NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: nitrox
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:58 am 
Learner

what about this as a replacement for nitrous oxide? it looks to have almos the same percentages as n2o but its cheaper and sulphur free...

i would think that the nitrox would more resemble "air" and perform more like a turbo set up. Coupled with SSI i dont see why it WOULDNT burn???

from what i can read on wiki and other sites, its just a mix of n2 o2 with no bond (like air) at various % of oxygen above 21% .. if nothing else, you could use it to help raise the % of free nitro gen in the mix, cutting down on cylinder and pressure, and if your still using nitrous as your main source then you dont lose your cooling effect...

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: nitrox
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:17 am 
Learner

http://www.hydrodynamics-usa.com/nitrox/hotboat.html

...ok hes not really using nitrox i think, but its interesting they are using methonal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:28 am 
Site Admin

It's no good on its own, as it's a gas and not a liquid and I'm well on my way to overcoming ALL the problems (or at least raising their currently low limits), without the need for a 2nd gas bottle, so we'll have even more improved results as we progress. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:26 pm 
Learner

xclr82xtc wrote:

...ok hes not really using nitrox i think, but its interesting they are using methonal.

Methanol is excellent as an additional fuel, I mix 20% into the fuel tank to run in my GTO-TT and the difference is amazing, can run far more boost and more aggressive ignition timing with no knock logged.

Just remember you need to inject 2.5x more methanol if swapping over from straight petrol.

If you do run methanol in the fuel pulseoid you will have to flush it out before standing the car up or it will affect the seals.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:30 pm 
Wizard

keithmac wrote:
xclr82xtc wrote:

Methanol is excellent as an additional fuel, I mix 20% into the fuel tank to run in my GTO-TT and the difference is amazing, can run far more boost and more aggressive ignition timing with no knock logged.

Just remember you need to inject 2.5x more methanol if swapping over from straight petrol.

If you do run methanol in the fuel pulseoid you will have to flush it out before standing the car up or it will affect the seals.

Sounds interesting Keith!!
I can get methanol local and quite cheap. Apart from having to flush the system out are there any downsides to running the fuel meth mix on track? I run 12 psi of boost + a 100 shot on mine with 15 degree's of timing taken out.
Does the meth add a significant amount at 20% if you keep the timing the same as when not using it ??
Or is the benefit from using the mix gained from adding more boost / nitrous without retarding the timing?
Do you have a rule of thumb for timing vs boost etc on your motor as opposed to when you did not run the mix ??

I'm always looking for interesting upgrades for my engine. 280ci Rover / Buick V8 in a 2600 lb car running low 10's.

Regards
Perry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:58 pm 
Learner

I run a 20% Methanol mix in tank, had to add 15% more flow at the injector to compensate (to a straight petrol tune).

Boost wise before I had to pull significant timing above 12psi manifold pressure (8 degrees or more) to stave off knock, now I can run 20psi+ on the stock timing maps, night and day difference!.

I use teflon lines and leave the fuel in all the time, been running it for a couple of years now.

I`d start off with 20% mix and +15% fuel adjustments, check it`s running well then slowly increase timing.

Was going to try a 30% mix but don`t feel the need yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:38 pm 
Wizard

I guess my EFI rubber fuel hose will suffer then?

I can change to teflon though. I guess it will be -10 braided to replace my old 1/2" fuel supply ?

What about final connection to the carb? Swap the hose barb for a banjo fitting of some sort which will accept the braid?

I have 2 feeds from the fuel cell.
One is 8mm for the carb and ther other is 12.7 mm (1/2") for the nitrous fuel supply both fed with separate pumps. Holley blue for each system via regulators.

Will the rubber degrade quickly ??

Perry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Methanol is good stuff BUT be VERY CAREFUL with;

1) Avoid contact with the skin
2) Avoid inhaling the exhaust fumes

Because in ANY form it is an ACCUMULATIVE POISON, which for anyone who isn't familiar with the term, it means that once it's in your system, it's there for life and builds up with subsequent exposure.

The consequences of the poison are;

1) Impotence (NOT 'importance' LOL)
2) Hair loss
3) Blindness
4) And others

A better option is ETHANOL or E85

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:04 pm 
Learner

so a boring version of LSD then lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:05 am 
Learner

ive always been under the impression the alcohol and nitrous were a bad combination ?? ... or is that just with 100% alcohol fuel.. my new fuel system will handle the alcohol in a mix just fine i think..

nother question..when you have to add that much more "stuff" to the cylinder, wouldnt you want to increase your squish to give it all room. sure at the cost of compression but if you can pack more space full of fuel, and make it easier on the engine, then ultimately you should me more power.. .right?

anyways.. back to the alcohol mix.. im just thinking of ways to help limit cylinder pressures and temps. alcohol would be a good way for temps, but cylinder pressures are still an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:44 am 
Site Admin

xclr82xtc wrote:
ive always been under the impression the alcohol and nitrous were a bad combination ??
You can't have been reading enough of my forum JC, as I've covered methanol a number of time.
It's GREAT for nitrous, so I don't know where you got the idea it wasn't but where ever it was, they had NO IDEA what they were talking about - WHAT A SURPRISE!!!! LOL

... or is that just with 100% alcohol fuel.. my new fuel system will handle the alcohol in a mix just fine i think..
The more the better but as I stated, ETHANOL or E85 is BETTER.

nother question..when you have to add that much more "stuff" to the cylinder, wouldnt you want to increase your squish to give it all room. sure at the cost of compression but if you can pack more space full of fuel, and make it easier on the engine, then ultimately you should me more power.. .right?
NOPE!!!! To get THE BEST from alky you NEED VERY HIGH compression, otherwise you're wasting most of its potential. Furthermore, it's NOT how much you squash the air/fuel charge that loads up the motor, it's the heat and combustion forces AFTER compression that do that and with alky, the heat content is FAR LOWER than gasoline, so even at very high comps (20:1 for example), the heat element is still likely to be MUCH LESS than on gasoline at 9:1.
The best way to get more in to the chamber is to use our Nitrous Discharge Tubes.
;)

anyways.. back to the alcohol mix.. im just thinking of ways to help limit cylinder pressures and temps. alcohol would be a good way for temps, but cylinder pressures are still an issue.
As temperature is a key factor in generating cylinder pressures, I would expect them to be lower using alky than gasoline. I've not investigated the pressure issue at all but just using my UNcommon sense, it follows that less heat means less expansion and therefore less thermally generated loads. Obviously to make more power the engine will be under more load as a direct consequence, UNLESS timing can be used to delay and then prolong the burn (or some other factor achieve the same result), as is the case with nitrous when done correctly, which as methanol is also slow burning (another advantage when used with nitrous to slow down the accelerated burn process), is likely to be possible.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:55 am 
Learner

i guess i havent been reading enough LOL..

for squish i was refering to having a large squish, but still maintaining a high compression ratio.. (which is possible, the bigger the engine the easier it is ) my thinking is you dont want it to run like a top fuel that hydrolocks the cylinder every single stroke. more squish would mean less mechanical stress, and ultimately allow you to have more material in the chamber, and dynamic compression can still by high if you VE on your heads is above 100% in any form. also, i would think the extra space would give the nitrous more room to expand a little more rapidly creating a better mixture inside..

of course this could all be way off...just theories im throwing around.. lol ill put it like this, ive figured out on my new engine im building how to maintain a factory squish, but increase the compression almost 3 points.. with my head flowing at 107% VE that should put me somewhere around 16.5 : 1 compression at peak tourque.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:21 pm 
Learner

I ran mine with 20% mix on stock lines for a long while, but went over to teflon for peace of mind.

E85 is better as a complete fuel, but for me the quantities involved made Methanol more appealing for me (E85 requires 30%/33% extra fuel delivery, M20 requires 15% extra and gives
virtually the same results).

M20 mix is no where near as aggressive, corrosive to fuel systems in comparison with straight Methanol.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:21 am 
Site Admin

xclr82xtc wrote:
for squish i was refering to having a large squish,
Squish is where det happens on a nitrous motor, so I'd always avoid squish whenever possible.

but still maintaining a high compression ratio.. (which is possible, the bigger the engine the easier it is )
At some point (as you increase the nitrous delivery) it's the compression you need to drop, to allow more room for the nitrous charge and reduce the risk of det.

my thinking is you dont want it to run like a top fuel that hydrolocks the cylinder every single stroke.
Agreed.

more squish would mean less mechanical stress,
There must be some translation issue here, because MORE squish is likely to result in MORE mechanical stress, as the charge is at a higher pressure between the squish surfaces.

and ultimately allow you to have more material in the chamber,
Why do you want more material in the chamber?

and dynamic compression can still by high if you VE on your heads is above 100% in any form.
You'll have to explain that one as I don't follow that at all!!!

also, i would think the extra space would give the nitrous more room to expand a little more rapidly creating a better mixture inside..
Now this is correct but the REVERSE of what you've said so far, which again seems to indicate we're having some kind of translation issue here. :beatstick:

of course this could all be way off...just theories im throwing around.. lol ill put it like this, ive figured out on my new engine im building how to maintain a factory squish, but increase the compression almost 3 points.. with my head flowing at 107% VE that should put me somewhere around 16.5 : 1 compression at peak tourque.
Unless you're running some fancy high octane fuel (which you probably will), I wouldn't run at that compression.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:14 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
xclr82xtc wrote:
for squish i was refering to having a large squish,
Squish is where det happens on a nitrous motor, so I'd always avoid squish whenever possible.
i should of clarified, lets just not say "squish" and say compressed chamber volume. the basics of what im wondering here, is at what point do you need to give yourself, more "room" inside the cylinder to physically fit more nitrous. realizing the higher pressure would keep it in liquid form, but isnt some degree of phase change inside the cylinder beneficial? and you need "space" for that phase change to occur so how do you balance that. ...just out of curiosity, is there some point at which the pressure can become so great that the nitrous has trouble splitting the molecules apart? again im talking about large levels of nitrous.

but still maintaining a high compression ratio.. (which is possible, the bigger the engine the easier it is )
At some point (as you increase the nitrous delivery) it's the compression you need to drop, to allow more room for the nitrous charge and reduce the risk of det.

yes, thats the basis of what my underlying theory is, but not the entire reason. for it. unfortunately, i don't know anyway to LOWER compression ratio, besides designing a cylinder head that has a terrible VE% at high RPM, using some sort of switchable "restrictor plate" to limit air coming in the engine, or using enough nitrous to stall the air flow. unfortunately, if you do any of those, you also limit the amount of nitrous charge you can get in the cylinder as VE is what pushes the charge in after the piston starts to rise from BDC and scavenging stops. (of course, this is all moot with SSIS)

my thinking is you dont want it to run like a top fuel that hydrolocks the cylinder every single stroke.

Agreed.

more squish would mean less mechanical stress,
There must be some translation issue here, because MORE squish is likely to result in MORE mechanical stress, as the charge is at a higher pressure between the squish surfaces.

again, i said this wrong.. more squish "measurement wise" as in .030" of squish instead of .018". more compressed volume. i've found a way to help maintain the static compression ratio, while giving the engine more chamber volume, without increasing bore or crankshaft stroke. nothing really new or exciting, just an understanding of what small changes inside the engine will do to output.

and ultimately allow you to have more material in the chamber,
Why do you want more material in the chamber?
more "burnable material" nitrous and fuel.. everyone wants that. (again, should of been more specific)
and dynamic compression can still by high if you VE on your heads is above 100% in any form.
You'll have to explain that one as I don't follow that at all!!!
im sure you know the difference between dynamic and static compression ratios. If you building a 10:1 engine, but the VE (volumetric efficiency) of the head is above 100%, as it is on most sportbikes and high end race engines, the your effective compression while runing the engine would not be 10:1, but 11 or 12:1. and of course, the greater the compression you start with, the more noticable the increase becomes. turbos have huge dynamic compression ratios..

also, i would think the extra space would give the nitrous more room to expand a little more rapidly creating a better mixture inside..
Now this is correct but the REVERSE of what you've said so far, which again seems to indicate we're having some kind of translation issue here. :beatstick:

i think it wil make sense now :loser:

Unless you're running some fancy high octane fuel (which you probably will), I wouldn't run at that compression.

you should know what fuels been on my mine lately :D its gonna happen..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

xclr82xtc wrote:
i should of clarified, lets just not say "squish" and say compressed chamber volume.
Now that's a WHOLE DIFFERENT matter as "squish" is the area where SOME sections of the piston get very close to SOME parts of the cylinder head.
We may now be able to make progress.
;)

the basics of what im wondering here, is at what point do you need to give yourself, more "room" inside the cylinder to physically fit more nitrous.
I'm not aware of ANY way of predicting when that would be but there CERTAINLY WILL BE a point when that is NEEDED.

realizing the higher pressure would keep it in liquid form, but isnt some degree of phase change inside the cylinder beneficial?
You're WAY OFF there JC, as there is NO chance of the nitrous being in LIQUID form by the time it reaches the combustion chamber and even if it did, as temp rises with compression, it would MOST CERTAINLY phase change to GAS.
BTW the ONLY chance we'll have of getting LIQUID in to the chamber is with our Timed Direct Injection, which is why that's next but one on the R&D agenda.
:yes: :yes:

and you need "space" for that phase change to occur so how do you balance that.
Again way off JC, the only thing you want the extra "space" (volume) for is to get MORE intake charge in and to avoid over compressing it to cause either detonation and/or auto dissociation of the nitrous. The nitrous will have fully phase changed, long before maximum compression is achieved.

...just out of curiosity, is there some point at which the pressure can become so great that the nitrous has trouble splitting the molecules apart?
CERTAINLY NOT, the reverse is the case (again you need to read more of my forum, as this has all been well covered), because as stated above, heat rises (substantially) with compression and nitrous AUTO dissociates at a certain heat & pressure, which 'I' BELIEVE happens sooner (and at lower pressures/heat combinations) in an engine, than most people have even the slightest idea of.

again im talking about large levels of nitrous.
The more nitrous added, the higher the pressures and temps reach sooner in the compression cycle and as stated in the relavent thread I mentioned above, this causes the nitrous to AUTO DISSOCIATE BEFORE IGNITION and that's another of those LIMITING FACTORS, that I was referring to when I suggested you changed your statement to read 2 'MAIN' limitations. ;)

i don't know anyway to LOWER compression ratio, besides designing a cylinder head that has a terrible VE% at high RPM, using some sort of switchable "restrictor plate" to limit air coming in the engine, or using enough nitrous to stall the air flow.
You have me LOST AGAIN on ALL the above!!!! There are a number of ways to reduce the compression without changing the design of the cylinder head.

unfortunately, if you do any of those, you also limit the amount of nitrous charge you can get in the cylinder as VE is what pushes the charge in after the piston starts to rise from BDC and scavenging stops. (of course, this is all moot with SSIS)
Yes it's moot with SSIS but it's not even applicable without SSIS, because it's the pressure/force that the nitrous leaves the nozzle/injector at, that causes the cylinders to fill.

again, i said this wrong.. more squish "measurement wise" as in .030" of squish instead of .018". more compressed volume.
OK that all makes sense now.

i've found a way to help maintain the static compression ratio, while giving the engine more chamber volume, without increasing bore or crankshaft stroke. nothing really new or exciting, just an understanding of what small changes inside the engine will do to output.
What you need to keep in mind, is that as you add nitrous you effectively RAISE the compression ratio.
You can recover lost power from lowered compression NA just by adding nitrous, for example;
1) An engine would make say 300 HP NA on say 12:1 compression
2) We drop the compression to 10:1 and the power falls to say 250 HP
3) If you added 100 HP to the engine at 12:1 you may see a 75 HP gain
4) When adding 100 HP to the engine at 10:1 you may see 125 HP gain

Keep in mind these are just random figures but the principle applise to some degree on all motors at some power levels, due to the rise in compression due to the increase in intake volume when adding nitrous.

more "burnable material" nitrous and fuel.. everyone wants that. (again, should of been more specific)
As I suspected, it's all been a TRANSLATION ISSUE :omgrofl:
Fully agreed now we're using the same language. :omgrofl:

im sure you know the difference between dynamic and static compression ratios.
Most certainly!!!

If you building a 10:1 engine, but the VE (volumetric efficiency) of the head is above 100%, as it is on most sportbikes and high end race engines, the your effective compression while runing the engine would not be 10:1, but 11 or 12:1. and of course, the greater the compression you start with, the more noticable the increase becomes. turbos have huge dynamic compression ratios.
OK with that.

i think it wil make sense now :loser:
It certainly does although there's still some issues to sort. ;)

you should know what fuels been on my mine lately :D its gonna happen..
In that case 16.5 to one is fine.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:55 pm 
Learner

i have to believe that at least "some" liquid nitrous makes it into the cylinder. mainly at VERY HIGH levels of nitrous with extremely dense charges. but thats beside the point, after you get past the 2nd paragraphs you will see why i think that.. even if im wrong :D

I remember we were talking about the need to advance timing once you reach a certain point. I thought about it and thought about it and the only conclusion i can gather for that happening, is that you are trying to put heat BACK into the chamber to help the split. surely its not because of a nitrogen buffer to flame speed so what another viable reason? my conclusion was that if its cold enough your having to put heat back, coupled with the rising cylinder pressure as the piston approaches tdc, then isnt it feasible that a % of the nitrous molecules could be suspended in a liquid or motionless state? (ie you "froze" the reaction with high pressure and low temperature) only to be burned and useful once the temperature has risen and pressure has fallen to a level acceptable for the reaction to start again? and lets assume you are correct and the 0% of the nitrous is liquid inside the chamber, this "freezing the reaction" theory could still hold true for the gaseous nitrous could it not?

i agree that as you increase compression you increase heat.. and if my understanding is correct, this is because your compressing moving molecules and the movement between them creates greater and greater heat.. but what happens when you compress the molecules enough they stop moving? or at least slow enough to create a substantial reduction in heat output. and if you compressed them to this point, fast enough, perhaps you "trapped" some of the N2O before it had a chance separate. remember that not only do you have the piston causing an increase in pressure, but the un-bonded N2O molecules MUST occupy more space once split. (because they are in gas form now, and not liquid, then there is still just a little room for compression preventing hydro-lock of the cylinder. also the outside edges of the charge shouldn't be as dense as the center, due to the high speed of the engine "out running" the pressure equlization though out the cylinder, again preventing hydrolock. ) The molecules to stop moving first would be in the center of the charge, as the center of the charge would receive the highest pressure first. (as pressure is evenly distributed from the outside, the center MUST reach maximum pressure before the rest of the charge... progressively of course) this pressure would slow the phase change of any liquid remaining in the center of the charge even if it didn't completely eliminate it. therefore "saving the cooling affect" for later in the combustion cycle. (hence my original comment there there had to be just a slight amount of liquid left) so ultimately the center of the charge is the coldest, (thanks to the slowed phase change) and the least "active" ( thanks to the pressure) spot in the nitrous charge. and thats where i get my "trapping the reaction" theory. it also occurs to me that any in cylider testing probes would only record the outer edges of the charge and not the center so any data from them, while useful, is not a direct picture of what is occuring.

It also just so happens that the epicenter of this would happen right under the spark plug. ( i dont suggest this phenomenon would occur throughout the whole cylinder) This would explain the need for spark advance. i would also be interested to know if the tuners at these levels of nitrous are having to add what seems like "extra" fuel for the amount of nitrous they are using, as this would fit directly into my theory.

anyways, im probably way off, and now you've thrown a new term at me (auto dissa whatever.. ill go back lol) so im gonna rethink it. sometimes its hard for me to relate what im thinkin in my head accurately into words. im just trying to throw things around and maybe find something overlooked that could be critical. but like you said, the reverse of what i have described above is true, so again, im probably off, but that was my logic

my reason for going into this this deep is to answer the question of maximum efficiency. ie, how do you know how to "build your engine" to "match the nitrous" in the most effcient way possible. is nitrous more efficient when the reaction is breifly stopped and made explosive, or when it splits contiuously.. and other questions that all fit the "big picture"

as far as my statement about removing compression ratio, indeed there is many ways to do it, i was refering to an engine that would have an "instant drop" in compression ratio via some mechanical means of volumetric efficiency reduction and not a "built in" static ratio reduction...

for the statement RAISING compression, there is a simple way to do it, that still allows you to increase chamber volume while running the same compression ratio, bore and stoke and piston top surface. (possibly even a reduction in dome size) some engines may be at the limits on power and a decrease in the stoke to lower compression could be detrimental, but at the same time, they might have reached a critical point where the engine cant physically make anymore power, (cant physically fit any more nitrous into the chamber, or they have started running into the "advance the timing" problem) in this case, how do you increase chamber volume and maintiain compression? (thereby increase engine efficiency) well simply enough, you increase the stroke, but what if you already at your class's crank limit or you physically cant put a bigger crank in do to clearance? there is an answer for that. (this is just a discussion point though, not really important until we answer the questions above)

...its funny to me that while others are debating which solenoid is better, we have moved on to conversations such as this that acutally address the physics and chemistry of whats happening. i believe most companies are still under the "it just does" philosophy and dont take into account the minute details that maximixe power potential.

Last edited by xclr82xtc on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

xclr82xtc wrote:
i have to believe that at least "some" liquid nitrous makes it into the cylinder. mainly at VERY HIGH levels of nitrous with extremely dense charges. but thats beside the point...
:lol: First of ALL you have to chew on this;

1) Nitrous is ONLY a liquid when it's NOT even 1% GAS
2) The best way to think about nitrous is as follows; it's ONLY LIQUID while it's INSIDE the bottle
3) As soon as it starts it's journey to the engine it starts to phase change (to some degree) to 100% GAS
4) We BELIEVE (but as yet we can't prove 100%), that WE actually get nitrous LIQUID flow part way through the outlet pipe/s and close to the nozzle/injector
5) However, by the time it exits the nozzle it MOST CERTAINLY IS NOT LIQUID, because at least a few percent (MOST in the case of US kits), is GAS

I remember we were talking about the need to advance timing once you reach a certain point. I thought about it and thought about it and the only conclusion i can gather for that happening, is that you are trying to put heat BACK into the chamber to help the split. surely its not because of nitrogen buffer to flame speed so what another viable reason?
Nope, we just trying to optimise the point of ignition to achieve optimum performance and avoid detonation.

my conclusion was that if its cold enough your having to put heat back,
That comes from the engine components and the heat generated by compression.

coupled with the rising cylinder pressure as the piston approaches tdc, then isnt it feasible that a % of the nitrous molecules could be suspended in a liquid state?
ABSOLUTELY NOT (as explained above) - sorry.

(ie you "froze" the reaction with high pressure and low temperature) only to be burned and useful once the temperature has risen and pressure has fallen to a level acceptable for the reaction to start again? and lets assume you are correct and the 0% of the nitrous is liquid inside the chamber, this "freezing the reaction" theory could still hold true for the gaseous nitrous could it not?
NOPE, NOT A CHANCE!!!

my reason for going into this this deep is to answer the question of maximum efficiency. ie, how do you know how to "build your engine" to "match the nitrous" in the most effcient way possible.
YOU DON'T KNOW because unlike conventional tuning, there are some MAJOR VARIABLES that you can't take in to account (like how much nitrous you add), unless you intend to add a fixed amount and never change it. That's why I always tell anyone who asks me about building a nitrous engine, that IDEALLY they build in some adjustabillity in the compression, along with timing etc.
I would certainly bow down to anyone, who could prove they know how to calculate all aspects of an optimum performing nitrous motor, intended for using a progressive nitrous system at ALL levels of nitrous delivery.

is nitrous more efficient when the reaction is breifly stopped and made explosive, or when it splits contiuously.. and other questions that all fit the "big picture"
Like ALL things nitrous related, it wants to be SMOOTH & PROGRESSIVE with ANY sudden characteristics (especially explosive ones), to be avoided. ;)

anyways, im probably way off, and now you've thrown a new term at me (auto dissa whatever.. ill go back lol) so im gonna rethink it.
Wise move, as I've spent 100s of hours going over this shit!!! ;)

sometimes its hard for me to relate what im thinkin in my head accurately into words. im just trying to throw things around and maybe find something overlooked that could be critical.
Understood.

as far as my statement about removing compression ratio, indeed there is many ways to do it, i was refering to an engine that would have an "instant drop" in compression ratio via some mechanical means of volumetric efficiency reduction and not a "built in" static ratio reduction...
:? :? ????? :? :?

for the statement RAISING compression, there is a simple way to do it, that still allows you to increase chamber volume while running the same compression ratio, bore and stoke and piston top surface. (possibly even a reduction in dome size) some engines may be at the limits on power and a decrease in the stoke to lower compression could be detrimental, but at the same time, they might have reached a critical point where the engine cant physically make anymore power, (cant physically fit any more nitrous into the chamber, or they have started running into the "advance the timing" problem) in this case, how do you increase chamber volume and maintiain compression? (thereby increase engine efficiency) well simply enough, you increase the stroke, but what if you already at your class's crank limit or you physically cant put a bigger crank in do to clearance? there is an answer for that. (this is just a discussion point though, not really important until we answer the questions above)
:? :? ????? :? :?

...its funny to me that while others are debating which solenoid is better, we have moved on to conversations such as this that acutally address the physics and chemistry of whats happening. i believe most companies are still under the "it just does" philosophy and dont take into account the minute details that maximixe power potential.
Couldn't agree more.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:02 pm 
Learner

trevor i added 1 more paragraph (probably while you were typying) to explain better what i think could possible happen. that brain fart is what led to all my original questions. LOL 3rd paragraph

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:32 pm 
Learner

eh screw it.. after some though. i think in theory it could happen but i dont think the pressures or temperature required are avalible in an IC engine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

xclr82xtc wrote:
i agree that as you increase compression you increase heat.. and if my understanding is correct, this is because your compressing moving molecules and the movement between them creates greater and greater heat..
That's about the size of it.

but what happens when you compress the molecules enough they stop moving? or at least slow enough to create a substantial reduction in heat output.
That can't ever happen as an atom is 99.9999999999999999% EMPTY SPACE

and if you compressed them to this point, fast enough, perhaps you "trapped" some of the N2O before it had a chance separate.
Theoretically NONE of it separates prior to combustion but in actual practice at high enough quantites of nitrous I'm 99% certain it does. However, you are now mixing the nitrous being in liquid and changing to gas form, with DISSOCIATION when they are 2 TOTALLY different things.

remember that not only do you have the piston causing an increase in pressure, but the un-bonded N2O molecules MUST occupy more space once split.
Unbonded molecules of N2O are ATOMS of nitrogen and oxygen and I'm NOT aware that they'd take up any more space in that form and doubt they do or if they do it's by a minimal amount.

(because they are in gas form now, and not liquid,
You're MIXING the issues again JC - see above. By the time the nitrous dissociates there is NO DOUBT that it will have ALREADY been in gaseous form.

then there is still just a little room for compression preventing hydro-lock of the cylinder.
That's not going to happen as long as ALL the contents are gaseous as they SHOULD BE!!!

also the outside edges of the charge shouldn't be as dense as the center, due to the high speed of the engine "out running" the pressure equlization though out the cylinder, again preventing hydrolock.
No idea where you get that concept from!!!!!

The molecules to stop moving first would be in the center of the charge, as the center of the charge would receive the highest pressure first. (as pressure is evenly distributed from the outside, the center MUST reach maximum pressure before the rest of the charge... progressively of course)
I think you'll find that in ANY single chamber situation, that pressure changes will be UNIFORM and not start in one location and move to another. The only proviso to that is unless there is a SQUISH area and in that case you are correct (but not for the right reason), because the squish area is designed to generate a volume of high pressure gas, which is projected towards the spark plug to promote combustion.

this pressure would slow the phase change of any liquid remaining in the center of the charge even if it didn't completely eliminate it.
FORGET the idea that ANY 'LIQUID' nitrous EVEN REACHES the combustion chamber, never mind still exists in that form by the time compression has even STARTED.

therefore "saving the cooling affect" for later in the combustion cycle. (hence my original comment there there had to be just a slight amount of liquid left) so ultimately the center of the charge is the coldest, (thanks to the slowed phase change) and the least "active" ( thanks to the pressure) spot in the nitrous charge. and thats where i get my "trapping the reaction" theory.
NOPE SORRY JC that's NEVER going to happen and the ONLY cooling media IN the chamber DURING combustion, is any EXCESS FUEL.

it also occurs to me that any in cylider testing probes would only record the outer edges of the charge and not the center so any data from them, while useful, is not a direct picture of what is occuring.
There will be variations in the temps across the combustion chamber but they have NOTHING to do with the liquid or gaseous state or the dissociated state of the nitrous.

It also just so happens that the epicenter of this would happen right under the spark plug.
Even if all the above was correct that would ONLY apply on 4 valve heads and some 2 strokes.

( i dont suggest this phenomenon would occur throughout the whole cylinder) This would explain the need for spark advance. i would also be interested to know if the tuners at these levels of nitrous are having to add what seems like "extra" fuel for the amount of nitrous they are using, as this would fit directly into my theory.
NO they are doing the REVERSE at the highest levels, as they are running as LITTLE fuel as possible but the reason for that is as follows (although NONE of them are aware this is the case);
They are super cooling the fuel so much, that any excess fuel fails to VAPORISE adequately and as a consequence it doesn't burn correctly, leading to either a lean burn melt down or detonation.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:56 pm 
Site Admin

xclr82xtc wrote:
eh screw it.. after some though. i think in theory it could happen but i dont think the pressures or temperature required are avalible in an IC engine.

Leave me to do the hard shit JC and you do the easier bit of learning what I pass on to you. I just wish I'd had someone offer me that deal 35 years ago, as it would have made my life so much easier.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:46 am 
Learner

letting someone else figure it all out really has no appeal to me trevor, although, ill soak up everything i can learn.

...your statement about super cooling the fuel, thats part of what confuses me.. i know that the fuel will cool in the intake tract when it is mixing with nitrous. But if you are correct (and i assume you are) then how could that fuel still be chilled. if there is so much heat in the chamber then the fuel should absorb some of that heat...probably ALOT of that heat, and maybe even enough to start vaporization.

and that leads me back to the advanced timing.. youd add nitrous and you pull timing and you pull timing, and you add nitrous and you pull more timing... then all of a sudden, your timing is good and you have to start adding timing back to add more nitrous. and normally right after that point, then engine wont take anymore nitrous.

SOMETHING is buffering the flame if you have to advance the timing...either, super cool fuel, as you stated (which a gain makes no sense because it should pickup heat) or something is going on with the nitrous that is making it not burn at full speed and perhaps even slowing the burn..

so whats going on hear trevor?

Last edited by xclr82xtc on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:57 am 
Learner

tell you what i would like to do, is build a SERIOUS engine.. capable of extreme horsepower, start with high compression head gaskets and heads and drive it to the absolute limits.. till the point it wont take anymore nitrous and makes all the horsepower it can, then take the same engine and put a thicker head gasket (lower compression) and do the same thing, and see what horsepower it makes.. then repeat 3 or 4 more times to see if there is any clear pattern. i would be willing to put money on it that at the end of the day, the engine with the lowest compression would make the most horsepower.

also id like to take one of those engines "after" its hit the limit and put a extremly hot "screen" (supplied by PLENTY of voltage supply) inside the intake runner, to jump start some of the nitrogen and oxygen splitting. see what happens.. just cuz.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

xclr82xtc wrote:
letting someone else figure it all out really has no appeal to me trevor, although, ill soak up everything i can learn.
A man after my own heart. :yes:

...your statement about super cooling the fuel, thats part of what confuses me.. i know that the fuel will cool in the intake tract when it is mixing with nitrous.
I'm talking about US kits in that statement, where the nitrous and fuel are MIXED IMMEDIATELY at the point of injection and as a consequence the fuel is FROZEN. That's one of the main reasons for using individual injectors located as far apart as possible, as we are doing now, as that seriously reduces the cooling effect on the fuel.

But if you are correct (and i assume you are) then how could that fuel still be chilled. if there is so much heat in the chamber then the fuel should absorb some of that heat...probably ALOT of that heat, and maybe even enough to start vaporization.
That's exactly what does happens under NA conditions and modest nitrous levels BUT when you're starting from FROZEN globules of fuel (rather than just COOL fuel) and when there's TONS of it (rather than just a small percentage), there becomes a point when some of the fuel (at least), fails to heat up adequately and fast enough to become 100% vaporised and that leaves pools (at worst) of liquid fuel which CAN'T BURN and the mixture is then either too lean or the fuel tries to ignite due to flame front compression but either way the end result is KABOOM!!!!

and that leads me back to the advanced timing.. youd add nitrous and you pull timing and you pull timing, and you add nitrous and you pull more timing... then all of a sudden, your timing is good and you have to start adding timing back to add more nitrous. and normally right after that point, then engine wont take anymore nitrous.

SOMETHING is buffering the flame if you have to advance the timing...either, super cool fuel, as you stated (which a gain makes no sense because it should pickup heat) or something is going on with the nitrous that is making it not burn at full speed and perhaps even slowing the burn..
The thing to remember is that MOST of timing retard is a BAND AID for a badly 'created' nitrous kit and that a correctly designed system needs far less retard and that's due to the DENSITY (NOT quite LIQUID as you've been describing it), of the nitrous that reaches the chambers.
The most likely reason for there being a need to reverse the timing changes (CEASE to retard the timing is a better term rather than 'advancing it'), as you add more nitrous beyond a certain point, is that the more you add the MORE DENSE it will be when it reaches the combustion chamber, because there is a limited amount of heat avaialble to be exchanged in a limited amount of time and yet there is now MORE COLD nitrous to do it with, so the end result will be a cooler and denser nitrous rich charge, which is less prone to detonation and therefore needs less timing retard.

This is the HUGE issue that EVERYONE seems to overlook, when you add more and more nitrous, MANY factors change as a consequence, so what works well at a small shot, could be (and in my experience usually is) totally wrong above a certain power level.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)