NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: i have a problem
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:56 pm 
Wizard

after i left this won this afternoon after having my 50bhp jets fitted and having a chat with trev, i only used the system once on the way home for a few seconds. havent driven the car for the rest of the afternoon, and the nitrous pulsoid isnt firing. theres plenty of pressure in the system and the jet isn't blocked. help me somebody, lol :cry:

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:04 pm 
Wizard

is the fuel one working ?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:46 pm 
Wizard

yes, its only the nitrous one that isnt, and i know its not the wiring as they are both wired up together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:59 pm 
Wizard

Best not to assume anything Kyle. You could follow the test procedures in the book p.92. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:07 pm 
Wizard

well i was going to suggest checking micro switch ect if ones working and not other guess that working , have you disconnected connection at solinods and checked voltage there ect

Other than that no idea sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:16 pm 
Wizard

i havent, as its dark, lol. but im pretty sure its not a voltage issue, as the kit has been working absolutely fine for 2 and a half days, the pulsoids are both connected together and the fuel one is firing. il go grab the book now and have a nosey, failing that i'll av to pop in and see dave on my dinner 2moro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:06 am 
Site Admin

It's VERY unlikely that the Pulsoid is faulty, so my bet is lack of current.

It takes much less current to activate the fuel Pulsoid than it does to fire the nitrous.

Where have you taken the 12 Volt supply from?

Get yourself a piece of the largest section wire you can find and connect one end to the battery positive and then dab the other end to the Pulsoids.

If the nitrous Pulsoid opens ok then it's certainly lack of current and you need to either improve the supply by using larger section wire via a relay or you may just find it's a poor connection.

If you don't solve the problem yourself quickly and easily, just call down and we'll have it fixed in minutes. ;)

Regards

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:56 am 
Wizard

thanks for that trev, funnily enough i phoned Ant about 4 minutes after you posted that message and he said exactly the same thing, and seeing as there are no customers in at the minute i thought i would go try it, and consequently fired a 6 foot plume of nitrous straight over my colleagues bike. :D so its definitely lack of current.

the feed is directly off the fuse box, im going to check it over later and possibly use another feed. bit wierd how its been working for 3 days initially though, ah well, i'll do some investigating this afternoon. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:03 am 
Wizard

Feking electrics :-(

PS question time :-)

form this post am i correct in thinking the fuel pulsiod has a oki i dont know low power coil , nitrous upto 150bhp med power and the 250 bhp one a higher powered coil

Sorry Im sooooooo bad with electrics :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:05 am 
Wizard

Damn, I was going to suggest lack of current too but I'm still in the infant stages of learning!

Tezz, fuel is under pretty low pressure compared to nitrous. It takes far more energy to lift the solenoid plunger which has to overcome nitrous pressure than it does against fuel pressure. If the total current going to both solenoids is inefficient to operate both, it can still be enough to open the fuel solenoid which could lead someone to make assumptions. Maybe the high power gas solenoid requires an uprated coil but I doubt it. It still has to lift against bottle pressure, regardless of jet size so my guess is it's the plunger/seat components that need uprating - or am I wrong?

Kyle, glad you found the fault and Trev is so "in-tune" (excuse the pun) with his products, he gets straight to the heart of the matter. When I accidentally reversed the inlet to outlet, he identified the fault immediately. A bit like my experience as computer engineer - it's usually the component between the desk and the chair ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:58 am 
Site Admin

xxdrac wrote:
Feking electrics :-(

PS question time :-)

form this post am i correct in thinking the fuel pulsiod has a oki i dont know low power coil , nitrous upto 150bhp med power and the 250 bhp one a higher powered coil

Sorry Im sooooooo bad with electrics :-(

Correct

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:59 am 
Site Admin

MikeT wrote:
Damn, I was going to suggest lack of current too but I'm still in the infant stages of learning!

Tezz, fuel is under pretty low pressure compared to nitrous. It takes far more energy to lift the solenoid plunger which has to overcome nitrous pressure than it does against fuel pressure. If the total current going to both solenoids is inefficient to operate both, it can still be enough to open the fuel solenoid which could lead someone to make assumptions. Maybe the high power gas solenoid requires an uprated coil but I doubt it. It still has to lift against bottle pressure, regardless of jet size so my guess is it's the plunger/seat components that need uprating - or am I wrong?

Kyle, glad you found the fault and Trev is so "in-tune" (excuse the pun) with his products, he gets straight to the heart of the matter. When I accidentally reversed the inlet to outlet, he identified the fault immediately. A bit like my experience as computer engineer - it's usually the component between the desk and the chair ;)

:) Correct on all counts. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

superspy wrote:
thanks for that trev, funnily enough i phoned Ant about 4 minutes after you posted that message and he said exactly the same thing, and seeing as there are no customers in at the minute i thought i would go try it, and consequently fired a 6 foot plume of nitrous straight over my colleagues bike. :D so its definitely lack of current.

the feed is directly off the fuse box, im going to check it over later and possibly use another feed. bit wierd how its been working for 3 days initially though, ah well, i'll do some investigating this afternoon. :D

Good for customer confidence getting the solutions first time, especially when you get 2 independent opinions that are the same from the same company. :D

It's like everything that ever fails, it fine right up to the point it fails and in most cases nobody can explain exactly why the failure happened just when it did.
My guess is a corroded connection causing a drop in current and the more current it has to carry and more frequently it carries it, the quicker it corrodes even more and then the current flow eventually drops below the essential level required - this could just be between the fuse and housing. :idea:

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:16 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:

:read2: Thank you! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

MikeT wrote:
Noswizard wrote:

:read2: Thank you! 8)

Oooops - I missed one point you made that wasn't quite right when speed reading through your post. :redface:

It's not that the high pressure nitrous Pulsoid 'needs' any improvement, it's just as you pointed out they are working at different pressures.
However you could make a high pressure solenoid work under similar electrical conditions to a low pressure solenoid as you suggested by altering the plunger and/or seat but you'd either end up with minimal flow or a MASSIVE solenoid. Nitrous solenoids are always a compromise due to balancing flow, with physical size whilst keeping current draw to a minimum - well a good designed solenoid is!!!!! :twisted:

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:32 pm 
Wizard

Ah, well I didn't expect to get it so right first off. What is the difference between the standard solenoid and the 250hp+ ones?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:06 pm 
Wizard

Good post :) some good bits of information in there for me to harvest 8)

was thinking on plugers , flow , pressuer ect other day

And im impressed how many people almost all at same time dismissed almost instantly that it was a fault with a WON part 8) 8)

Respect

Tezz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:19 pm 
Wizard

ok, let me tell you how rediculous my day has been for nitrous.

so to start, the electrics are being gay, i disconnect the fuel pulsoid, run the nitrous pulsoid straight from the battery and it works, i then reconnect the fuel pulsoid and everything is fine, WTF.

then, once working again, the nitrous pulsoid will not seal properly, so i close the bottle, let the pressure drain, get home to test it again, and its now sealing itself properly again.

so i go out for a road test, the car coughs and splutters its way up the rev range so i shut the system off and do some futhur investigating. from what i can tell, the reason is that liquid nitrous is not reaching the pulsoid, its all gas. when i fire the system manually i cannot see the plume at all, its completely invisible, but i could see if before, and when i take the bottle off and open the valve, i can clearly see it.

where do i go from here guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:27 pm 
Wizard

I check see if bottles full weight it ???? depends how much you been using it , you be suppriesd just how much gas you can get thro testing esp when testing flow of pipes disconnected , start from bottle test ya have white plume at bottle out let , then at join just befor solioned then at jet ect to check flow

also have a look at ya fittings make sure you have not over done tightening them sould see about a 3mm hole inside vavle at pipe ends ect , check flow almost looks same at bottle when disconnected and at pipe end just befor solionid

not sure but some parts have a plastic disc inside fittings ect very east to squash these , but ive not fitted a car kit so im unsure it theres any of these in your fittings

be carefull nitrous burns

Last edited by Tezz on Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:29 pm 
Wizard

Nitrous pulsoid not sealing properly i have a few ideas but not 100% so ill let trev suggest checks for that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:32 pm 
Wizard

and yes even when my bottles very very nearly empty if i open vavle i can see white plume but i have no pressuer to deliver right amount of liquied to my inlets

on 2.5 lbs of gas on my bike at 75bhp i get to between 20-30 secs usage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:55 pm 
Wizard

well the usage was nowhere near that as i only used it for about 5 seconds yesterday, and then problem solving this morning didnt take much. and all the connections are fine, HOWEVER, i just removed the nitrous jet and its blocked with dirt =/
cleared it and it has help a little bit, but i bet the inside of the pulsoid is even worse, and thats why im not getting a plume from it (when i was this morning), why do i get a funny feeling that there is no filter in my pulsoid.

either way, its dark now and my sausage, mash, mushy peas, yorkshire puds and gravy is ready, so it will have to wait till 2moro :D

il pop the pulsoid in to ant and let him take a look. grrr this is annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:03 pm 
Wizard

theres a filter inside the nitrous pulsiod good bet thats blocked , but i would have thought it would have stoped dirt getting to jet ???? if its inplace

LOL i will resist the temptation to call the most advanced filter material white fluffy cloud like cotten wool :D :D as Trev will Kill me :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:12 pm 
Wizard

like i said, this experience has given me a funny feeling that it isn't in there, lol. meaning the pulsoid will have to be cleaned out i would have thought, like i said, il pop it into ant 2moro. i just hope i can get all this sorted out in time for sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:23 pm 
Wizard

Hmm, the good book does say to give the system a blast to atmosphere to clear out any possible debris before final fitting - where the hell has the dirt come from???

And Tezz is right, there should be a white cotton gauze type filter in the solenoid to keep the internals clean, otherwise it will not seal properly. Again, where the hell has that gone???