learner

With any bottle you will have an amount of the liquid to to gas as the bottle empties, with a 50l bottle, there is more room for more of the liquid to turn to gas and gas is always harder to pump out. 10-20lbs will be normal. That's the explanation NOSupplies gave me once when I quizzed why I wasn't getting much from a full bottle.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:18 pm 

Streetcar Nitrous wrote:
With any bottle you will have an amount of the liquid to to gas as the bottle empties, with a 50l bottle, there is more room for more of the liquid to turn to gas and gas is always harder to pump out. 10-20lbs will be normal. That's the explanation NOSupplies gave me once when I quizzed why I wasn't getting much from a full bottle.

Thats a good reason why...

Assuming you have a pump do you think you get more from a big bottle than I do with my freezing method ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:31 pm 
Learner

Marginal I'd say, it is just quicker with a pump and I'm more likely to get a full fill using it.

When the liquid runs out, I can still pump out the gas but that generates heats compressing it back to liquid in the bottle being filled and so takes longer to fill. Usually you can tell when the liquid runs out as the pump suddenly speeds up and it's just quicker to switch bottles than try to carry on with the remaining gas.

Natural wastage is what a customer of mine was told when he went to get a bottle for himself, then got all arsey with me because the gas didn't last long enough :cyclopsani:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next