NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Project G-O-D: The Goped of Doom!!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:38 am 
Wizard

Fellow students of NOS-Wizardry, are you a person who thinks nitrous is only for large engines such as cars, trucks, and motorcyles? Think again!

Enter Project G-O-D, the Goped of DOOOOOOOM!!!

The following is a project that was just a crazy idea that came to my head after seeing some videos containing footage of really crappy, unsafe, and unreliable nitrous systems on small engines. So I decided to do the same with a REAL nitrous system consisting of a WON SFBK2 kit ( located here ), which adds both nitrous oxide AND a fuel source to the engine, which is the only RIGHT way to do it. Other kits only run DRY systems meaning that the user has to run the carburetor excessively rich, which brings down performance off nitrous considerably AND limits the total amount of power deliverable. With the SFBK, I can add as much as 50bhp! That's almost 50 times the output of this engine!

Here we go:

Here is the Goped Sport Model being mocked up with the kit. The engine is a 23cc Zenoah Komatsu G23LH: 1.2 Bhp. This engine is perfect for initial testing because it has a low compression ratio and conservative spark timing. This engine really is Mr.Reliable as their durability has been known to last over 20 years! These scooters came out with these when I was a kid about that amount of time.
Attachment:
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg [ 303.38 KiB | Viewed 42161 times ]

The scooter is driven directly by the crankshaft with an interchangeable drive spindle: making direct contact to the hard-rubber tire.
Attachment:
IMG_1430.jpg
IMG_1430.jpg [ 188.12 KiB | Viewed 42161 times ]

Here is the SFBK2 mocked-up on the T-bar. Note that I'm using a Butane liquid gas cannister for camping stoves and they can be purchased for cheap at big outdoor sports depots. I couldn't find these near me for some reason, but eBay was the answer to that problem. The other problem is that unlike outside the U.S., these cannisters are unthreaded and require an adapter to work with the pulsoid. Luckily, the Wizard was able to located these on eBay for me and they were dirt cheap! Additionally, they are quick-turn (1/4) attaching, which means I can change a can out in no time and they self seal so there is no danger of spraying flammable gas all over the place! This kit is awesome already! :yes: :cheers:
Attachment:
IMG_1444.jpg
IMG_1444.jpg [ 480.25 KiB | Viewed 42161 times ]

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Project G-O-D: The Goped of Doom!!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:50 am 
Wizard

Here is the close up of the connections to the pulsoids. Note the adapter required for U.S. butane/propane gas cannisters:

Attachment:
IMG_1443.jpg
IMG_1443.jpg [ 453.1 KiB | Viewed 42160 times ]

Here is the bottle getting chilled just prior to servicing:

Attachment:
IMG_1448.jpg
IMG_1448.jpg [ 478.9 KiB | Viewed 42160 times ]

Since I'm a bonified 'Mrrrrrrican, I use -4AN size bottle fittings so I needed a way of servicing the bottle. Because there is no bottle valve on the SFBK, the bottle must be serviced through its pulsoid. The only way I could service the bottle was to connect it in series to my car's system! In order to service it quickly, I removed the jets from both pulsoids and applied power to both of them; the bottle filled up to its maximum very quickly. If anyone tries to do this, (WHICH I DON'T CONDONE THIS; YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!) when putting things back together, MAKE SURE YOU REINSTALL THE JETS TO THERE ORIGINAL POSITIONS; you don't want to blow an engine by delivering 250bhp worth of nitrous with 25bhp or whatever worth of fuel LOL!!! :cheers:

Attachment:
IMG_1449.jpg
IMG_1449.jpg [ 277.49 KiB | Viewed 42160 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:01 am 
Wizard

Here is the bottle with the pulsoid weight full. The bottle with pulsoid empty is 813g and 1163 full: the bottle holds 350g worth of nitrous. So I'm practically spot on! :yes:

Attachment:
IMG_1451.jpg
IMG_1451.jpg [ 422.08 KiB | Viewed 42160 times ]

Oh, and here are the lines routed into the engine intake airbox:

Attachment:
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg [ 293.22 KiB | Viewed 42160 times ]

Here is the finished trial install. I know its messy, but it's quick to remove in case I want to take it off and use it somewhere else. I'm using a lawn mower battery because my nitrous pulsoid won't open with a 9v battery as I intended. I think it's just the high nitrous pressure making the pulsoid harder to open and the voltage drop can't overcome it. I'm currently finding a better solution, but this will do for now; I can still ride it okay.

And my garage is messy as hell!! I just moved into this house so I'm still settling in with things.

Attachment:
Finished2.jpg
Finished2.jpg [ 495.73 KiB | Viewed 42160 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:09 am 
Wizard

Here's one picture that inspired me to do this project. The Wizard has his dark secrets!

Attachment:
ZenoahNitrous.jpg
ZenoahNitrous.jpg [ 87.08 KiB | Viewed 42160 times ]

Here is a link to a video of the system being tested:

Goped WON Test Video

There's more to come!!! HAPPY SPRAYING!!!

Last edited by Turbobox on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:30 am 
Wizard

Some additional notes for those who wish to duplicate this project:

1) I use a jetting that will deliver 2.5 bhp to the engine. However, the smallest jet from WON is 5 meaning the minimum amount of fuel a system can deliver is 5 bhp. The Wizard gave me jetting that is 50% excessively rich in order to deliver the 2.5 bhp needed for the initial testing of this project: that is 5 Nitrous 5 Fuel for 2.5 bhp hit, as opposed to 10 Nitrous 5 Fuel for a 5 bhp hit.

2) I want to be able to shoot a MUCH LARGER hit of nitrous eventually so I made a homemade brew of petrol with toulene to produce a mixture around 97 octane; plus or minus 1. This should allow me to run some big shots (for the size of the engine) and propel the scooter to ludicrous speed!

3) Due to the new fuel mix, the non-adjustable carburetor wasn't happy. The engine ran VERY LEAN and had no power; the solution: AN ADJUSTABLE CARB. Luckily, I had these scooters years ago and kept the carburetors and other parts. The first carb worked right away and the engine ran fine with the fuel mix after making a few adjustments.

4) If you do intend to do a static test on a 2 stroke that needs a fuel/oil mix (meaning non-oil injected), then do the test very BRIEFLY. The engine will rev up rather high during the test and a lack of lubrication can cause damage as the fuel source from this kit has no oil mixed with it! Also, consider running a richer oil ratio when using nitrous. For example, run 32:1 as opposed to 50:1 fuel/oil mixtures.

If my results are successful, I'll be using a much more powerful engine and other goodies to propel this Goped Sport to insane speeds (for a small, hard-tire scooter). It's a good thing I have health insurance!

This engine is 29cc and is rated at 3.5 bhp! With the expansion pipe, it should hover around 4 and that's without nitrous! There are a couple of things I need to do to it to prepare it for nitrous use like reducing the compression ratio and retarding the aggressive timing, but it should be a SICK RIDE! :bounce: :D :yes: :bow:

Attachments:
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg [ 261.9 KiB | Viewed 42156 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:42 pm 
Learner

This is a cool project. I've been thinking it would be cool to do a mobility scooter with a petrol engine and fit nos to it hahaha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:23 pm 
Wizard

TheBlueDragon wrote:
This is a cool project. I've been thinking it would be cool to do a mobility scooter with a petrol engine and fit nos to it hahaha

Thanks, I'm hoping to ride it soon and get some video footage, but it's been raining a lot lately. :tard:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:09 pm 
Wizard

Just to update:

Here's an email I just sent to the Wizard:

Quote:
ROFL!!!!! THE NITROUS KIT WORKED AWESOMELY ON THE SCOOT!!!

I went for a short test blast and the little engine went from little dingus to MAD MACHO! Its amazing how much louder the engine noise became.

The acceleration picked up quick, almost quick enough to pull the scoot out from under my feet! It’s a good thing I was prepared for that scenario! The top speed was also a definite difference; once I released the button the top speed started to drop like a rock.

Once I got back, I checked the plug and it’s fine with no signs of any abnormalities. I think I’ll be getting that 10 jet for the nitrous and get a 5 hp kick; I’ll be watching out for instant wheelies for sure at that level!

Hopefully, I can get some video footage of the difference in power within the next week!

WHAT A GOOFY AND FUN RIDE!!! :omgrofl: :yes: :beatstick:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

EXCELLENT thread and can't wait to see the video.

Would you believe that some time ago, a bunch of assholes on a road going scooter forum (the type with 50+cc engines and seats, etc.), wouldn't believe that it was safe to add a WON nitrous system, to an engine of 50 + cc , so this result would have been handy back then, as it 'should' have proved what dumbass fools they are. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:31 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
EXCELLENT thread and can't wait to see the video.

Would you believe that some time ago, a bunch of assholes on a road going scooter forum (the type with 50+cc engines and seats, etc.), wouldn't believe that it was safe to add a WON nitrous system, to an engine of 50 + cc , so this result would have been handy back then, as it 'should' have proved what dumbass fools they are. ;)

LOL they don't know what they're missing!!! :omgrofl:

I have some video of me riding but it sucks because I was holding my cell phone. AND I almost ate pavement trying to keep it stable while riding, so I ended up purchasing an action cam for this purpose. It should get here within a week; Amazon is quick!

:yes:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:17 pm 
Wizard

Here's a WOT test: GOPED WOT TEST VIDEO :yes:

Here's an overview and tour of my other scooters video: GOPED SPORT TOUR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:12 am 
Site Admin

LOVE the title of Goped of Doom and your video's are great, can't wait to see a video of the Goped in action.

Have you seen this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqYNRGfflPk

I'm sure you could beat that 'record' with just the one engine. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:40 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
LOVE the title of Goped of Doom and your video's are great, can't wait to see a video of the Goped in action.

Yea I'm waiting on the action cam to mount on the scoot.

Have you seen this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqYNRGfflPk

I'm sure you could beat that 'record' with just the one engine. :yes:

LOL.I saw that one. It's easier to do high speed runs on the geared, air-tire scooters because they are far more stable and the chain drive allows for really tall gearing.

There are problems with doing this on a sport model: The gearing is limited due to the frame design and the hard-rubber tire may simply get chewed up with so much power.

So I'll have to modify the engine mount to accept spindle sizes of 1" or greater as well as get some beaded wheels to keep the tire stable on the rims.

I'll also have to get a race pole like the one used in that speed run video to lower the CG and eliminate any speed wobble.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:42 pm 
Wizard

To add:

It's a lot scarier going over 40 on a hard tire scooter, hence why I'd rather go hard tire rather than air tire. Air tire feels like it's been done too much.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Understood on all counts and rather you than me. :bow:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:30 pm 
Wizard

Another video with some REAL testing!

GOPED OF DOOM TEST RUNS!!!

:yes: :yes: :bow: :bow: :compress: :bounce: 8)

Trev, maybe this should be some sort of sticky?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:17 am 
Learner

This project is as crazy as mine hahaha so I have shared your video on my facebook page lol
www.facebook.com/pimpedwheelchair

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:39 am 
Wizard

LOL! Awesome!

Thanks for helping spread "The Word of the Wizard!"

There's going to be a lot of videos about the details of WON systems compared to other garbage out there. I'm sure to get a lot of flack for it, but the key is to not argue with anyone and stir up the bees. Just wait until they sleep, then take the honey!

BTW

I've only just scratched the surface with that vid LOL... as long as I can keep the engine lubricated and cooled, it should make great power! Then, I'll move on to the new engine that I have; that one will scream on the spray!

:yes: :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

Great job on the video and as the SFBK might be how most people start using nitrous in future, I've made this a global post now, so it will be at the top of every section. :yes:

It would be handy if you could arrange a timed test of with and without, to give the improvement an actual figure. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:03 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
Great job on the video and as the SFBK might be how most people start using nitrous in future, I've made this a global post now, so it will be at the top of every section. :yes:

It would be handy if you could arrange a timed test of with and without, to give the improvement an actual figure. ;)

I'll try to get a timed comparison; it'll be difficult to convince others without some real equipment so it eliminates video editing as a bias.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:09 pm 
Wizard

Oh Happy Day!!! Goods have arrived today!!

I have some parts to get my chain driven scooter running and BIGGER JETS for the DOOM GOPED... Now I can lean the Nitrous/Fuel mix to step up towards that 5 Bhp hit!!

So here's the game plan for the G-O-D: 2.5 hit (5N:5F) > 3.75 hit (7.5N:5F) > 5 bhp hit (10N:5F)!!!

I'll also be changing the spindles around to calculate my max speeds. To help me do this, I purchased a tachometer that will record the max rpm achieved during a run and plug that number into a special calculator for determining speed per the gearing and rpm or mph.

I may also have to begin making some exhaust system mods in order to dissipate the increased heat in the exhaust side of the cylinder. At least I've proved that a noticeable increase can be had while remaining BONE STOCK!

Attachment:
DSCF1439.JPG
DSCF1439.JPG [ 473.75 KiB | Viewed 42043 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:35 am 
Wizard

Update:

I uploaded a HOW-TO guide for changing out the fuel canisters on the SFBK with the adapter for U.S. spec'd cans.

SFBK FUEL CAN REPLACEMENT VIDEO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

Top job. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:31 am 
Wizard

Update: Just added a larger drive spindle to achieve more top speed! In my last video, I stepped up to a 3.75 bhp hit and the acceleration was crazy fast. The only downside is that I didn't achieve much more top speed (although it is a significant increase), I feel like the exhaust system, the cylinder porting, and the ignition timing are holding it back significantly, and adding more nitrous will not be as effective.

I can't wait to ride it now! :pukeleft: :D :yes: :cheers:

(Wizards of NOS) Goped Spindle Change and Engine Mount Mod

HAPPY SPRAYING!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:59 pm 
Wizard

UPDATE:

Fellow students of NOS Wizardry, here's a video that I am CONFIDENT will put a grin on your face or die laughing at the difference a WON kit makes on ANY engine and still continue living a full and healthy life! :yes:

(Wizards of NOS) Goped Sport 950 Spindle w 3.75 Nitrous Hit Speed Tests