NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Car went BANG on the rollers with the nitrous
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:18 pm 
Learner

Went to a rolling road day with a local club. was out testing the nitrous the day befor and had it running sweet. I was running a 100bhp shot with 1 degree retard on the ignition with 200 nos jet and 70 fuel.

Any way did one run without nitrous on the rollers and was real happy with the results making 155.4bhp and 126 torque.

so the guy was going to do the run with the nitrous now so i changed the ecu mapped for the pre saved nitrous map. He asked me if there was anything he had to do to run the nitrous, so i said yes the nitrous will cut in at full throttle so can you bring revs up to at least 3500rpm and then full throttle so the nitrous will come in. he siad that will be fine.
anyway he jumped in the car and stuck his foot flat to the floor in 4th gear at 1000rpm so it injected 100hp of nitrous at a real low rpm and that is not good, the car started knocking n smoke and I have lost compression on number 3 cylinder i rekon its melted the rings as the crank is pressurising blowing the oil straight out the breather.

I said to the guy wtf was that you did, he said the nitrous come in real agresive. i said yes coz you hit WOT to early, he replied ohh i thought you said the nitrous will come in automatical at 3500rpm. It was a comunication error lol as the fans in the place where real load plus he had his ear defender on. so that lack of comunication has now cost me my engine.

anyway got a new engine the same day. and is ready to come out tomoz so be back on the road in no time

If any1 would like to now with the 100hp shot i made 186 torque at just under 2000rpm which is pretty

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject: Re: Car went BANG on the rollers with the nitrous
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:05 am 

Sam_Ax wrote:
Went to a rolling road day with a local club. was out testing the nitrous the day befor and had it running sweet. I was running a 100bhp shot with 1 degree retard on the ignition with 200 nos jet and 70 fuel.

Any way did one run without nitrous on the rollers and was real happy with the results making 155.4bhp and 126 torque.

so the guy was going to do the run with the nitrous now so i changed the ecu mapped for the pre saved nitrous map. He asked me if there was anything he had to do to run the nitrous, so i said yes the nitrous will cut in at full throttle so can you bring revs up to at least 3500rpm and then full throttle so the nitrous will come in. he siad that will be fine.
anyway he jumped in the car and stuck his foot flat to the floor in 4th gear at 1000rpm so it injected 100hp of nitrous at a real low rpm and that is not good, the car started knocking n smoke and I have lost compression on number 3 cylinder i rekon its melted the rings as the crank is pressurising blowing the oil straight out the breather.

I said to the guy wtf was that you did, he said the nitrous come in real agresive. i said yes coz you hit WOT to early, he replied ohh i thought you said the nitrous will come in automatical at 3500rpm. It was a comunication error lol as the fans in the place where real load plus he had his ear defender on. so that lack of comunication has now cost me my engine.

anyway got a new engine the same day. and is ready to come out tomoz so be back on the road in no time

If any1 would like to now with the 100hp shot i made 186 torque at just under 2000rpm which is pretty

Hi SAM :)

Hard luck mate, I didnt sell you that Nitrous for that :(

At least you understand what happened ...i.e full load at zero revs plus Nitrous is not a good idea...

Its why Trev mentions this so much, to warn against it...

Dont you have a Maxx yet ???

It would have prevented it , with The Window switches (rev limit switches)

Its one of the reasons , I dont run mine on a dyno anymore....

Unless the Operator UNDERSTANDS Nitrous completely, this sort of thing often happens unfortunately :(

Good luck with the new engine....and get a Maxx... I am sure Trev will do you a deal on a recon unit if you ask him ...

All the best Brett :)

P.S. It would be interesting if you posted up the dyno chart...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:31 am 
Learner

Ya i do want a maxx extrem now but so exspensive. Iv seen a msd rpm window switch on ebay for 144pounds. But id like the max how much are the second hand ones from trev as they very raley come up on ebay

Ill tri and get the charts up soon when got time

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:26 pm 
Wizard

Thats very poor on the part of the dyno operator Sam...

I mostly sit in the car on my dyno pulls, or im leaning in the drivers window making sure all is well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:14 pm 
Learner

Engine was taken out today and stripped down. I thought id seen more visable damage but pistons are all there plugs ant melted it just seems to be the piston rings on cylinder 2 and low compression on 1 aswell. Havnt removed the pitons yet as if got a replacment block with pistons. I know its the rings as if i pour water in the bores with the head n sump off it just pisses out the bottom of cylinder 2. What cause the piston rings to go have there melt with heat or phisicaly broken.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:57 pm 
Learner

To be fair you`re playing with fire without a window switch in the first place, plus no secondary button that the dyno operator could have pushed at 3500rpm?..

For me I`ve got a Max Extreme with lower and upper RPM limit etc, and the final say is the button on the steering wheel..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:04 pm 
Learner

I used a FJO 2 stage mini controller.
Cheap and good for 4 pulsoids.
Can set the second stage for a different ramp and just switch the cennector.
But it is only a progressive with window switch and you need a laptop to set it up or to make changes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:24 pm 
Learner

hi sam, what engine are you running in your ax? I`ve had a few ax`s in the past, and used to be on axoc regular.
wish I still had one as they are nimble little motors, shame they fall apart too often though. I started building a ITB`d vtr running on megasquirt but had problems with the engine and couldn't be bothered with it in the end..
a good bunch of boys on axoc which I knew personally (bonkeye) and (rallyeax aka farmboy), not sure if they are still there as I haven't visited in a while.