NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: My 2008 FN2 ctr at the Streetlegaldrags Drachten 2011 season
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:59 pm 
Learner

So I entered my car at the streetlegal drags in Drachten Holland Friday the 24 th.
Had high hopes on improving my times. Last year my best run was a paltry 14.45 E.T. although I was half asleep back then from the painkillers I had taken because of my backinjury and my nitrous sytem wasn`t dialed in yet.

Unfortunately the weather was far from perfect. Now and then some rainclouds came over, halting the event momentarily and limiting the amount of runs I could make.
On top of that there had been a professonal dragrace from the Dutch Explosion drag organisation one weekend prior to our event, so the track was covered with a layer of oil, sand and dirt mixed with water to annihilate traction severly.

I made about 8 runs, some in the wet, others on a partly moist track.

My first run:
View My Video

14.10 seconds E.T at 167 km/h
semi slick 2.2 bar tyre pressure
launch control 3900 rpm
30% ramp up 6.5 second on minimax
200N/70F at 950 psi
window switch at 3000-7900 rpm

Lousy reaction time (0.881 sec) and I shifted a bit too early causing wheelspin in 2nd gear which cost me time.

This was my second run and my best:
View My Video

13.90 seconds E.t. at 164 km/h tyres set at 2.0 bar
launch control set at 3900 rpm
30% ramp up at 8.5 seconds on minimax
200N/70F jetting at 950 psi
window switch set at 3000-7900 rpm

Massive wheelspin in 1st and 2nd gear, only in 3rd gear can I put the power down, but then the car goes like the clappers. I even have to shift into 5th gear right before the finish or the car will bounce upon the rev limiter at 8400 rpm. I might raise the limiter to 8700 rpm to stay into 4th gear.

My fifth run:
View My Video

14.34 seconds E.T. at 160 km/h partly damp track
tyres set at 1.9 bar
launch control 3900 rpm
30% at 9.9 second on minimax
150N/60F jetting at 950 psi

To do something about the wheelspin in 1st and 2nd gear I decided to lower the nitrous charge to a 75 bhp shot but since I optimised the pulsoids for the 100 bhp shot I think I messed up the PWM signals because the engine felt a bit lazy and I didn`t get rid of the wheelspin. Too much torque down low. I also set the minimax at a 9.9 second ramp up time but that also didn`t help.

My 8th and last run:
View My Video

19.66 second E.T. at 120 km/h
tyres 1.9 bar
launch control 3900 rpm
200N/70F jetting at 900 psi
window switch 3000-7900 rpm

Did a few runs on a wet track but was all over the place on a nitrous charge so waited for the track to dry up. Went back to the original jetting.
By now I was so frustrated that I did all burnouts way past the staging sensor beams in an effort to make the tyres bite sufficiently for a better launch.
This was enough to piss off Kenneth the starting official eventually as I unsettled the electronic christmas tree logic sequence each time.
He came at me, opened my door; "one more time fella and you get a red code"! Whatever that may be lol.
I couldn`t be bothered as I noticed my car started to stutter down the straight. My bottle was empty, so was finished for the day.

So all in all had a good day considering the circumstances. Bettered my personal time to 13.9 sec E.T. but I feel there is still much more left in it.
The problem is now that I now have too much torque down low causing me massive wheelspin in 1st and 2nd.
I also need to do something about the wheelhop on launch. Perhaps some traction bars will alleviate this problem.
I`m open to all ears if anyone has a few good tips and tricks on how to improve my times further.

Cheers,

Paul.

Diy short ram intake, TBS, throttle coolant block off, heat shield gasket, AAS race manifold, reinforced torque rods, Exedy stage 1 clutch, short shifter,semi slicks, hondata flashpro.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: My 2008 FN2 ctr at the Streetlegaldrags Drachten 2011 season
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:25 pm 
Learner

culasse wrote:
So I entered my car at the streetlegal drags in Drachten Holland Friday the 24 th.
Had high hopes on improving my times. Last year my best run was a paltry 14.45 E.T. although I was half asleep back then from the painkillers I had taken because of my backinjury and my nitrous sytem wasn`t dialed in yet.

Unfortunately the weather was far from perfect. Now and then some rainclouds came over, halting the event momentarily and limiting the amount of runs I could make.
On top of that there had been a professonal dragrace from the Dutch Explosion drag organisation one weekend prior to our event, so the track was covered with a layer of oil, sand and dirt mixed with water to annihilate traction severly.

I made about 8 runs, some in the wet, others on a partly moist track.

My first run:
View My Video

14.10 seconds E.T at 167 km/h
semi slick 2.2 bar tyre pressure
launch control 3900 rpm
30% ramp up 6.5 second on minimax
200N/70F at 950 psi

Lousy reaction time (0.881 sec) and I shifted a bit too early causing wheelspin in 2nd gear which cost me time.

This was my second run and my best:
View My Video

13.90 seconds E.t. at 164 km/h tyres set at 2.0 bar
launch control set at 3900 rpm
30% ramp up at 8.5 seconds on minimax
200N/70F jetting at 950 psi
window switch set at 3000-7900 rpm

Massive wheelspin in 1st and 2nd gear, only in 3rd gear can I put the power down, but then the car goes like the clappers. I even have to shift into 5th gear right before the finish or the car will bounce upon the rev limiter at 8400 rpm. I might raise the limiter to 8700 rpm to stay into 4th gear.

My fifth run:
View My Video

14.34 seconds E.T. at 160 km/h partly damp track
tyres set at 1.9 bar
launch control 3900 rpm
150N/60F jetting at 950 psi

To do something about the wheelspin in 1st and 2nd gear I decided to lower the nitrous charge to a 75 bhp shot but since I optimised the pulsoids for the 100 bhp shot I think I messed up the PWM signals because the engine felt a bit lazy and I didn`t get rid of the wheelspin. Too much torque down low. I also set the minimax at a 9.9 second ramp up time but that also didn`t help.

My 8th and last run:
View My Video

19.66 second E.T. at 120 km/h
tyres 1.9 bar
launch control 3900 rpm
200N/70F jetting at 900 psi
window switch 3000-7900 rpm

Did a few runs on a wet track but was all over the place on a nitrous charge so waited for the track to dry up. Went back to the original jetting.
By now I was so frustrated that I did all burnouts way past the staging sensor beams in an effort to make the tyres bite sufficiently for a better launch.
This was enough to piss off Kenneth the starting official eventually as I unsettled the electronic christmas tree logic sequence each time.
He came at me, opened my door; "one more time fella and you get a red code"! Whatever that may be lol.
I couldn`t be bothered as I noticed my car started to stutter down the straight. My bottle was empty, so was finished for the day.

So all in all had a good day considering the circumstances. Bettered my personal time to 13.9 sec E.T. but I feel there is still much more left in it.
The problem is now that I now have too much torque down low causing me massive wheelspin in 1st and 2nd.
I also need to do something about the wheelhop on launch. Perhaps some traction bars will alleviate this problem.
I`m open to all ears if anyone has a few good tips and tricks on how to improve my times further.

Cheers,

Paul.

dont no if it helps but i always lock the rear suspension and run about 20psi at most so could try droping the preasures even more

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:29 pm 
Learner

Yes I tried that. Unfortunately my launch control bogs the engine down when I try to do a burnout with the handbrake on. It`s set at 3900 rpm at the moment and I can`t change it at the track. I need to do that when I get back home.
But when I raise the launch control to say 5000 rpm it`s no longer of use on the track with nitrous, uncontrollable wheelspin.

Diy short ram intake, TBS, throttle coolant block off, heat shield gasket, AAS race manifold, reinforced torque rods, Exedy stage 1 clutch, short shifter,semi slicks, hondata flashpro.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

If you can manage the following you'll run much quicker;

1) Launch in 2nd gear

2) Don't ride the clutch too much but try to avoid bogging the engine badly

3) Use the nitrous to achieve optimum launch acceleration

It's a balancing act and there's a risk of bogging heavily on nitrous (which COULD cause engine damage) but if you get it right it can be worth at least half a second. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:55 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
If you can manage the following you'll run much quicker;

1) Launch in 2nd gear

I`m not going to launch in 2nd gear. I`m almost 99% sure I will knacker the clutch on the first try. It`s not designed for it.

2) Don't ride the clutch too much but try to avoid bogging the engine badly

I`m going to use the skip shift feature from the window switch which allows me to choose in which gear I want the nitrous to kick in. Haven`t used it before, so this might improve my launch. Unsure how the nitrous charge will behave when I will let it kick in on 2nd gear, it has a very short ratio and even without nitrous the engine shoots up into the rev limiter awfully quick on full acceleration.

3) Use the nitrous to achieve optimum launch acceleration

I hope I can do some programming with the hondata flashpro to balance the launch control with the incoming nitrous charge as low as possible in the rev range without bogging the engine, but as you say I`m not feeling confident about it and I shall take baby steps to explore this option.

It's a balancing act and there's a risk of bogging heavily on nitrous (which COULD cause engine damage) but if you get it right it can be worth at least half a second. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

culasse wrote:
I`m not going to launch in 2nd gear. I`m almost 99% sure I will knacker the clutch on the first try. It`s not designed for it.
They never are but done correctly it's actually BETTER for your clutch.

I`m going to use the skip shift feature from the window switch which allows me to choose in which gear I want the nitrous to kick in. Haven`t used it before, so this might improve my launch. Unsure how the nitrous charge will behave when I will let it kick in on 2nd gear, it has a very short ratio and even without nitrous the engine shoots up into the rev limiter awfully quick on full acceleration.
It shouldn't be unmanageable if you set a low start percentage and long build time. BTW did you have the reset option on or off?

I hope I can do some programming with the hondata flashpro to balance the launch control with the incoming nitrous charge as low as possible in the rev range without bogging the engine, but as you say I`m not feeling confident about it and I shall take baby steps to explore this option.
I wouldn't use a launch control and nitrous at the same time, as that could cause a lean burn and/or a major backfire.

Sounds like you'd be a PERFECT candidate for a REVO upgrade. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:33 pm 
Learner

My thought on reading the first post was reduce your start percentage but keep the same build up times.

As a side thought, when I was trying my new pulsoids yesterday I heard them pulsing when I first activated the nitrous but when I changed gear they didn't pulse as I had expected for each gear. Is there a setting on my Maximiser that I haven't understood that is meaning I'm getting the full hit on the subsequent gears? I'm hazarding a guess that I may have the reset function switched off and this is the cause.

If this is the case then maybe it's the same for the original poster.

EDIT: Just read my manual and yes, seems I need to set my reset to on so that it goes back to my starting % for each time I go off/on the gas. Problem is that I enjoy the ooomph it gives so need to see what difference it makes coming in at a smaller hit each gear now...lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:16 am 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
culasse wrote:
They never are but done correctly it's actually BETTER for your clutch.

It shouldn't be unmanageable if you set a low start percentage and long build time. BTW did you have the reset option on or off?
My reset option is off and I always use the lowest start percentage.

I wouldn't use a launch control and nitrous at the same time, as that could cause a lean burn and/or a major backfire.

[color=#80FF00]Hadn`t thought about that but thanks for the tip.

Sounds like you'd be a PERFECT candidate for a REVO upgrade. ;) [/color]

I`m tempted by the REVO but first I want to see if I can get my car to run well with my existing system. I also tinkered with the pulsoid optimisation and it`s running very efficient now, it`s just a matter of solving my traction problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:35 am 
Site Admin

culasse wrote:
it`s just a matter of solving my traction problems.[/color]

That's why the REVO would be so much better, because you can start from ONE PERCENT (rather than 30% with the Minimax/Pulsoids) and instead of the car reacting to an INSTANT but 30% duration of 100% it ACTUALLY GETS ONE PERCENT and reacts accordingly!!!! :idea: :twisted:

If you can't manage to take the REVO route yet, a step in the right direction would be the NEW Max Extreme, as not only does it allow a start power of just 20% (as all existing Max units have done) but it also has a NEW feature, that will enable the Pulsoids to work at start power levels of 10% or less. Whilst this is not as good as a REVO it's is the next best thing. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:49 am 
Learner

culasse wrote:
Noswizard wrote:
culasse wrote:
My reset option is off and I always use the lowest start percentage.

As per my post above, maybe you should switch the reset ON, as after the first gear change (on/off activation of the nitrous) the controller see's it then reactivates at whatever % the system was at when you came off the throttle to change gear. Therefore if you got to 100% in 1st gear, as soon as you change to 2nd it will be coming in at 100%. If you put reset to ON then it would (in your case) go back to 30% again. This can also be altered as you can add to or subtract the next gear start % after the first activation which in essence means you can 'dial out' the wheelspin in the lower gears by starting low then add more initial gas for each subsequent gear.

I'm unsure if this is the case/possible for the minimax as I'm basing the above on my Maximiser reset options so a Max Extreme is (as Trevor says) your next step to give you a lot more controllability. :yes:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:18 am 
Learner

Yes, I tried that once but the wheels still spun in 1st gear, changing into 2nd gear the car felt lazy and since this is an extremely shot gear I immediately have to shift into 3 rd and then it seems the car has to start all over again. I recorded lousy times with the reset on so I won`t do that again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:24 am 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
culasse wrote:
it`s just a matter of solving my traction problems.[/color]

That's why the REVO would be so much better, because you can start from ONE PERCENT (rather than 30% with the Minimax/Pulsoids) and instead of the car reacting to an INSTANT but 30% duration of 100% it ACTUALLY GETS ONE PERCENT and reacts accordingly!!!! :idea: :twisted:

If you can't manage to take the REVO route yet, a step in the right direction would be the NEW Max Extreme, as not only does it allow a start power of just 20% (as all existing Max units have done) but it also has a NEW feature, that will enable the Pulsoids to work at start power levels of 10% or less. Whilst this is not as good as a REVO it's is the next best thing. ;)

If I decide to upgrade then it will undoubtedly be the REVO as it seems to have all the features that I need for maximum control.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:08 pm 
Wizard

i have the opposite, using 100hp of nitrous, basically no jet in the X10 (i have a diesel by the way) using a minimax 50% power start, traction control turned off.. i get no wheelspin wotsoever 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:15 pm 
Learner

That`s the big advantage of rearwheel drive Ted. My front tyres are fighting for grip and if I overcook it at the launch I get lots of wheelhop.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:31 pm 
Wizard

ahh yes paul i forgot you have front wheel drive,funny enough im due for two new tyres on the rear, there just on the legal limit so im doing well for grip...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:37 pm 
Learner

The technical scrutineers were really sharp on Tyres last Friday now you mention it. I heard some people didn`t make it to the race because of their worn tyres. There should be a minimum of 1.6 mm tread depth on the tyres this year in our streetlegal series cars, otherwise you will fall through.

There was a rather serious accident last year during a streetlegal dragevent due to a blown tyre so I think the officials were forced to raise safety levels.
Gone are the days were I saw bulges in the sidewalls of the tyres on some cars.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

Using the 'reset' ON option on a Minimax certainly won't improve things but it would improve things if you had a Max Extreme.

You're right that the REVO would give you ALL the control you want/need but as a step in that direction, you could trade your Minimax in for a REVO/Max (which is capable of driving both Pulsoids & REVO's), which would provide you with MUCH MORE control over the Pulsoids and should you take the REVO route at a later date, all you'd need to do is buy the REVO's themselves, and switch the Max over to REVO use. :idea: :idea: :yes: :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:08 pm 
Learner

I was at the 4th and last round of the streetlegal drags in Drachten on sept 16th to try and better my times.
The 2nd and 3rd round were cancelled due to bad weather so this was my last chance this year to better my 13.9 sec. personal best.
The weather was good initially, cool and sunny and there was even a backwind.
The track however was a complete disaster. Tons of sand and dirt made it resemble a motocrosscircuit.
Not one of the competitors was able to improve on his times.

I made a total of 7 runs before I decided to make a hasty retreat to stay clear of fast approaching rainclouds.

Run 3

View My Video

100 bhp shot 200N/70F jets
minimax at 30%/9.9 sec ramp up
bottle pressure 950 psi
window switch activate nitrous in 2nd gear
2.2 bar tyre pressure
102 octane Aral ultimate fuel with very agressive cam angles and ignition curves on flashpro management
Rev limiter set to 8600 rpm
Launch control at 3600 rpm

Unfortunately my bottle heater striked when I started my runs. Try as I might, I couldn`t get it going again. Luckily on the drive to the track I already had the bottleheater activated to heat the bottle to 950 psi. During my runs the bottle pressure gradually lowered untill I was at 860 psi and then the car started to sound rough at high revs. There was even some bucking and sputtering at the topend as the mixture started to get excessively rich.

I was up against a guy with a chipped R32 Golf in this run. He jumped off the line with his fourwheeldrive but I quickly reeled him in at the end.
Did a 14.043 sec. E.T. at 171 km/hr with the car on the rev limiter in 4 th gear.

run 5

View My Video

Bottle pressure 910 psi
minimax at 5.5 seconds/30%

Was up against a German in a late model Beemer. Could barely hold him off.
Massive wheelspin in 2nd gear, obviously the 5.5 second ramp up time was too much for the tyres. Because of this had to shift into 5 th gear right before the finish line which annoyed me because that means a loss of time.
14.3 sec. E.T at 169 km/hr.

run 6

View My Video

Bottle pressure 830 psi
minimax back at 9.9 sec/30%

Had no chance against a fella with a 550 bhp Evo 3. By now I had to leave the starting line very carefully to bring the car up to speed but the fat nitrous mixture overpowered the tyres badly in 2nd gear. Car started to hesitate and sputtered at high revs.
I toyed with the idea of putting in a 60F jet but that would mean a 3.33:1 nitrous/fuel ratio. Not sure if that`s safe on a 100 bhp shot. So in the end I left everything as is.
15.05 sec. E.T. at 157 km/hr.

run 7

View My Video

Bottle pressure 770 psi

Decided to switch lanes as I was under the impression it was a bit quicker. Big mistake.
Had to leave the starting line like an 80 year old granny to get the car moving at all.
Massive wheelspin in 1st and 2nd gear. Could feel power drop off in 3rd gear on the rich mixture. Engine now started to run real bad at the topend.
Was up against the same Beemer guy that I was able to beat in a previous run. Not this time. Later I found out it was a diesel, oh the embarrassment.
Don`t bother with the time, I`m really ashamed.

So, that`s it for the 2011 season streetlegal drags. Was able to take 0.1 second of my previous best this year.
If it hadn`t been for the appaling traction on my home track I`m convinced I can take this car to a 13.5 sec E.T. I`ve seen others do it.

Oh well, more luck next year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:28 am 
Site Admin

culasse wrote:
Run 3
Nice job on reeling him in and taking the win but that didn't sound like mixture problems to me it sounded like you were on the rev limiter, which was either due to late shifting or wheel spin? You even mention being on the limiter in 4th at the end, so what makes you think any of it was due to mixture?

run 5
Shame about the wheel spin in 2nd because apart from that the run sounded much better than the previous one. Going by the sound of the car wheel spinning in this run, you must have been late shifting in the previous video clip.

run 6
I didn't hear any indication that the car was hesitating or sounding incorrectly at high rpm, other than when it gets to the limiter, so unless that's not apparent in the video, it sounds like your mixture was OK to me.
What you NEED is a Max Extreme so you have more control over the power delivery and then you'd have a better chance against theat EVO.
We currently have some service exchange Max Extreme V1 which have been traded in against V2, so if you can't afford a V2 maybe you can run to one of these V1s and we'd take your Minimax in PX.

run 7
You'd no chance with such bad traction, so don't blame yourself for losing that one. Again I can't detect ANY indications that the mixture is adversely affecting the engines performance but if the mixture is too rich it will show up by falling flat at high rpm in higher gears.

So, that`s it for the 2011 season streetlegal drags. Was able to take 0.1 second of my previous best this year.
If it hadn`t been for the appaling traction on my home track I`m convinced I can take this car to a 13.5 sec E.T. I`ve seen others do it.
Such a shame you had so few attempts this year and the track was so bad but even on a bad track with a Max Extreme you would run MUCH quicker than with a Minimax.

Let's hope so for everyone in general, as this year hasn't been one to be overly happy about in most regards.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:18 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
culasse wrote:
Run 3
Nice job on reeling him in and taking the win but that didn't sound like mixture problems to me it sounded like you were on the rev limiter, which was either due to late shifting or wheel spin? You even mention being on the limiter in 4th at the end, so what makes you think any of it was due to mixture?

Sorry I gave you the impression the mixture was too rich, which it wasn`t. It`s just that if I wheelspin too much I can`t pass the finishline in 4 th gear.
I have to extend the rev limiter in flashpro to 8600 rpm to be able to pass the finishline without shifting into 5th gear right across the finishline. It`s very annoying.

run 5
Shame about the wheel spin in 2nd because apart from that the run sounded much better than the previous one. Going by the sound of the car wheel spinning in this run, you must have been late shifting in the previous video clip.

The sound quality isn`t the best but the cars exhaust note was already sounding a bit flat at high revs because of the rich mixture.

run 6
I didn't hear any indication that the car was hesitating or sounding incorrectly at high rpm, other than when it gets to the limiter, so unless that's not apparent in the video, it sounds like your mixture was OK to me.
What you NEED is a Max Extreme so you have more control over the power delivery and then you'd have a better chance against theat EVO.
We currently have some service exchange Max Extreme V1 which have been traded in against V2, so if you can't afford a V2 maybe you can run to one of these V1s and we'd take your Minimax in PX.

Thanks for the kind offer Trevor but I feel there is more power to be had from my current system. Despite its simple construction the minimax is working fine and I want to spend the winter to tinker with my system and raise the power level to a higher level.

run 7
You'd no chance with such bad traction, so don't blame yourself for losing that one. Again I can't detect ANY indications that the mixture is adversely affecting the engines performance but if the mixture is too rich it will show up by falling flat at high rpm in higher gears.

By now the car was starting to sputter and cough at the topend.

Such a shame you had so few attempts this year and the track was so bad but even on a bad track with a Max Extreme you would run MUCH quicker than with a Minimax.

Well I`m not too disappointed as I`ve learned a lot this year about the inner workings of the nitrous system in combination with my flashpro management system and I got it running real good now.
I`ve heard Hondata may release nitrous control in the coming months. That would be ideal.

Let's hope so for everyone in general, as this year hasn't been one to be overly happy about in most regards.

I hope the traction problems at this last round of the streetlegal event was a wakeup call to the DHRA organisation as there were massive complaints from competitors.
Hope they will use some trackbite next year to get the grip back. I could surely use that.