NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Mustang GT 2004
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:43 am 
Wizard

The 100 jets are a success. The performance of the Musty is much more satisfying and the climate keeps the nitrous and fuel flow greater than standard, meaning I should be making even more power on the 100 jets.

The Maxy ramps up to over a period of 0.5 seconds and it isn't enough to get any traction in 2nd (stock rear gears) until time to change to the next gear. I also am concerned about the stock clutch, so this will be the max level for the time being. I'll experiment with the Maxy settings to maintain traction on the street.

This car is buku fun now.

No tunes, no need for expensive fuel mods.

Win, win, win!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:43 pm 
Wizard

Musty 100 bhp hit with Maxy Progressive

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:13 am 
Learner

:yes:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:05 pm 
Wizard

Ordered some jets to max out the system, which is at the perfect level for the stock engine. Still, the car needs tires and suspension work to take advantage of any extra power being made. The stock clutch works well at the 100 bhp level, it's unknown where the limit is because of its age. Engine should be making north of 400 lb ft to the ground around 3k rpm, a I welcome that on the stock rear end ratio.

I'm not willing to spend too much on this car besides the basic maintenance, but it will be involved in some kind of racing eventually: some fun strip events and auto-x.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:18 pm 
Wizard

Installed a fresh cylinder and topped off the propane as well. I can get about 20 lbs of nitrous safely to one 11lb cyl of propane (about 5.5 lbs filled). But best to have good habits about topping the fuel off.

I haven't hit it again, mainly because of the poor condition of the tyres. That'll come sometime soon.

I also found that my previous cylinder valve was leaking nitrous very slowly as it would lose some weight over a couple of days without any use. I managed to xfer the remaining liquid out and replaced the valve with a WoN valve. The generic one is still good, the issue was that it wasn't torqued to the bottle and a minor effort was needed to unseat it from the cylinder. Again, its best to ditch the junk and go with the best and safest valves.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:19 am 
Wizard

I don't wanna go too long without some kind of post, but the rainy season is here. Of course, that means that spirited driving is off the menu currently. I still need new shoes on the musty, but overall, the 100 hp boost definitely gives it a fun factor of 10!

My goals are pretty much reached on this car. The 100 hit is very balanced between performance, reliability, and consumption. When I get around to installing a second cylinder and supply pipe, I'll juice it up a tad more to 125. The second cyl will decrease the need for having to hot swap bottles on a spirited drive.

After being a WoN-head for what now is a few years, I can't say enough good things about these products and the WoN team.

For those interested, I post on instagram from time to time under the user 'doctornos'

I find it super simple to post what I'm up to on that.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:32 am 
Learner

good job pity about the weather, just out of curiosity how much do you pay for nitrous in your neck of the woods?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:54 am 
Wizard

I pay about $4 per pound ~ £3. Considering the drought that occurred for the past year and a half, I thought the prices would be double that. I think UK prices are higher currently?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:03 pm 
Learner

£8.... gutted

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:58 pm 
Wizard

bmwz4 wrote:
£8.... gutted

:shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:02 am 
Wizard

Upped my jets to 125. This should be the current max of the system, which is a comfortable increase for me. I stepped up because I now rarely use the system so high consumption of the lovely nectar isn't an issue. Any further and I'll simply run no jet on the nitrous side.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:53 pm 
Wizard

Car feels good on the upped jetting. A tad richer than expected so I dropped the fuel jet one size. It'll still be rich and safe, but recover some peak power. The power comes on nice and smooth as always and the short build times apply power quickly without making tire smoke.

The car definitely feels rejuvenated on the nectar! It's funny because it is so junky lookin and sounding when driving, but it'll kick some booty. It's great to make junk move out ahead of the new cars. 8)

The car has almost 109k miles on it and it's probably the quickest it's ever been! :albino:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:49 pm 
Wizard

I couldn't resist it this time, the curiosity of finding my system's max was just tearin up my brain. I removed the nitrous jet completely and stepped up on the fuel quite a bit. I ended up with the same AF as I did with the 250 jet (rich), so I leaned it out a bit and landed in the safely rich zone without the jet installed.

At 50% 1st gear is useless again and 2nd pulls like mad with the stock rear gears.

I'll have to keep track of the bottle contents to see what the consumption rate is and it will give me my approx power increase.

This car has responded so well to the lovely nectar and it's gonna put many grins on my passengers' faces. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :albino:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

:yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:58 pm 
Wizard

I'm really happy with the results I've had thus far. Propane was definitely the right choice for my projects. The car will stay in this fashion for a while, but I do have plans to slightly move a bit further with the power. To do this, the max flow of the system will need to be raised and two injectors fitted just below the plenum and tilted a bit for more distribution. Although the distribution is not as much of a concern with a gaseous fuel like propane, I'd still like as much of it as possible.

Twin crossfires, dual 4mm outlet piping, and dual 5mm inlet piping should up the max enough to achieve 170-180 bhp on the engine; softened by the Maxy at 35 Hz. The wizard system is soft enough on the pistons to do this with absolute reliability, therefore I have high confidence in achieving this goal.

I may not have super high powered projects, but mine are sure fun!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:36 am 
Wizard

I had some fun the other day with the Musty and a friend who wondered about the effect of the nitrous system has on it. Needless to say, he found out what a difference it makes via the huge grin on his face.

We ripped through 1st without any traction at all, even on the soft 30-50% ramp up. Second caught traction and the power quickly came full on to 100% then, in a mere blink of an eye, came the 5800 shift point. Once we reached 90 mph, I let off and the Rusty Musty had covered quite a bit of ground as our turn off had approached quickly. I jammed the brakes in order to make our left turn onto a side road.

After a quick turn around, we went back at it with the zip-through of the first 3 gears. In the same fashion, we came to our starting point, where there was once again little braking distance remaining, and I pressed the clutch in while I gave the max to the brake pedal. Needless to say, we had shit bricks because the car was showed no immediate signs of stopping and brake fade instantly came to mind. We did, however, make the necessary reduction in speed and made our almost missed turn off.

Finally, we parked the Musty and shut off the engine after a slight cool down period. The front brakes were smoking up a storm and they STUNK to say the least! What a riot the Musty is on the 125 hp hit! Fun day! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I noticed the fuel needed a bit of a reduction, so I dropped it again to bring the peak power up a bit more. This power level is just fine for such a sketchy vehicle! The car needs more gear, but it's not worth the money to spend on this junker just yet. 3.73 gears and some slicks could drop this car into the 12's as many have done so with much less power and these two items.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:30 pm 
Wizard

When you can't sleep, you just can't sleep...

I added a few tidbits to increase the flow rate of the system for added power without the need to use an extra set of pulsoids or convert to a 5mm outlet and needing to buy the large jets. The limit is still the single 5mm supply pipe to the Pulsoid. But once the second bottle and line are installed, that limit will be very close to that of the Pulsoid itself. I did twirl around with a direct port idea for a bit, except that the propane fuel will not drop out of the spray and manifold blow ups can be avoided. Additionally, the progressive control will also avoid such problems.

I did this all last night, but I did not like it because the lines to the injectors were just too long and messy for me. It looked way too rushed and long pipes have disadvantages.

Attachment:
splitBefore.jpg
splitBefore.jpg [ 222.1 KiB | Viewed 28389 times ]

Attachment:
splitBeforeTB.jpg
splitBeforeTB.jpg [ 181.73 KiB | Viewed 28389 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:35 pm 
Wizard

The revised version is less clunky and works the same or better with shorter pipe routes. The engine bay has a lot of gobbledee gook that made it a bit of a pain to fit everything, however I like the way it came out this time.

I also found a leak that I never noticed before and I took care of it, so it was a good thing that I did this job!

:cheers: :albino:

Attachment:
newSplit.jpg
newSplit.jpg [ 238.06 KiB | Viewed 28389 times ]

Attachment:
newSplitTB.jpg
newSplitTB.jpg [ 238.13 KiB | Viewed 28389 times ]

Attachment:
newSplitCloseLeak.jpg
newSplitCloseLeak.jpg [ 235.12 KiB | Viewed 28389 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:18 pm 
Learner

Nice looking setup.

I may have missed it in one of your previous posts. With the 125 hit on propane what jet are you using on the fuel side and what is your fuel pressure?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:17 pm 
Wizard

I use a 3.2:1 N:F jet ratio for propane to start with as its a safe rich mixture, then I test and size down the fuel to get closer to optimum (although I do stay a bit on the richer side for a street car). The engine determines the optimum ratio it likes. For my car, I start with a 75 fuel jet and it was right in the safe range, I stepped down to a 70 for a bit more peak power where this engine lacks somewhat.

Fuel pressure depends on the temperature of the fuel cylinder, since both the nitrous and the propane live in the same environment, they usually match each other in regards to the needed flow rates. Though I will say that the pressure for the propane does not change all that much with different temps to change the flow In large amounts. If the temps are radically out of the norm for your climate, I'd recheck the N:F ratio before whackin the juice. My normal range for my climate is between 160-200 psi with a 180 psi average.

As a routine, I retest my jet ratios before floggin the nitrous.

I'll also add that it's like havin a dry system with wet system characteristics without the fuel dropout problems or dickin around with injector timings and duty percentages. I've sprayed this combo on all engine types including turbo and supercharged engines going through the inlets and through to the charge coolers with no problems. I would only recommend doing so with relatively small hits through charge coolers, however.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:27 am 
Wizard

https://youtu.be/1a4A2ohIIjo