NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: propane Q
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:07 pm 
Learner

hey
well propane is a fuel.. why is there a proformance gain when injected into an already "overfueled" engine (diesel).
When injected will it smoke more like when adding more diesel?

I dont want to drive all day with it so i thought of using the small cheap once as used to burn grass and other stuff.. the hand held things..! but they are 70%propane and 30%butane does this make a large difference?

was thinking of trying out a cheap way.. use the small ajuster nub on the burner and connect a solorid to that hose going to the airfilter.. this way i can ajust abit and still only get it when i want!?

if it does good things i would get a won pulsoid and maby an maximazer to control it..!?

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject: Re: propane Q
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:05 pm 
Wizard

As you say, it is a fuel so it will add power, as long as there is enough air to burn it in.

Smoke from a diesel might be due to a lack of air, in which case the gains will be minimal, if any. But diesel is a slow burning fuel and at high revs there comes a point where there's not enough time to burn all the diesel, again, resulting in black smoke.

Propane, on the other hand, is fast burning. It will speed up the diesel burn too, so it's a double-win situation.

Like diesel though, if there's not enough air (or more accurately, oxygen) then smoke will increase.

Butane and propance are pretty much the same except butane freezes easier so is often mixed with propane.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:28 pm 
Learner

ahh nice so no problem using a propane/butan mix.. nice to hear that it will burn faster so will peak if lack of diesel on high rpm. Is it nessesery to use an injector? or could i just put a hose into the airfilter? its a turbo diesel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:31 pm 
Learner

oh btw.. i have an EGR system on my car! but this is closed 100% on full "throtle" so if not used when the EGR is working it would be fine right? (the thing not to add 2nd fuels when having EGR.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:36 pm 
Wizard

what car have you got fraguzz, ive fitted a by-pass egr ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:36 pm 
Wizard

or should that read a egr by-pass :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:30 pm 
Learner

yah i know the bottle is not installed properly! didnt have time.. will remake my entire setup soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:13 pm 
Wizard

fraguzz wrote:
oh btw.. i have an EGR system on my car! but this is closed 100% on full "throtle" so if not used when the EGR is working it would be fine right? (the thing not to add 2nd fuels when having EGR.

If the EGR leaks, you'd smoke even more but I always advise people to block, disable or better still, remove them if at all possible, they're good for nothing and bad for breathing IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:20 pm 

Hi :)

A word of caution here....

Wait for Trev to answer.... he KNOWS if Butane/Propane will be safe or NOT...you cannot just pick a fuel at random and assume it will work....

It may be perfectly safe or it may be as safe as throwing a stick of dynamite into a fire...lol

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:35 pm 
Wizard

yah i know the bottle is not installed properly! didnt have time.. will remake my entire setup soon.

mines in that position :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:38 pm 
Learner

lol ! :o

oh here is a new clip.. fresh from the tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH3xo8LHX3s

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:42 pm 
Wizard

for a brief moment i thought it was mph ...i was about to throw my car in the mersey :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:48 pm 
Learner

teddybare wrote:
for a brief moment i thought it was mph ...i was about to throw my car in the mersey :mrgreen:

:shock: i wish.. still this car normaly does 0-62mph in 13sek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:07 pm 
Wizard

good stuff this nitrous aint it ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:58 pm 
Wizard

Brett928S2 wrote:
Hi :)

A word of caution here....

Wait for Trev to answer.... he KNOWS if Butane/Propane will be safe or NOT...you cannot just pick a fuel at random and assume it will work....

It may be perfectly safe or it may be as safe as throwing a stick of dynamite into a fire...lol

All the best Brett :)

I'm not sure what you're getting here, Brett? I thought the OP had asked about propane/butane mix because he's already researched the use of propane in a diesel. I can't see how you think it's a random choice?

As reqards safe, of course I agree, no fuel is safe and requires due care and attention and that all engines have their limits so pushing too much power (ie fuel and oxygen) through the chambers is unsafe for the engine. Of course, diesels aren't at risk from mixture ratios as petrol engines are but they do have their limits.

If that's what you mean, then yes, I've omitted to give the warnings so perhaps I can make up for that by saying...

Propane (or any other fuel in a diesel) will increase EGT's proportionately which can lead to meltdown. With the aid of water injection, this danger point can be elevated to allow even more fuel to be safely used.

Have I missed anything else?

Oh, yes. Is propane/butane safe to use on a WON kit?
Yes, but you need to use a nitrous solenoid, fitted with a different seal material and, I think, have the valve seat/lift adjusted for the lower pressures.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:13 pm 
Learner

ahh thx.
I was thinking about getting another solenoid to control the propane.. and maby an maximiser to control it with.

but would water/meth be a better solution because meth is a fuel also and its already with water... would i get a simmular kick out of this?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

fraguzz wrote:
but would water/meth be a better solution because meth is a fuel also and its already with water...
Methanol isn't supplied 'with' water, you have to add them together but once mixed you can control both using the same single Pulsoid, which I guess was the point you were making, so in that respect it would be a better option. However, as with many things in life there are pros and cons to both;
1) With water/methanol mix you need a pump and the mix is good at destroying pumps - with propane you don't need a pump and even if you did it wouldn't suffer as it would from methanol.
2) The water and methanol will be fixed at whatever ratio you decide to mix it at but if you used propane and water you could quickly and easily adjust the mix as and when you wanted, if you had a Max Extreme controlling the Pulsoids.
3) Propane is usually easier to obtain than methanol.
4) Methanol is a 'nasty' fuel to work with (highly toxic), whereas propane isn't as bad and you're also unlikely to come in to contact with it in contrast to methanol.

would i get a simmular kick out of this?
I've no test result or other information to indicate which (if either), would give the best performance results but I would expect the results to be similar.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:08 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
fraguzz wrote:
but would water/meth be a better solution because meth is a fuel also and its already with water...
Methanol isn't supplied 'with' water, you have to add them together but once mixed you can control both using the same single Pulsoid, which I guess was the point you were making, so in that respect it would be a better option. However, as with many things in life there are pros and cons to both;
1) With water/methanol mix you need a pump and the mix is good at destroying pumps - with propane you don't need a pump and even if you did it wouldn't suffer as it would from methanol.
2) The water and methanol will be fixed at whatever ratio you decide to mix it at but if you used propane and water you could quickly and easily adjust the mix as and when you wanted, if you had a Max Extreme controlling the Pulsoids.
3) Propane is usually easier to obtain than methanol.
4) Methanol is a 'nasty' fuel to work with (highly toxic), whereas propane isn't as bad and you're also unlikely to come in to contact with it in contrast to methanol.

>i was thinking of running coling fluid -21C read somewere it would work..
As yo may know im running a dry kit at the moment... and if i should control water with 1 and propane with another that would be 3 Pulsoids and as i have read your max extreme cant..

oh have just discovered that it can control pr gear.. and i could remove nos from 1gear. then i do not need to have a switch on my gear stick :-)

does it matter if the propane is a 70 / 30% mix with butane.?

would i get a simmular kick out of this?
I've no test result or other information to indicate which (if either), would give the best performance results but I would expect the results to be similar.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

fraguzz wrote:
i was thinking of running coling fluid -21C read somewere it would work..
That is likely to work as it 'usually' contains a high percentage of alcohol but I'd check the ingredients and percentages before doing so and this would certainly cause you to suffer from point 2.

As yo may know im running a dry kit at the moment... and if i should control water with 1 and propane with another that would be 3 Pulsoids and as i have read your max extreme cant..
You could drive 2 of the Pulsoids on 1 channel and the 3rd on the other.

oh have just discovered that it can control pr gear.. and i could remove nos from 1gear. then i do not need to have a switch on my gear stick :-)
Yes that's correct.

does it matter if the propane is a 70 / 30% mix with butane.?
As there is very little difference between the chemical composition of the 2 I doubt it.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:16 am 
Learner

Arrgg :?:
Im unsure what to go for... on one hand i have a friend that runs both nitrous and propane on a hyundai H1.. and he is all for the propane! thinks more of that than the nitrous.. (NOS system) - then all of the american guys with there trucks..

on the other hand.. I dont se any available kits for euro diesels.. and very little info on the "small diesel engine"..

But the water meth way.. is more normal here in europe.. and propper size kits are available.

Hmmm

ptw.. Its yet another hot day and the bottle is only reading 700-800psi normaly in this heat 1000-1100psi.. posible im running low on nitrous..