NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Direct Nitrous Injection using Spark Plug port
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:19 am 
Learner

Hello Gents,

Direct Nitrous Injection...apologies if this has been talked about before :?: :?:

It seems to me the most cost effective solution to Direct Nitrous injection that could work for every Spark Ignition engine (i.e. be a universal application and not model specific) would be to somehow combine the spark plug and nitrous injector?? Has this been thought about/attempted? You wouldn't need to drill into manifolds, have intermediate plates between manifold and cylinder head etc, because you can utilise the spark plug port to directly access the combustion chamber. (NO REVERSION + RAM CHARGING :evil: )

Simply unscrew the standard spark plugs. Fit WON Nitrous injector/Plugs with the same thread as the standard spark plug. 5 mins. :)
Is there an engineering standard for threads cut on spark plugs that all OEM manufacturers use? That would be a huge bonus.

Issue:Not all combustion chamber designs are the same (spark plug location/angle differs depending on shape of chamber) so could that effect how the nitrous plume is distributed into the cylnder...??

Benefit: Nitrous is not flammable so unlike a combined fuel/spark device there would be no risk of ignition of the source (nitrous bottle/tank)

Issue: A nitrous injector poking into the combustion chamber is going to get hot?? So would require cooling? (maybe the nitrous flow through the injector itself can be used as a sink?)

For most applications (power levels) You could simply upgrade the stock fuel injectors to flow enough extra capacity of fuel when injecting N20 (if the stock system is capable of flowing enough under current max duty cycle then that'll be a bonus) :)

Not sure how you would (fuel)jet a carb properly though.. surely the jet requirements when running N20 and running NA will be different??? And your back to the reversion problem.. deliberately making the mixture rich knowing that your going to add oxygen from the nitrous directly at the combustion chamber is going to make the standard N/A air/fuel induction charge less efficient :( . Your displacing air volume for excess fuel volume...also air can only support so much volume of atomised fuel before it drops out of suspension and pools along intake runners etc... So a carb application may benefit from injectors at the end of the intake runners (i.e. as close to the intake valve as possible)..However this approach wouldn't work either as the idea with direct injection is to inject nitrous when the inlet valve is closing/closed, so injecting fuel against a closing valve is going to cause it to revert up the inlet runner instead of going into the chamber. :(

Ideally then you would need to deliver the extra fuel directly into the combustion chamber as well as the nitrous.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: Direct Nitrous Injection using Spark Plug port
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:52 am 
Site Admin

Yes the 'concept' of feeding nitrous directing in to the combustion chamber (which I called ICI) has been previously covered, as it was part of A VISION (lol) that I had, while being administered morphine for an operation to remove my gall bladder.

Full details are here;
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2541&start=0

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Post subject: Re: Direct Nitrous Injection using Spark Plug port
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:56 am 
Learner

Ahhh thought I had read about it before on here... :P couldn't remember what you called the concept and what thread is was in.

Thanks Trev. 8)