NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Plastic pipe pressure testing !
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:06 pm 
F.A.O. The hard of thinking.
You'll note that this post includes the sentence;
"WARNING Flush all oil out of the pipe before using it for nitrous, there is a possibility of fire when mixing oil and an oxidising agent."
Thats because this test was done using hydraulic test equipment and in the main we use whats going to be used in the pipe as the testing medium,
if you didn't know already your nitrous bottle was tested using WATER. Look up "hydrostatic testing" sometime. :beatstick:
Compressed air ? Well i could have used air, I could have used Nitrogen even easier since it's a ready supply of 3000psi pressure ;)
(Typical storage pressure in an industrial nitrogen bottle)

Yes i used ceramic heaters for the test, my test tank is rated for hot testing but i don't have the immersion heaters, big deal.
Did I use a suitable heat gained in exactly the way it's found in an engine bay ?
Lets see now, radiant and convected heat.
Yep.
Knock it all you want, we're laughing AT you, not with you.

Right, seeing as some companies seem to think anti-advertising is good marketing and after seeing some right crap being posted I had one of my rare brainwaves. Take some to work and bloody well test the stuff !

Ok, I'll admit i'm ever so slightly biased, I can hardly hide that fact can I ?
BUT
I am independant
Now theres a FACT you can try arguing, or should i say insinuating ?
I am not paid by the "Wizards of NOS" but quite how i can demonstrate my impartiality during this test i don't know.
I suppose if it had failed and i'd posted the results.....................
But it didn't (no supprise there then)

Ok, I used the automotive fuel pipe safety factor standards (BSAU108/2)
of a 3-1 burst pressure and 90 degree C temperature.
(Well if its good enough for the car manufacturers :wink: )
and used my old friend............................
My 10,000 psi pressure pump and "burst tank"
(BTW the PLASTIC hose that connects the two has a 40,000 psi burst rating :shock: )
Put it this way, I can burst almost ANY pipe if i want to. :twisted:

Right, well i thought a 1000 psi would be a nice round number for a working pressure.
safety factor of 3 gives us 3000 psi theoretical burst pressure
(actually the burst pressure of the bottle, standard burst discs designed to save the bottle are rated at 2755 psi So think of it as I'm trying to burst the bottle, not the pipe)
Now I used a standard 4meter length of pipe as supplied by Wizards not just a short test section.
(I keep a 4mm length and a 5mm length with USA adaptors for demonstrating the benefits to disbelievers, always works !)

First I had to steal a couple of ceramic heaters from the canteen, pipes aren't usually tested under high temp conditions, chuck the pipe in the test tank, connect it up.
All tests at 90 degrees C (or near enough, i had to keep switching it on and off because the thermostat didn't agree this was sensible :roll: )

4mm x 4meter pipe. 2 hours at 3000 psi PASSED
5mm x 4meter pipe. 2 hours at 3000 psi PASSED
So, thats both sizes, survived the burst pressure of the bottle, for 2 hours under engine bay heat, just in case you're a bit hard of thinking.

And just for a laugh (I'm a sicko)
Standard 4mm low pressure pipe as used between solenoid and injector.
300 psi crossed fingers
500 psi shut eyes
750 psi check its still connected
1000 psi WTF ?????
1250 psi Eh ?
AT BLOODY LAST ! 1480 psi !!!!!!
Not bad considering even mad Americans don't pressurise it above 1050psi

Now this is the crappy standard pipe people keep going on about !
Remember, in a Wizards kit it doesn't even see pressure because the jets are before it, how the hell the Americans are bursting this stuff even with their higher injector pressures i don't know, they must be using some right cheapy crap.

So there you go, an INDEPENDANT (even if I am biased) pressure test of Wizards high pressure delivery pipe.
Do it yourself ! Find a hydraulics company and ask them to pressure test a piece, take the adaptors too because you don't usually adapt or test nylon pipe like this, the cheap crappy stuff is usually used below 150 psi so doesn't need testing.

WARNING Flush all oil out of the pipe before using it for nitrous, there is a possibility of fire when mixing oil and an oxidising agent.

To the DIPSTICKS posting such rubbish;
Don't make it so damn easy too discredit the crap you come out with, my copy of BS EN 849:1997 is on order because the pages i read didn't specifically say brass, they said SUITABLE MATERIAL TO BS849:1997 with regard to all of the various tests for valve material.
See you soon guys ! :twisted:

(I'm allowed to rise to the bait, i'm not a responsible nitrous system manufacturer.)

Last edited by Loopy on Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Loopy,

Is there no end to your efforts to set the nitrous world straight.

By the way I've got a secret for you, even our latest "standard" pipe isn't standard, we have that made to our specs as well and you've just proved it's as good as they say it is.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

Just realised that should prove you're independent as you weren't aware of the above information. ;-)
Only my staff knew the pipe spec but now anyone reading this will as well (it's OK it's not a secret, just like many improvements we've made, we haven't had time to tell everyone). ;-)

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:29 pm 
Well that explains why it didn't go at between 200 and 400 psi like i expected. Thats SNEAKY !
What the HELL do you want 1480 psi LOW PRESSURE pipe for ???????
It isn't even under pressure ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

You should know the answer to that by now, my obsession with making my system THE BEST!!!! :D :D

As you know the standard stuff will do the job but with every other part of my system being so much better than standard, I didn't want to let any of those "experts" out there, have a single part of their kit that they could claim (genuinely - although that won't stop them making FALSE claims), as being as good as mine. :D :D :D

We're currently working on a better fuse!!!

I bet you think that's anal but I'm not going to give anyone a genuine reason to complain about any part of my system. LOL

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Last edited by Noswizard on Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:46 pm 
This is funny !
This is how some monkey describes this post;
Quote:
hyudraulic pipefitter trying to explain H&S

H&S means "Health and safety" or how it should be written;
HSE = Health and Safety Executive

But since this is regarding "British standards" and not HSE it could explain why they make such fecking dumb statements, it isn't outright lies, it's fecking stupidity :omgrofl:

BTW Dumbasses, it's "Hydraulic pipe fitter" before you go upsetting them.
I'm classed as an "Hydraulic engineer" but since we now have "domestic engineers" and "sanitation engineers" it's rather meaningless.
Just refer to me as "that bastard", I won't mind.

I don't have to be responsible and adult so don't wind me up with your BS (thats Bullshit, not British standards) and i won't go gunning for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

Would you be referring to some of those thieving spies that seem to spend their whole lives watching what goes off here because there's so little (if any) action going on in their home camp???

Sounds serious stupidity to take on someone like yourself, who is independent and so obviously knowledgeable on your subject, especially when you've posted so many extremely informative threads on a number of subjects on here.
Could they be jealous that you spend so much time here???
I certainly feel proud to have you participate here to the extent that you do and I'm sure I'd be jealous if we lost you to another board but then I'm honest, so don't go expecting anyone like them to own up to such feelings. ;-)

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:02 am 
They could have just taken a sample, got it tested and posted the results.
:redface: Oh dear, no that wouldn't have worked would it ? :lol:
Instead they witter on about data sheets for the stuff.
FECK OFF !
If you needed data sheets they'd be available just like HSE data sheets
or COSHH sheets
(Is that where they get confused :omgrofl: well they do seem to confuse the legal issues)

Go and ask Pirelli for the datasheet on their tyre compound :rolleyes:

Its bad enough there's so much crap on the net about nitrous without "one hit wonders" prattling on about a subject they know less than nothing about, nitrous may not be fully understood by many people,
BUT HYDRAULICS IS WELL UNDERSTOOD BY MANY
(usually even by the hard of thinking :beatstick: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:10 pm 
Oh I REALLY have to stop watching.
I just hope he doesn't go upsetting too many plant mechanics, some of them buggers are big AND ugly, they'd show him how technical pipe fitting is alright ;)

BTW it was pressurised with OIL not air you fecking muppets, just like how they test pressure vessels with WATER and not air.
Jesus you guys really don't know anything about what you're involved in do you ?
Quote:
what does hydraulics have to do with refrigerants?"

Hmmm, well let me see........
Ah yes ! The transfer of liquids under pressure.
Yes that means cryo and hyd engineers did the same lessons, the difference being the cryo engineers use tables with different numbers get colder, stay cleaner and are better on chemical symbols.
(Don't confuse him, he's struggling as it is)

14 years using this "rubbish" plastic pipe without problem tells me you're talking out of your ass.
Actually knowing what i'm talking about tells me you're just plain desperate.
(Oh and your being completely ripped off by your supplier or you're lying again, £15 for 50 metres ? I buy the crap stuff for;
400psi 30 metre for £5.62
580psi 30 metre for £7.92or
650psi 30 metre for £5.22
NONE of my suppliers keep 50 metre coils in stock, 100's yes, but 50's no.

Keep trying, this batch has the pressures marked on it so times running out for this sorry discussion to even happen.
(Normally i hate stuff like this, but these muppets are making it fun by digging their hole just a little deeper each time)
VAT registered yet boys ? :omgrofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Loopy,

Do yourself a favour - stay away from the brain dead elements wherever you find them, like I do. ;-)

Anyone who can't see the extent of your knowledge and who criticise your posts, just show the extent of their own stupidity!!!

The mark of a genuinely intelligent person is being able to recognise another intelligent person. Only a fool criticises someone else who is obviously intelligent, it's like saying the guy who beat you down the 1/4 was a crap driver, so what does that make you????

Then there's the fact that even if you prove your point 100%, some fools will never accept it no matter what - end of story - the world is full of people with such mental problems and I suppose we should feel sorry for such people - should we give it a try???

Maybe not!!! LOL LOL

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:24 am 
Oops, look what i just fell over (now you'd have thought they'd know of this place)
http://www.aeroconsystems.com/plumbing/tubing.htm

High Pressure Nylon Tubing

Nylon Tubing suitable for use in the Urbanski-Colburn Start Valve arrangement. This is the same method used by the RATTWorks and Propulsion Polymers hybrids. (ROCKETS)

OD ID Wall WP BP BR
1/8 .073 .026 625 2500 3/8 $22.00

So someones making better stuff than muppet and co know about, well what a surprise :P
Now maybe if you ordered a few miles and paid for the dies you could have your own pipe made for you too !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:15 am 
Site Admin

Phew Loopy, I thought you'd found my pipe supplier and told the rest of the world but although that stuff is pretty good, it's still crap compared with mine!!! LOL

Just for your information I'm still looking for even better nylon pipe so we can use it in our export kits, and high power kits, so if anyone finds such a pipe manufacturer please PM me. Please don't put it on the board, I like the fact that we're the only company knowledgeable enough to use nylon pipe. If any of the spying thieves out there get to know where it comes from, no doubt they'll add that to the list of ideas that they've already stolen.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:57 am 

You mean how you get compared to NOS nylon lines that I hear blow apart regulary between the solenoids and injectors? Having your own identity is very hard when these other guys make cheap imitations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:10 am 
Site Admin

What they don't seem to realise is that by jetting at the Fogger, they are subjecting the cheap crap nylon pipe they use to almost full bottle pressure (that it's not designed to cope with).

We on the other hand jet at the solenoid and use very high quality pipe so not only is it working at a much lower pressure but it's also much better pipe than is needed for the job.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:12 pm 
:lol: Trying not to use your supplier was the hard part, no-one else is using the stuff but this was at least close enough to blow his "only braided can handle the pressure" out of the water.
2500 psi BP was close enough.
Now you would have thought he'd have known better since they supply the parts for building DIY rockets, maybe he thinks he's a pioneer :omgrofl: when he's actually a hobbiest compared to the Americans.

Do you reckon he's realised a couple of my wife's mates from her navy days run a cryo-cutting buisiness down south yet ?
Maybe he thought a hydraulics engineer with an unhealthy interest in nitrous wouldn't have done quite a bit of cryo studying in 14 years ?

I know this is stupid, I know it's childish and I know I really shouldn't play with them,
But my god, it's immensely good for relaxation.
Now I know why you do it every now and again :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

The answer is no, as the kind of people you're talking about don't "think" they just act in a senseless manner which shows how little they know about anything.

Yes it's great fun toying with people who speak without engaging their brains first (or in this case don't have much in the way of brains to engage). LOL

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:32 pm 
Learner

Ummm, being pedantic here but HSE is imply an independent enforcement body, though they may be release approved codes of practice and various other documentation (alos known as health and safety ;) )

Loopy, where are they? Go on, post a link, you know you wanna! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:53 pm 
So where can i find a guidance note on pressure pipe ?
The point being this isn't a health and safety topic even if it has health and safety implications, Its a standards topic. A standard only becomes a health and safety issue when it's in contravention of an approved code of practice and guidance in the work place.
Sounds good when you try to sound proffesional to Joe public though doesn't it ?

Just like posting malicious lies under the thin veneer of "I heard, is it true"
Legally its hard to prove they're lying and being intentionally libelous.
If it doesn't stop, a few trolls i know might even start doing it for a little entertainment.

Link ? Try www.part-time-nitrous-wholesalers@grabbit&run.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:53 pm 
The next time someone tries slagging off Hydraulic "pipe fitters" think of this;
The photograph below is a graphic example of the need for awareness of the hazards of working with hydraulic oil, particularly when under pressure. Don't even bother scrolling down if your stomach turns easily. Use this photograph to get your employer or company safety training officer to initiate training in the safe use of hydraulics and the precautions that must be taken, not only in the aircraft industry, but in general maintenance, such as on forklifts, nifty-lifters, hi-abs, and any application involving hydraulic rams or valves, particularly if welding is involved.

For every 1 degree in heat that you apply to trapped hydraulic oil, the pressure rises 50- to 60-pounds-per-square-inch.
Quote:
This photo was taken about 7 days after the accident and after 3 operations under general
anesthetic and a couple to undo the stitches and have a prod about in the ward-type
operations.

The oil was OM 15 an aircraft mineral hydraulic oil, in a pressure test rig. The rig was holding pressure at 6000 PSI when a pipe spilt and a fine jet of oil hit the palm of my hand. It just felt like being punched in the palm hard. Half an hour later I was in hospital, 2 hours later the pain
killers were going in intravenously, 5 hours later I was under general anaesthetic, having the first of 5 major operations on the hand.

You don't have to be in the industry long before you know someone this happened to.
Taken from http://www.dennismac.co.uk/hands/hydra/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:08 pm 

A little too technical for me... I know one thing though, my WON line has never let me down, even after so many re-fills and loosening and tightening of the nut and washer at the bottle where the line feeds into and is crimped tight again every time the bottle is refilled and re-fitted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:13 pm 
Learner

hydraulics always worry me! especially when up these mobile harbour cranes at work..
everything on them is hydraulic.. even the drive train.

whenever im even just walking near the black hydraulic pipes i cant help thinking that ones going to burst!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:26 pm 

Very true Guy! You can very easily be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:19 pm 
Learner

one bloke at work released a valve.. the wrong one - hydraulic fluid EVERY where and the jib just fell! couldnt do anything to stop it just had to watch it go crashing to the ground. luckily no ships or lorries were in its path!

cost the company a fair few ££ though..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:20 pm 
Learner

back to the pipe topic...

ive never had a problem with pipe bursting but ive had ALOT of black pipe coming out of the olives..
even after it had been checked by ant it did it again

but so far with the 5mm line no problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

We had a suspect batch a long way back of the black 4 mm pipe but our latest 5 mm pipe is made to my specific requirements and now has our name and pressure rating on it to make sure nobody else tries to make false claims about it.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next