NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: omg i have a kit! (and a question)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:10 pm 
Wizard

well, after all the stuff thats been going on recently, i popped down to the wizards this morning and bought my self a kit, started fitting this afternoon (had fun doing so i might add), hoping to have it finished and running on wednesday, in plenty of time to prepare for next sunday at york :twisted:

i just have one question at this moment in time, the kit i bought was supplied with a 50 nitrous jet and a 20 fuel jet, seeing as its not exactly 2:1 i thought i better ask if its safe to use this as a starting point? cheers

kyle (ps, pics to come later of the install etc :))

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:17 pm 
Wizard

You must have EFI then Kyle?

I use jets rated at 1:1 for my 5 psi carb setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:20 pm 
Wizard

lol yes mate its EFI. my trusty haynes manual claims the maximum fuel pressure is 4.1bar, and the regulated pressure is 3 bar +/- 0.2 bar. was just asking to make sure that its not going to be too lean, although if remember rightly a perfect 2:1 ratio is normally a slightly rich mixture anyway is it now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:31 pm 
Wizard

Better to keep it a bit rich for test and tune Kyle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:33 pm 
Wizard

i know that, thats why i wanna no if 50:20 is safe or not ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:34 pm 
Wizard

Good on ya M8 , Hope you get to feel the Won effect soon

but before you run take a pic of install and send to Trev :-) and after static and before road test just give Ant a quick call tell him results

LOL so far iv reinstalled my kit 3 times and i think im kind of getting there :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:42 pm 
Wizard

lol, i dont think there will be any issues with my install as i had a chat with one of the lads at won this morning (dave i think) and asked him a few questions, pulsoid location etc but il post the pics up anyway cos mistakes can be made.

the only bit of my system i thought was a bit odd is i have mounted one pulsoid slightly higher than the other, but i figure that this wont matter, :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to have you on the team Superspy. ;)

Without a heater at this time of year, even 50:20 is likely to be too rich, so you'll be fine.

Tezz is right about posting pics as it's impossible to cover everything even in a lengthy chat.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:27 pm 
Wizard

fair enough, il make sure i get them up on the board, probably on wednesday afternoon, i really hope i can get sorted and running 50bhp jets for next sunday, i can feel the grin forming already and nothings even wired up yet.

just thought of another one, the bottle i have is a 5lb one, and i want the kit running perfectly for the strip next week and im a little worried about the bottle pressure due to temperature, am i going to be better off coming down and getting the bottle filled beforehand as a heater is out of the question at the minute, cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

Yes - it would also help to warm the bottle up a little before using it.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:12 pm 
Wizard

keeping it in the house overnight perhaps?

ee im getting giddy thinking about it - i have a friend thats itching to get his ass handed to him ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:30 pm 
Wizard

I keep my bike with bottles on in house usally full and my big 11lb bottle , and unless i shut all door and have me heating on full blast they usally hover around just under 900 psi to just under 1000 psi , But with the SPRV :-) no chance of them gettiing to high , and its very cool to see them work

Did you get a bottle gauge i find this handy to know pressuer and i try and do test and rejets as close to 950 psi as i can , my gague is on outlet side as i run twin bottles , but i belive there an adaptor now to put them on SPRV side or a dash mount

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:48 am 
Wizard

Bottle heater seams to be def the way to go , but i have also seen bottle jackets on ebay just like a quilt for a nitrous bottle no idea if they help a bit

But if it helps when my bikes out side over nite pressuer really drops of and takes a good while to build back up , yet as is usally the norm bikes inside when i go out for a play pressuer is normally acceptable and as air temp has risen out side stays around a usable pressuer

One thing i would say tho if you going to remove ya bottle a lot for refilling or to store in side would leave a bit of slack on your delivery (black pipe) so that from time to time you can trim down and replace olive

Mind you could always fit ya 5lb bottle high up in passenger foot well under ya heater :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:26 am 
Site Admin

xxdrac wrote:
Mind you could always fit ya 5lb bottle high up in passenger foot well under ya heater :-)

That's a good suggestion but I'd strongly advise the use of a gauge whenever heat is applied to a bottle. :idea:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:55 pm 
Wizard

indeed, but until i can afford the guage and the heater, il keep it in the house on saturday night before i go to the strip, and make sure i get it filled on the saturday. are there any problems with re-filling an already part filled bottle?

thought of another question as well, reading the bible again this morning and in the section about system wiring, there is a diagram of a single hit wet system, but it is using a relay to power the pulsoids. i thought u didnt need to use relays with the won stuff? (plus the fact that i didnt get a relay in the box) so i figured i didnt need one and that was just a general diagram for other kits. do i need one or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

superspy wrote:
indeed, but until i can afford the guage and the heater, il keep it in the house on saturday night before i go to the strip, and make sure i get it filled on the saturday. are there any problems with re-filling an already part filled bottle?
That's fine and there's no problem for us to top up a part filled bottle.

thought of another question as well, reading the bible again this morning and in the section about system wiring, there is a diagram of a single hit wet system, but it is using a relay to power the pulsoids. i thought u didnt need to use relays with the won stuff? (plus the fact that i didnt get a relay in the box) so i figured i didnt need one and that was just a general diagram for other kits. do i need one or not?
Our systems don't need a relay (which is why one isn't supplied with the system), what page is the diagram you mention in my book?

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:04 pm 
Wizard

Not sure but i think hes on about when you are unsure of load for you power supply and then you add a really from battery ect , like i did on my bike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:21 pm 
Wizard

thats what i thought, but just wanted to double check, and trev im not sure what page, i'll find out 2moro for you :)

now, onto the real news! progress this evening moved a hell of a lot quicker than i had hoped for, and the kit is actually IN, as in ...working!!! :D

cant provide pictures at the minute, as we only finished about an hour ago, came across a couple of little issues along the way, but nothing that wasn't easily rectified :D will hopefully get some pictures up tomorrow.

anyways, went out to the middle of nowhere to do the static test (due to not wanting to piss the neighbours off) and i can honestly say this: as most of you will no doubt have experienced, that first activation for the static test absolutely scared the shit out of me, i was that nervous i actually forgot to activate the system, so when my dad flicked the microswitch nothing happened, and we were both stood round like muppets wondering why lol.

anyway, second time lucky with the system actually activated, the redline on the car is actually about 6750, but i held the revs at 2k and activated, the revs climed to approx 4.5k (or just above) so obviously, as you predicted trev, its still running a bit rich ;), so looks like i need to get in touch with ant or dave about a new jet to lean it out a bit, is this right?

obviously once the mixture is right, get the road test sorted, and then get some new jets and bang it up to 50hp ;)

really cant say how happy i am at the minute and have been extremely impressed with the quality of the kit so far, cheers trev ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:30 pm 
Wizard

Good news M8 :) :)

LOL i know what you mean about 1st time hitting the button , but nothing compared to my 1st road test at 75bhp :-) and wait till you get it on startline :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Have fun glad to hear its all going well

Tezz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:37 pm 
Wizard

yeah, i wont be running 75bhp for along long time unfortunately, as obviously im going to need the progressive controller, and some way of altering the timing, which iirc on my ecu cannot be done :(. but im looking forward to the 50bhp hit, as i can see jumping from 130 to 180 being rather fun ;) lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

superspy wrote:
thats what i thought, but just wanted to double check, and trev im not sure what page, i'll find out 2moro for you :)
Fine

now, onto the real news! progress this evening moved a hell of a lot quicker than i had hoped for, and the kit is actually IN, as in ...working!!! :D
Good work.

anyways, went out to the middle of nowhere to do the static test (due to not wanting to piss the neighbours off) and i can honestly say this: as most of you will no doubt have experienced, that first activation for the static test absolutely scared the shit out of me, i was that nervous i actually forgot to activate the system, so when my dad flicked the microswitch nothing happened, and we were both stood round like muppets wondering why lol.
Easily done. lol

anyway, second time lucky with the system actually activated, the redline on the car is actually about 6750, but i held the revs at 2k and activated, the revs climed to approx 4.5k (or just above) so obviously, as you predicted trev, its still running a bit rich ;), so looks like i need to get in touch with ant or dave about a new jet to lean it out a bit, is this right?
If you intend to warm the bottle then leave the jets as they are, otherwise if you intend to run at ambient temp. then yes you want a smaller fuel jet to start with, before ramping both up.

really cant say how happy i am at the minute and have been extremely impressed with the quality of the kit so far, cheers trev ;)
My pleasure and it's always gratifying when customers express how pleased they are with my products.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:06 am 
Wizard

ok so then the next question (and probably one thats difficult to answer) is would keeping the bottle inside overnight be enough to warm it up to a decent pressure. :S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:57 am 
Wizard

Take a look here Kyle, almost at the bottom of the page is a pressure/temperature range chart, should help you get an idea..

http://www.noswizard.com/technical.php? ... 71ecaaef28

It drives the fact home that you really need a guage as the simple act of using gas makes the pressure drop also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:19 am 
Wizard

yeah i know, but i bought the kit on a budget in the first place, which is why it is a part used one, not a new one, il av to see if i can afford a guage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 am 
Site Admin

You can get away without using a gauge (although not quite as accurate) by using a thermometer.
If the bottle is left in the house long enough at the same temp, then the contents should end up at the pressure associated with that temperature. :idea:

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)