NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: turbo size and nitrous effectiveness?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:20 pm 
Learner

As diesels tend to have smaller faster spooling turbos, will this limit how much nitrous the engine can ingest? Or put better will it hit an optimum point with the nitrous, where the turbo will hold back any further increase in nitrous? And therefore hit a performance ceiling.

Many thanks

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: turbo size and nitrous effectiveness?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:09 am 

When I started turning up my vag 1.9pd I started with a 20shot. I did not want to break it, I have to drive to work. (make my morning ) Towards the end of this phase I was was getting progressively less increase every time i increased the N2O. I finnished this phase with a 200 shot.
I think this was more to do with the lack of fuel.
Adding lpg (bad idea, now taken off) and water meth (still on it) meant further increases with the stock turbo. I think ultimately it comes down to how much fuel is the map you are using putting in. If you put more in it will/can smoke like hell on turbo alone, but gives you noticeably more on N2O.

I have since added a large turbo and bigger injector. The smoke is unbalevable at times but so is the power. How it gets through an mot i dont know. I am now considering a double injection system to add more N2O because there is so much more fuel.
I dont think there is much point having a bigger turbo without the increase in fuel. Can the standard injectors be turned up? does it just need a remap?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:22 am 
Learner

I have some focus 110 injectors that have been reconditioned and modified by diesel bob. The flow has been increased through them at higher rpm. I will hopefully get these installed once I have finished install ing the nitrous system. He says they should run about 20% over standard higher up the rev range, while maintaining low rev drivablity.

So in a fiesta 1.6 tdci it should be interesting...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

Neil B wrote:
As diesels tend to have smaller faster spooling turbos, will this limit how much nitrous the engine can ingest? Or put better will it hit an optimum point with the nitrous, where the turbo will hold back any further increase in nitrous? And therefore hit a performance ceiling.

Many thanks

The limit of how much nitrous you can use (rather than 'ingest' so much) on any turbo is usually due to the size of the aspect ratio of the exhaust turbine.

That is to say, the amount you can get out through the relatively restrictive exhaust turbine, limits how much you can put in, rather than having reached the limit of how much the engine could actually 'ingest'.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:28 pm 
Learner

I see.... so the turbine can restrict the effects of the nitrous, would a cat and restrictive exhaust also add to this problem? Or not really? I have decatted and fitted a free flow exhaust already which I noticed let the turbo spool up much faster and top end performance has improved, so I am hoping this will help nitrous performance.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

Neil B wrote:
I see.... so the turbine can restrict the effects of the nitrous, would a cat and restrictive exhaust also add to this problem? Or not really?
Yes and they are normally a restriction before the turbine AR.

I have decatted and fitted a free flow exhaust already which I noticed let the turbo spool up much faster and top end performance has improved, so I am hoping this will help nitrous performance.
It certainly will.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!