NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Test article
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:05 am 
Learner

I was reading this test article from the Wizards website and although I believe their kits to be superior I was surprised that the massive increase in torque shown on the graphs for thier kit did not appear to show huge performance gains against the Nytrex kit....why do think this is....traction?

http://www.noswizard.com/pdf/nitrous_shootout_web.pdf

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Test article
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:02 pm 
Learner

in the 4th gear test from 30 to 80mph the Nytrex did 12.34 secs and the WON kit was a tad under a second faster at 11.33.

Now, a second faster with both kits spraying a 50 shot (the exact same amount of gas) shows to me theres a distinct performance advantage for the WON kit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:38 am 
Learner

Thats a fair point, 1 sec would give a fair old gap between the 2 cars, seems like traction then could be the issue on the acceleration times

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:00 pm 
Learner

bmwz4 wrote:
Thats a fair point, 1 sec would give a fair old gap between the 2 cars, seems like traction then could be the issue on the acceleration times

I would of thought the superior torque of the WON kit would of been why it was a second quicker, The WON kit produced 210lb/ft while the Nytrex only managed 179lb/ft.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:43 am 
Wizard

The WoN system is designed as a whole unit and not a mash of parts put together. The gap between the torque curve between the two systems clearly indicates that the Nytrex system (as well as all US generic systems) cannot deliver the nitrous and fuel in both proper quantity nor timing. The dip in the Nytrex system I suspect is from the lengthy and large bore braided supply pipe. Although the testers 'purged' the line (so they claim), you cannot completely eliminate the amount of nitrous GAS from the supply pipe, and it only takes SECONDS before more nitrous boils into a gas within the line while it attempts to fill its volume COMPLETELY. Furthermore, the large pipes from the solenoids to the injector, coupled with incorrect jet placement, create a delay where the liquid nitrous attempts to fill up the volume of the pipe and begin to flow through the small jet. Worse, there would still be pockets of nitrous gas that would also have to pass through before the line is COMPLETELY filled with liquid nitrous. The result is a mix of both liquid and gaseous nitrous entering the engine, causing a rich condition and reducing the amount of torque.

In contrast, the constant bore piping, jet placement, and insulating properties of a WoN system result in a FAR DENSER amount of LIQUID nitrous reaching the engine to produce the much higher amount of torque in those graphs and during the performance tests. Also consider that the pressure drop while the system is in use is much lower than that of the Nytrex kit, which results in the WoN system producing power for a longer period of time during the tests.

Now, this is only speculation since no one REALLY knows HOW they really set up and tested these systems. It was all done by them and had nothing to do with either company and that article is merely putting trust in them that what was written was accurate.

I CAN, however, say that there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between the performance of the two systems from my own testing (meaning WoN and all other generic brands). Specifically in one instance, is when I switched from braided 4 AN supply pipe to a 5mm nylon pipe more suited to my application (Solenoid NOS-to-WoN upgrade only at the time). The onset of nitrous (without any purge system as I don't run them) is MUCH more consistent and IMMEDIATE as compared to the choppy performance of the braided 4 AN pipe. With nylon, the power was super smooth, and with braided, I could feel the choppiness of the power for a gear or two before it would finally become consistent much like this (001100001100010010000101000000000000) where 1 indicates the 'dip' or 'skip' in power. Since I switched, I will never look back and I would ONLY run such piping to comply with race regulations here in the US (STUPID n2o regulations at that!). If I could manage running nylon pipe in large applications, I'd merely increase the NUMBER of 5mm supply pipes to match the flow requirements of the system. Even if I had to run 4 of them simultaneously, I'd rather do so than revert to braided pipe!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:44 am 
Wizard

The WoN system is designed as a whole unit and not a mash of parts put together. The gap between the torque curve between the two systems clearly indicates that the Nytrex system (as well as all US generic systems) cannot deliver the nitrous and fuel in both proper quantity nor timing. The dip in the Nytrex system I suspect is from the lengthy and large bore braided supply pipe. Although the testers 'purged' the line (so they claim), you cannot completely eliminate the amount of nitrous GAS from the supply pipe, and it only takes SECONDS before more nitrous boils into a gas within the line while it attempts to fill its volume COMPLETELY. Furthermore, the large pipes from the solenoids to the injector, coupled with incorrect jet placement, create a delay where the liquid nitrous attempts to fill up the volume of the pipe and begin to flow through the small jet. Worse, there would still be pockets of nitrous gas that would also have to pass through before the line is COMPLETELY filled with liquid nitrous. The result is a mix of both liquid and gaseous nitrous entering the engine, causing a rich condition and reducing the amount of torque.

In contrast, the constant bore piping, jet placement, and insulating properties of a WoN system result in a FAR DENSER amount of LIQUID nitrous reaching the engine to produce the much higher amount of torque in those graphs and during the performance tests. Also consider that the pressure drop while the system is in use is much lower than that of the Nytrex kit, which results in the WoN system producing power for a longer period of time during the tests.

Now, this is only speculation since no one REALLY knows HOW they really set up and tested these systems. It was all done by them and had nothing to do with either company and that article is merely putting trust in them that what was written was accurate.

I CAN, however, say that there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between the performance of the two systems from my own testing (meaning WoN and all other generic brands). Specifically in one instance, is when I switched from braided 4 AN supply pipe to a 5mm nylon pipe more suited to my application (Solenoid NOS-to-WoN upgrade only at the time). The onset of nitrous (without any purge system as I don't run them) is MUCH more consistent and IMMEDIATE as compared to the choppy performance of the braided 4 AN pipe. With nylon, the power was super smooth, and with braided, I could feel the choppiness of the power for a gear or two before it would finally become consistent much like this (001100001100010010000101000000000000) where 1 indicates the 'dip' or 'skip' in power. Since I switched, I will never look back and I would ONLY run such piping to comply with race regulations here in the US (STUPID n2o regulations at that!). If I could manage running nylon pipe in large applications, I'd merely increase the NUMBER of 5mm supply pipes to match the flow requirements of the system. Even if I had to run 4 of them simultaneously, I'd rather do so than revert to braided pipe!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Although the results of this article, 'adequately' proved the superiority of WON systems, over ANY US brand nitrous kit, it did NOT show the full extent of the superiority for the following reasons;
1) The company responsible for the article had a vested interest in BOTH systems showing good results, as they sold both brands
2) Said company used knowledge gained from ME, that was supplied to them to achieve optimum results from WON systems, to get better than 'normal' results from the NyTrex kit
3) To avoid the NyTrex kit being TOTALLY HUMILIATED, the supplying company PURGED the braided hose on the NyTrex MANUALLY, before ALL the tests. Purging in such a manor would produce irregular results and different tests would respond differently to even consistent purging.
4) In contrast the WON kit was not purged at all and although for general street use that isn't needed, there would have been a modest improvement in the results, if it had been purged.
5) I've seen cars using generic US brand kits run SLOWER 1/4 mile times when using an UNpurged system than they do WITHOUT the kit, so had the company not CHEATED, the results for the NyTrex kit would have been A FARCE.

Many people claimed this test was rigged in WONs FAVOUR because the difference was so great, so it was probably for the best that it wasn't a like for like (FAIR) comparrison, as NOBODY would have accepted the TRUE results.

Such a shame that those hundreds of thousands of people buying US brand kits are being mislead and sold UTTER JUNK, especially when a PERFECT ALTERNATIVE product, is so readily available. :evil:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!