NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nitrous, engine load & stress
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

I decided I’d start a thread to deal with the issue of STRESS, as it seems most people who ‘THINK’ they know all they need to know to challenge me on this subject, need a THOROUGH LESSON to show how LITTLE THEY REALLY ‘KNOW’.

SIMPLE FACT 1;

It is OBVIOUSLY TRUE that adding nitrous oxide to an engine via an incorrectly designed kit, that has been fitted incorrectly and/or is used incorrectly and/or has NOT been setup/tuned correctly WILL ADD STRESS to an engine.

SIMPLE FACT 2;

I have 100s of thousands of customers using MY systems and NOT A SINGLE customer who has followed my instructions correctly, has ever damaged a single engine component, DESPITE A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF THEM having increased the power by as much as 100%.

SIMPLE QUESTION 1;

If nitrous oxide is supplied to an engine by a CORRECTLY designed system, that has been fitted correct, which is then set up/tuned correctly and is then used correctly, adds stress to the engine in the magnitude such ill informed people believe it does, then how come the 100s of thousands of customers using MY systems DO NOT BREAK ANY PARTS!?!?!?!?

SIMPLE ANSWER 1;

MY systems do NOT increase stress AT ALL or at very least to anywhere near the magnitude, such ill informed people expect.

SIMPLE QUESTIONS 2;

What happens to power and therefore the load and stress, if the timing is retarded on a NA engine?

SIMPLE ANSWER 1;

If you retard the timing on a NA engine the power falls and therefore so does the load and stress on the engine.

MORE SIMPLE FACTS;

1) Adding nitrous to an engine increases the combustion speed, therefore without retarding the timing by an appropriate amount, the PEAK LOAD on the engine WILL increase but that does not necessarily mean the stress will also increase.

2) By RETARDING the timing, it is possible to reduce the PEAK load on the engine and therefore any increase in stress.

3) UNLIKE a NA engine, a UNIQUE quality of a nitrous injection engine, is that excessively retarding the timing, DOES NOT CAUSE a total loss of performance.

4) By EXCESSIVELY retarding the timing, IT IS POSSIBLE with a nitrous engine to actually REDUCE the PEAK load/stress on the engine components (even below that of NA), whilst still making MORE MEAN POWER.

5) For anyone who doesn’t understand how this is possible, allow me to explain;
i) Combustion chamber pressure rises are EXPONENTIAL in the extreme and as a consequence, PEAK combustion pressure ONLY occurs for a fraction of a second
ii) The value it reaches depends on a number of factors, the amount of combustion charge, engine speed, ignition timing.
iii) Overly advanced timing results in extreme, undesirable PEAK pressures
iv) The pressure AFTER PEAK pressure is always in decline
v) By filling the combustion chamber with more charge and then firing it later than optimum, such high PEAK pressures can be AVOIDED but because there is much more expanding exhaust gases, the MEAN pressure is HIGHER, which results in a higher pressure from the point of PEAK pressure onwards, despite that pressure being in DECLINE. The result is an increased push on the piston for a longer period of time, before they exit the exhaust valve.

6) Whilst we are making more power it is NOT AN UNAVOIDABLE CONSEQUENCE that more stress is generated, DUE TO the way that increased force is generated/applied.

7) Even without the timing corrected the engine is subjected to less stress than normal (or at worst ONLY MARGINALLY more), as a consequence of the difference between the combustion process NA and how it’s changed by adding nitrous.

8) Without nitrous the NA combustion process is akin to hitting the piston with a sharp blow from a hammer, because there is minimal charge in the cylinder (compared to a nitrous charge) and therefore the combustion process is short and sharp, like a hammer blow.

9) However, although the burn rate is quicker when nitrous is added, there is much more to burn, so the process takes longer overall and so it acts more like a SUSTAINED PUSH on the piston, rather than a blow from a hammer.

10) Surprising for most people, without nitrous the cycle of pressure/force changes within the engine are extreme in comparison with those when nitrous is added. Rather than the sharp rises and falls in pressures/forces within a NA engine, a nitrous engine sees more SUSTAINED and more prolonged changes, which is MUCH KINDER to the engine components than NA.

11) The best example I witnessed of that was on a motorcycle I was dyno testing some years ago. The bike had a very long chain run and when doing a full power run NA the chain was whipping about like something deranged. However, when the same power run was carried out USING NITROUS, the chain stayed PERFECTLY STRAIGHT WITH NOT A SINGLE IRREGULARITY!!!!

12) This PROVED to me that the NA combustion process was like the piston being BRIEFLY HIT by a hammer, while the nitrous combustion was more like a MORE SUSTAINED PUSH on the piston

13) The load/stress on engine components rises EXPONENTIALLY as rpm rises, for anyone who doesn’t understand what ‘exponential’ means, here is an example of an exponential rise rate;
1 – 2 – 4 – 8 – 16 – 32 – 64 etc. etc.
The load on the engine (in particular the piston/con rod) might be as follows;
At 1,000 rpm = 1 unit of load/stress
At 2,000 rpm = 2 units
At 3,000 rpm = 4 units
At 4,000 rpm = 8 units
At 5,000 rpm = 16 units
Etc.

14) This means that you could increase the power by say 50 hp at say 1,000 rpm and it could create less load/stress than the same engine running at say 2,000 rpm WITHOUT the 50 hp increase.

15) When tuning NA to achieve substantial power increases it is UNAVOIDABLE to do so without increasing the peak rpm of the engine, which INEVITABLY results in HUGE increases in load/stress.

16) With nitrous you DO NOT NEED to use even ONE rpm more to increase the power of the engine, therefore for an equivalent increase in power (say 50 hp), a NA engine will be subjected to MUCH HIGHER loads and stresses than a nitrous engine.

17) Furthermore it is ACTUALLY ADVISABLE to use nitrous over the LOWER rpm range, because it is more effective then, as each induction cycle is longer and therefore more nitrous gets in to the cylinder per stroke, which results in a HUGE increase in torque.

18) Even using the normal peak rpm shift point is unadvisable, as using a lower rpm shift point results in quicker acceleration, because more time is spent using the higher torque output generated at the lower rpm, that the engine drops to after a lower peak rpm shift.

19) As RPM rises, less and less nitrous enters the engine per cycle, therefore reducing the load on the engine when inertia loadings are naturally increasing

20) Inertia loadings are the main cause of component failure

21) The combination of maximum effect (torque) being generated at the lowest rpm and the fact that inertial loadings rise exponentially as rpm rises, in conjunction with short shifting (as I always recommend), means that it’s not only possible NOT to increase the load on an engine when adding 50 hp of nitrous but it’s also possible to REDUCE the load below that on a NA engine whilst still achieving an increase in performance.

22) The perfect example of that is the latest Audi V8 engines which started suffering component failure due to excessive inertia loadings just before they were released on the market. To overcome the problem, they lowered the rev limiter by a few 100 rpm but this still left them close to the limits of what was reliable. However, despite that being the case, we have added in excess of 100 hp worth of nitrous and by advising customers to cut the nitrous off or shift 500 to 1,000 rpm earlier than normal peak rpm, those customers continue to have TOTAL RELIABILITY.

23) The more intake charge you feed to an engine, the more effort it takes to compress it and this effort acts as a damper/limiter to rising inertia loadings, so it’s actually safer to run with nitrous than without it.

24) MOST engine failures occur when the power is REMOVED, therefore if we just use a ‘simple’ law of physics that ‘APPEARS’ to state, that adding more power unavoidably results in more stress and therefore less power should create less stress, that should not be the case BUT IT IS A FACT.

25) It is also a FACT that THE REVERSE of what causes such failures, is responsible for why nitrous can make such HUGE power increases WITHOUT breaking anything due to increased ‘stress’.

26) The reason parts brake when you remove the power is as follows;
i) When the pistons move upwards they generate HUGE inertia loading, which as stated previously, rise exponentially as rpm rises and the ONLY THING that stops the piston crashing in to the head, is NOT the con rod BUT THE VOLUME OF CHARGE BEING COMPRESSED AND FIRED on top of the piston.
ii) If you rev your engine up to max and then throttle off instantly, the cushion of gases vanish (as does the start of the combustion process) and is replaced with a VACUUM and guess what happens to the con rod and big end bolts in the process.
iii) If you haven’t guessed it or don’t know, the answer is that THEY STRETCH and in so doing they weaken and will eventually break. So THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO to an engine is NOT to add more power but TO TAKE IT AWAY.
iv) As stated above, removing the gases that the engine is pumping leads to component failure, it therefore follows that INCREASING THEM WILL REDUCE COMPONENT FAILURE.

27) Conrods and conrod bolts are NOT as capable at handling stretching forces, as they are at handling compression forces, therefore the last points made above are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

Anyone who relies on the laws of physics and/or thinks such laws are ‘simple’ to apply and understand, should first make sure that the law itself is appropriate and being applied not only correctly but also with a full understanding of not only the law but also the subject it’s being applied to – THAT’S A BIG ASK for even the MOST QUALIFIED people let alone the simpletons on most forums who probably don’t even have an ‘A’ level in Physics.

There are no "simple" laws of physics and to think so will inhibit your understanding of many things in life. I'm always being told I'm wrong because of this law or that law but the FACT IS MY RESULTS PROVE I'M RIGHT!!!

More often than not, those that rely on those 'simple' laws of physics are either not applying them correctly or don't understand the full extent of the principles involved.

CLOSING STATEMENT;
Whilst adding nitrous from a badly designed nitrous kit (as ALL others are), in an incorrect manner and under certain conditions, will most certainly increase stress, just like most things, if the job is done correctly, the reverse can be the case and as I stated previously, IT IS POSSIBLE to run a nitrous engine which will deliver improved performance, WITHOUT increasing the risk of engine failure, when you KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject: Re: Nitrous, engine load & stress
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:47 pm 

Hi :)

Wow that was a good read.....I am always amazed by the number of people who do not understand the basics of WELL DESIGNED Nitrous...

When people ask me..."what have you done to your engine and gearbox to take that extra Nitrous power"

My answer is....."NOTHING....ITS ONLY DONE 143,000 MILES so its hardly run in, and has a PROPERLY designed Won nitrous system"

And last time I looked, all 8 of my pistons were still there and not stressed lol :)

My engine is no different now to when I installed my first WON system around 4 years ago....no problems, no extra wear, nothing....

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:09 am 
Wizard

I shall be making very good use of these facts Trev :D
3 weeks to go :beatstick:

My 840 is like a hot stripper.
I just keep throwing money at her and hope that someday she will give me the ride of my life

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

I forgot to include a VERY IMPORTANT contributor to the load & stress lesson – DETONATION.

FACT 1;
Detonation is the result of any number of INCORRECT aspects of combustion.

FACT 2;
Detonation causes abnormally high combustion pressures

FACT 3;
Those abnormally high combustion pressures are generated in the form of extremely severe hammer blows, hence the term knocking as the hammer blows resound throughout the engine.

FACT 4;
The higher the induction temperature, the lower the level at which detonation will occur.

FACT 5;
Nitrous oxide injection super cools the induction charge, which raises the level at which detonation will occur or put another way, it reduces the risk of detonation setting in and killing your engine.
Since it is well known that detonation is the main killer of parts UNDER LOAD, and as it is not so much the pressures involved as the manner in which those pressures are generated (severe hammer blows) and as the CORRECT nitrous combustion process is a more sustained PUSH, they are at OPPOSITE EXTREMES and forces created by and the consequences of nitrous combustion can also be considered as the REVERSE of detonation.
I’m also going to generate some graphs and diagrams to help demonstrate as many of the FACTS listed above, for anyone who does not understand the printed word so well.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:23 pm 
Learner

I was thinking that maybe I should keep my mouth shut. But I know that Trev is the kind of guy who likes all facts & opinions to be aired, so I'm putting my better judgment aside for the moment. If I might put my head on the chopping block...

I disagree with #18, at least in the world of the lower-revving V8 engines (i.e. up to 6000 RPM or so). Although on a given nitrous shot you certainly pick up more low-end torque than high-end torque, when you multiply the torque at that RPM by the torque multiplication from the gearbox, I have never found it advantageous to actually lower my shift points. The torque multiplication from the transmission is just too great to pick up speed by lowering shift points. And every time I've looked at torque curves vs. gear ratios, I've come to the same conclusion for every car I've ever looked at. (torque at wheels = torque at engine times overall gear reduction)

That might not be the case for motorcycles which have a completely different torque curve and RPM range, I have never looked at that closely enough. If you have enough gear ratios that are close enough (i.e. only a tiny RPM drop between gearshifts) then the principle makes sense.

However I'll add one more advantage to a nitrous motor - the ability to have a tighter torque converter for better drivability under other conditions (although how many automatic transmissions have a non-lockup converter anymore).

-BC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Bob,

As you say (and contrary to what those who DON'T know me claim), I'm always HAPPY to have other people air their opinions and experiences, as long as it's done in a polite manner (as you always do) and having you ONLY disagree with that one, conversely validates the others.

I'm a bit short for time just now, so I'll get back with my response later tonight but I just wanted to make the above VERY IMPORTANT POINT in its own post, so that those who 'THINK';
1) my only purpose for my posts is self glorification
2) think I ban anyone who disagrees with me
3) talk out of my arse all the time

ARE PROVED WRONG. :tard:

I'M MORE THAN HAPPY TO HAVE PEOPLE MAKE POSTS THAT CONTRADICT MY OWN, AS LONG AS THEY (AS I), MAKE THE POST IN A POLITE MANNER, KEEP AN OPEN MIND ABOUT THE OUTCOME AND ACKNOWLEDGE THE CONCLUSION IF THEY ARE 'PROVEN' WRONG.

I would just like to state that in this matter, there may not be a right and a wrong, as is often the case with subjects with so much diversity, as there is in the automotive world.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:31 am 
Site Admin

bobc455 wrote:
I was thinking that maybe I should keep my mouth shut. But I know that Trev is the kind of guy who likes all facts & opinions to be aired, so I'm putting my better judgment aside for the moment. If I might put my head on the chopping block...
You're my kind of guy Bob, step up and be counted, however, I think you should have presented your experiences in a slightly different way, please see below.

I disagree with #18, at least in the world of the lower-revving V8 engines (i.e. up to 6000 RPM or so). Although on a given nitrous shot you certainly pick up more low-end torque than high-end torque, when you multiply the torque at that RPM by the torque multiplication from the gearbox, I have never found it advantageous to actually lower my shift points.
You can’t (and I don’t think you actually are) disagreeing with the core principle of point 18, because it is a FACT, that more nitrous enters a given induction cycle at lower rpm, than at higher rpm and that translates in to more torque being generated at the lower rpm range.

The torque multiplication from the transmission is just too great to pick up speed by lowering shift points. And every time I've looked at torque curves vs. gear ratios, I've come to the same conclusion for every car I've ever looked at. (torque at wheels = torque at engine times overall gear reduction)
I’m not a gearbox man (I’ve got enough on dealing with understanding how best to get the power to the end of the crank), so I’ve never looked in to calculating or studying such matters, therefore I don’t know what the theory on this subject indicates but I’m VERY SURPRISED at the results you’ve determined and the experiences you’ve had, because they are the REVERSE of my own experiences, as I’ll relate a little later.
BTW it’s such a shame that we don’t see the words “I don’t know” more often, rather than the “I know it all” claims we so often see on forums, when in fact they really know NOTHING!!!

That might not be the case for motorcycles which have a completely different torque curve and RPM range, I have never looked at that closely enough. If you have enough gear ratios that are close enough (i.e. only a tiny RPM drop between gearshifts) then the principle makes sense.
As I’m sure you’re aware by now Bob, I have substantial experience with a vast array of vehicles, ranging from moped (or smaller), right through to 800” Pro Mod engines, although I have to admit, on this specific subject I can’t claim to have a HUGE amount of experiences to call on but ALL those experiences I have, ALL indicated the same thing and not just in a vague way but extremely convincingly as well.

So here are my experiences and although the first one sounds FANTASTICAL, it REALLY did happen;
It was only the 2nd time I’d used nitrous EVER and it was on a LOW rpm 250cc single cylinder motorcycle. It was also my VERY FIRST Drag race event, as up to that point I’d only been a Sprinter and only got to use the new found nitrous power at the last meeting of the year and I was so desperate to experience it again, that I thought I’d try my hand at Drag racing.
I was the ONLY racer there with anything less than a 1,000cc four cylinder Jap bike and the ONLY one using nitrous as it was virtually unheard of in those days.
For reasons at the time I was unaware, the bike would run PERFECTLY NA but as soon as I gave it a sniff of nitrous it would bend valves as soon as I changed gear ….. and NO I was not over revving it and I did find the cause of the problem a year or so later but that’s another rather bizarre story.
As a consequence of the valve bending problem and in the absence of a cure, I concluded my only chance of getting to the end of the track under full power, was to start the race in a higher gear. I first tried using 2nd gear and noticed that the bike pulled much harder, than it seem to do when launching in 1st gear but unfortunately as I shifted in to 3rd, I bent the valves again.
I then decided to try launching in 3rd and by this time I was in the 1st round of eliminations and still not having had chance to figure out how the traffic lights worked, because of being distracted by the inevitable valve bending problem.

The bike I was drawn against was a tuned 1,100cc 4 cylinder Kawasaki, with an experienced rider in the seat. The lights went green and he was gone, leaving me to struggle to not only react to the lights (slowly) but also engage the clutch in 3rd gear from standstill, without stalling the engine (luckily I was a master at clutch control which made me the envy of most Sprinters of the time), which I eventually managed.

By this time the Kawasaki was a SUBSTANTIAL distance down the track (I’ll let you work out roughly how much) and then I nailed the nitrous lever. The bike took off like nothing I had ever experienced up to that time (remember I’d been riding a 9 sec Slingshot supercharged nitro burning 650cc Sprinter prior to this bike) and went flying past the Kawasaki like it was stood still – I know that sounds UNBELIEVABLE but be ASSURED it is TRUE!!!
Unfortunately as I shifted to 4th gear, the valves mangled up once again and that was the end of the run. I coasted the rest of the ¼ and clocked something like 19 secs @ 23 mph if my memory serves me right and just to make that more incredible, the bike in NA mode was only capable of about an 18.5 sec ¼ time.

Just to verify the above statement, let me tell you what the Kawasaki rider said to me after the race and I quote almost word for word as it’s engraved in my memory;
“I saw I was paired with you and thought I’d got an easy win in the bag, as your engine was less than a ¼ the size of mine and because I’d seen you having serious problems soon after the launch on all your qualifying runs. When the lights went down I cut a good light and I could see you still sat there out of the corner of my eye, so I was even more convinced the win was mine BUT the next thing I know, you came past me like I was stood still, so I just put my head down to try my best to win and didn’t look again until I got to the end. I looked up and couldn’t see you anywhere and wondered if you’d gone so quick that you were already on your way back.”

One final piece of evidence to consider, my current US Real Street bike customer has reported on 3 separate occasions, that he’s recorded his best results (including when he set the world record), on runs when he’s accidently short shifted and suggested that he could have run quicker had he shifted correctly.
I then pointed out that it’s my belief that the reason he’s run quicker, is BECAUSE he short shifted (not in spite of it) and so Cecil was about to implement a track test program to determine if my assertions are correct. His recent accident have set that back a good few weeks but I hope he’ll be back on that track soon, so we should have some further evidence on the matter then.

Although my experiences cover a wide range of vehicles, I would not rule out the possibility that ‘certain’ engine and gearbox configurations, ‘MAY’ not produce the same results as I’ve experienced, so your observations may be correct in your instances. However, I would respectfully advise you to take another look at not only your theory on the subject but also reapply some tests, just to be sure, because in the ‘theory’ I’m applying I believe it SHOULD apply to all engines, although I can imagine that it might not apply to all gearboxes.

However I'll add one more advantage to a nitrous motor - the ability to have a tighter torque converter for better drivability under other conditions (although how many automatic transmissions have a non-lockup converter anymore).
That in itself is because of the increased low rpm torque.

-BC

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:07 am 

ok you know I'm open to learn. but you also know I'm a small block ford nut! in my car it never see's over 7,200 rpm but that is at the end of the track I shift at 6,600 because the higher you shift the more stress is put on your motor. after saying that it is also know that n.o.s has alot of other factors. lets say you leave the line at 3000 rpm and leave at 100% n.o.s that would be very hard on your motor. however if you leave the line at the same rpm but only 30% n.o.s and increase it up to 100% it is less harmful. now saying that! all motors are not the same. some can take alot more rpm's then my motor but I'm going off mine. being it is a stock block 347 stroker. that see's a lot of n.o.s .
but there is a lot of factors to go fast. here are a few.
tire size
gears in the rear end
type and gear set of tranny
wieght of the car
the eng, I'll leave this one vage because there is a lot of factors in the motor. but lets just say every thing needs to match one another.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

The following is a VERY ROUGH 'REPRESENTATION' of kinds of differences in combustion pressures involved that relate to my previous text.

http://www.noswizard.com/admin1/pdf/cyl ... sures1.pdf

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:51 pm 
Wizard

all sound good to me

the shifting early thing makes sense, as in the longer in time the valves are open the more nitrous mix can be drawn in
and the fact that a nitrous mix is far more dense would give more power per time the valve is open, compaired to NA
the actual rpm range required would differ from engine to engine though? depending on the engine specific point of maximum efficency
if your engine was designed to make max power at 3000rpm compaired to an engine which makes max power at 6000rpm
the point at which you were shifting early would change considerably

also in ref to the removing of power breaking parts, i thought the exhaust stroke was the most stressful event in an engine?
no gas buffer, infact quite the opposite. the air is flowing out the exhaust valves creating a vacuum that the piston has to overcome as it passes tdc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

mrmoo wrote:
the shifting early thing makes sense, as in the longer in time the valves are open the more nitrous mix can be drawn in
and the fact that a nitrous mix is far more dense would give more power per time the valve is open, compaired to NA
the actual rpm range required would differ from engine to engine though?
Only by virtue to the original engine specification but it is also possible (based on Bob's experience etc.) that there may be other factors also involved, like the type of trans (although I've had good results from both manual and autos) and/or the type of convertor.

depending on the engine specific point of maximum efficency
if your engine was designed to make max power at 3000rpm compaired to an engine which makes max power at 6000rpm
the point at which you were shifting early would change considerably
Without doubt, although the point of maximum efficient will have changed due to the DISRUPTION to the original design intentions of adding nitrous oxide and THAT IN ITSELF is reason enough to at least RE-EVALUATE the optimum shift point.

also in ref to the removing of power breaking parts, i thought the exhaust stroke was the most stressful event in an engine?
no gas buffer, infact quite the opposite. the air is flowing out the exhaust valves creating a vacuum that the piston has to overcome as it passes tdc

When under full power it is and for the reasons you give, although once again adding nitrous REDUCES the stress & risks involved. You're reason is close to exactly correct but as rpm rises and the volume of charge increases with less and less time to pump out the spent exhaust gases, you will find the piston having some degree of residual gas to 'push' against, so there may/will be a degree of damping BUT when you add nitrous, you can actually get to a point where the exhaust gases can't be completely cleared from the combustion chamber, so ONCE AGAIN, adding nitrous (and more and more of it), will REDUCE the stress on the engine during the most critical part of the engine cycle.
Going back to the point of maximum stress, when you shut off from high rpm you have as close to a pure vacuum above the piston as its possible to get that means there is no damping at all, so that is (by a small margin), the most stressful part of the engines cycle.

What makes me really sad about these ‘smart’ people is that they quote laws, without knowing enough to use them correctly and then refuse to accept reasoned argument and factual evidence that PROVES THEY ARE WRONG rather than LEARN THE TRUTH!!!

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:10 pm 
Wizard

so for maximum safety it's best to back off slowly, rather than snap the throttle shut
bonus of this is unloading the stress on the trans slower too =)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

crossbreed wrote:
I shift at 6,600 because the higher you shift the more stress is put on your motor.
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT and inadvertently you might be benefitting from the advantages I mentioned that improve ET's.
If you feel inclined and get the chance, how about shifting say 400 rpm higher for a couple of runs, just to see what the effect is on your ET's.

lets say you leave the line at 3000 rpm and leave at 100% n.o.s that would be very hard on your motor. however if you leave the line at the same rpm but only 30% n.o.s and increase it up to 100% it is less harmful.
VERY TRUE but here's a thought for you, when you pulse a solenoid (especially a US solenoid in a US kit), the engine STILL feels the 100% FORCE from the nitrous for at least a couple of firing cycles.
However, with a REVO, a 30% setting is a GENUINE 30% and NOT pulses 100% for 30% duration, therefore the REVO power is kinder to the engine than pulsed and pulsed is kinder than fixed, so that gives you a better idea of how much kinder the REVO is to an engine than staged kits are.

now saying that! all motors are not the same. some can take alot more rpm's then my motor but I'm going off mine. being it is a stock block 347 stroker. that see's a lot of n.o.s .
What jet sizes are you running?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:13 pm 
Wizard

Here's the rest of the story above from the Wizard:

Noswizard wrote:
Before discovering those I was told by TOP racers and engine builders, that I was putting too much nitrous in (these were people who had NEVER even heard of nitrous at that time) and it was creating so much cylinder pressure that it stopped the valves from opening.
At that time I knew next to nothing about anything but even then I found it IMPOSSIBLE to believe that could be the case.

The engine ran perfectly without nitrous and perfectly ON nitrous UNTIL I CHANGED GEAR and every time I did that it bent the valves and pushrods.

To solve the problem I lowered the compression to about 5:1 and replaced the race cam with a very low lift cam (just to be sure) and I ran it like that for a year or so, producing some every much improved times and 100% reliably.

I then decided that;
1) I was wasting a lot of potential power, so I should revert back to the original engine spec
2) I should have learned enough by then to be able to figure out the cause
so I put all the original parts back into the motor and on the very first run it bent the valves again, to be exact it was only one of the two valves but I can't remember which one for certain.

LUCKILY, while I was rebuilding the motor I spotted a clue to the cause.
Here's a few facts you need to know about the parts of the motor to appreciate the cause;
1) The cam followers are like upside down letter 'T's
2) The upright of the T is a round bar and the horizontal of the T is a flat foot
3) When these motors were originally designed they didn't realise that the flat foot was going to be a weakness because it was too thin.
4) Once they became aware that they were breaking frequently, they increased the thickness of the foot
5) The point at which the upright bar joined the flat foot was radiused (for obvious reasons)
6) The upright bar of the T's ran in guide holes that was machined into the side of the crankcase side by side
7) Due to there being adequate clearance (for normal use), between the cam foot and the lower end of the follower guide hole, there was not much of a radius at the bottom of the guide holes.

8 ) I built my motor out of the most readily available (and therefore cheapest) parts I had available (MAINLY) which meant I used the EARLY style crankcases that were intended to take the early type cam followers.
9) Knowing that the early cam followers were prone to breaking I fitted the later THICKER foot followers.
10) The camshaft was driven by a gear, which THANKFULLY one of the cam follower feet RUBBED AGAINST the side (face) of.

LUCKILY I was astute enough to notice (admittedly a year too late), that the cam follow had rubbed an unexpected 'TRACE' on the cam drive gear, which indicated that the follower was NOT FOLLOWING the cam for a portion of it's cycles. Instead it was moving away from the follower (by a BIG margin), as it started to pass over the nose of the cam, causing the follower (and valve train) to move upwards MUCH FURTHER than expected.

The upshot of all the above was this;
1) While running normally the cam followers WERE FOLLOWING the cam, so NO problem
2) When on nitrous, the INERTIA of the valve gear at the point of gear change, caused the follower radius to GET STUCK in the base of the guide, causing the valve to be wide open when it should have been shut or at least shutting, so the piston gave it a whack.
3) You probably don't have any of these in the USA but we have a good number of what we call HUMP BACK BRIDGES and the effect on the followers can be likened to driving over one of those. At slow speeds a car can drive over a hum backed bridge with no problems (all the wheels will stay on the tarmac) but drive over one at speed and you defy gravity.
4) Had I not fitted the followers with the thicker feet it may not have been a problem and had I used the later style crankcase that might also have prevented it, as they may have had more clearance to allow for the extra thickness.
5) The solution (back then when again I now know I 'STILL' knew VERY LITTLE), was just to get a ball cutter and add a BIG radius to the follower guides and hey presto no more bent valves.
6) I now know (when I 'THINK' I know a GREAT DEAL MORE than I did then), that the solution would be to fit stronger valve springs.

Despite the setbacks and the expense, it was DEFINITELY A WORTHWHILE learning experience, that's for certain.