NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: The incredible journey - WIZARD sets off to USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:37 am 
Site Admin

Well it's been a longgggg time coming, as it could be said that I've been working towards this impending visit to America for almost 35 years and even if that's a bit melodramatic, I've certainly been waiting for the past year or so, while getting together the REVO system in sync with Chris Patrick getting his Pro Mod car sorted out and that alone is plenty long enough for me.

When I was a kid there was a Disney film out called "The incredible journey" and I was reminded of the title by what I'm about to undertake, both physically and metaphorically speaking.

Just a few weeks ago I sent out the REVO Pro Mod system to my American customer Chris Patrick. Unfortunately he's been so busy doing other mods to his car, that he's only just about to get down to fitting the system. Now that wouldn't be too bad were it not for the fact that he intends to track test the car (WITH THE REVO SYSTEM) at the biggest and most important Pro Mod test event of the year in Valdosta in less than TWO WEEKS time.

To make sure everyone is aware of the ENORMITY of that statement, allow me to mention a few poignant details;
1) Until the 2010 season kicks off, we'll only have had a handfull of vehicles using REVO's
2) All but 1 of those are bikes
3) The REVO system has NEVER been used on ANY SERIOUS RACE car before, so although I've tried to pre-empt any specific problems this application may cause, I'm entirely in the dark as to what we can expect, by way of performance and system component reliability. Remember these cars can break half shafts due to the killer vibes from tire shake, so God knows what they might do to the REVO system, even though I've made it as robust as I hope will be necessary.
4) Unless I'm there I doubt the REVO will even be tested on the engine before it is used on the track.
5) The car alone with all the other new mods will not have been run before
6) Most of the TOP Pro Mod cars will be at this event along with most of the main Nitrous companies

With all the above in mind I had no option but to book a flight out there and get the job sorted. :o

On Wednesday 3rd March I will arrive in Atlanta, Georgia and set about checking and testing the REVO system for Chris, in hopeful readiness for the 8th to 12th Valdosta test meeting, where I'll then have to deal with the immense pressure that having to perform and make the REVO perform in a respectable manner under such conditions will cause.

Half of me is saying that just applying the laws of probability I have NO CHANCE OF SUCCESS but the other half KNOWS WHAT THE REVO CAN DO and believe it is my destiny to make it happen and being the ever optimistic Arian I am, that half of me is driving me on.

Now that alone is going to be an "incredible journey" but if all goes reasonably well at Valdosta, then I intend to visit as many of my rapidly growing number of other American customers as I can, ranging from as far south on the east coast as West Palm Beech and as far north as New York (BY CAR) AND BACK AGAIN, so if that doesn't rank as an "incredible" journey I don't know what does - for me at least. ;)

I'll be in America for virtually the whole of March in the hope that if anything stops us doing reasonably well at Valdosta, I'll be able to get to see a few people while Chris gets the car sorted and then we'll get another chance a couple of weeks later just before I return.

Luckily thanks to the wonders of the www, I'll be able to stay in touch and update you all on progress virtually as it happens, if I can get a mobile internet dongle jobbie that will work in the USA and if I manage that, you guys will be the first to know when Chris runs a new world record - in my dreams!!!! :rolleyes:

Well we can but dream and I'm long overdue for a dream to come true, some 10 years or more since I first had this dream for Johnny Barb.
Luckily in a number of respects the dream is more likely to come true this time, because the car has already run a 4.03 and although that's a bigger differential between where Johnny was compared to the top guys at the time and where Chris is compared to the improved top times, Chris has a good number of other aspects going for him that Johnny was never fortunate enough to have (which includes the REVO), so I'll continue to dream for a while longer along with working my ass off to make it happen THIS TIME!!!

In the words of the old Gracy fields song "Wish me well as you wave me goodbye" as I'll need all the good wishes and good luck I can get. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: The incredible journey - WIZARD sets off to USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:35 pm 

Good Luck,
and show them how it should be done..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:26 pm 

Hi Trev :)

I have ABSOLUTE faith in both you and your Revos....

It WILL all be fine :)

Good luck , not that you will need it .....

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:25 pm 
Wizard

Good luck Trev,

I got back from Florida yesterday , so it looks like our eventual meet WILL be in sunny doncaster 8)

My 840 is like a hot stripper.
I just keep throwing money at her and hope that someday she will give me the ride of my life

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:14 pm 
Wizard

Bon Voyage and come back safe. Whatever the end results, I'm sure the experience will be a magnificent reward on it's own.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:14 pm 
Wizard

Hope they can understand yorkshire :lol:

Stay safe and no racing the hire car!

Buell 1125r 9.49@140

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:14 pm 
Wizard

Hope all goes well Trev!
Time to show off your wares eh? :yes:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:55 pm 
Learner

Best of luck Trev and I hope your journey will be a success.
Cheers
Hadi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:21 am 
Site Admin

Hey guys I REALLY APPRECIATE the support and the good wishes.

As for understanding Yorkshire, well I haven't managed to do very well with that in the typed form, as I've managed to en-flame a good percentage of the American forum members that way, so with a bit of luck the rye sense of humour I have will help me through when it's face to face.

Having said that if they don't understand me then at least I can't offend them - lol

The last major trip I made to the US was to meet up with my customer Greg down in florida and we got on so well my stomach ached from so much laughing.

One thing for sure, it's going to be an INTERESTING experience to add to the list. :twisted:

Hadi, where about's are you based again, as I might be able to drop by if you're anywhere near my route?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:36 am 
Wizard

All the best trev, may everything come together on the day and sucess follows :)
Hope you can get enough time on the car to set your system up to produce the results your looking for :yes:
Its put up or shut up time :twisted: Get a webcam before you go too :lol:

Go kick ass ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:20 am 
Learner

Hi Trev. I live in the Detroit area, Michigan state which is close to the northern part of the east coast. It would be great if you can stop by to show you the nitrous system in action in the 850i and introduce you to my future WON project the Viper SRT-10 :)

Cheers
Hadi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:06 am 
Wizard

Good luck and give the nitrous world a shake up :yes: 8)

Ian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks guys for the additional good wishes and advice, all of which is gratefully received.

Hadi, I'm afraid that may be too far off my intended route but if I can work it in I most certainly will do so. I was in your area a few years ago when I was trying to assist another Pro mod racer (who turned out to have a mental problem which screwed the whole deal up) and if that had worked out I'd no doubt have been in your area quite frequently since - shame that didn't work out. :cry:

Hopefully this time with this guy it will. :yes:

Thanks again for all the support.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:57 pm 
Wizard

Have a great trip Trev altho dont sound like you got much time to set it up , Best wishes how it runs a WR off trailer :twisted: :twisted:

PS are we allowed to ask for american parts for you to smuggle back in ya suitecase :twisted: :twisted: well ya got to Try LOL

Tezz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

Funny you should mention running a world record off the trailer - WOULDN'T THAT BE A DREAM COME TRUE - but in THEORY at least this could be possible. :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's a VERY STRANGE situation.

I have all the info from Chris on the nitrous and fuel deliveries he was using for his 3 stages of speedtech gear and although our mixture ratios will be different to those I could in THEORY set the REVO system up to deliver EXACTLY the same amount of nitrous at exactly the same points in the run as he did on the 4.03 - this would defeat the main object of the REVO (smooth continually progressive power deliver), as it would just step up in power as a staged kit does BUT it would give us a baseline comparison of what the same amount of nitrous would produce.
Unfortunately it wouldn't be quite as easy as that, because Chris has already reported that MUCH LESS nitrous from my system resulted in his tires being blown off BIG TIME, compared to much more nitrous with the Speedtech kit, so he'd be more likely to blow the tires off again and run much slower. :evil:

What I need to do first is determine just how much power his car can handle FROM MY system in the 60ft and then build on that.

One extremely ironic factor of all this, is that due to the lack of any dyno or laid back track testing, I'll be primarily relying on my good old STATIC TEST to set the mixture ratio of the REVO system, which is going to blow away a lot of people (including Chris probably as he's never been up for the idea) and PROVE how good it is at the same time. :twisted:

IF I can get the mixture ratio right as easily and quickly as I expect to with the static test, then with 4 days of testing available, something special could well be possible, assuming the track conditions etc. are good for it. :twisted:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:26 pm 
Wizard

Well i only use static on bike at 50 , 80 and 100 jets set 8) 8) and so far works oki LOL its still a shock tho when ya do it on bigger jeTs

LOL Trev if ya Video nothing else ya got to video that and there faces :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:01 pm 
Learner

Good luck Trev!

8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

Since the cat is now well and truly out of the bag, I might as well show you the car that's running the REVO system.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:31 pm 

Noswizard wrote:
Since the cat is now well and truly out of the bag, I might as well show you the car that's running the REVO system.

Hi :)

Wow an amazing looking car :)

Nice to see a car that has obviously had such care taken over its looks etc, that bodes well for your trip and how well it will run on Revos :) :) :)

Don`t let Perry see that bonnet though or he will get an inferiority complex about his scoop lol...

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:24 am 
Pro Mod

Its not looking good to come south though as Mom is getting out of hospital rehab on or shortly there after the 3rd. If i can make it you know i will and you know you have one close friend here.....
I know how to handle a Yorkshire sence of humor..... :omgrofl: You know I wish you and Chris all the best and if i can blow all the pics off the wall with a static test tell him i said man up....Just teasing you Chris as I wish you all the best....

If that Revo flows like you say I wouldnt try to come close to running a US system N/F ratio... :beatstick: this is what it will take to beat out the pistons afterwards...all honesty alot of that also depends of his bottle set up and lines also but still I think when i was close to 5 to 1 it was lean....but this is a all new deal and i havent and dont know any paticulars with chris car....One big advantage he has is a controler that has alot of adjustment.....

Chris I wish you all the luck and take care of my Buddy and if i can help in anyway please dont hesatate to call or ask....it might be he Revo but alot was learned in regaurds to how things are differant....If i can get down there i will come down but it looks like i will be starting my second job next week....I could tell them I quit before i start.....Chris if you need a extra pair of hands tell me..all i need is a floor i will bring my own pillow...lolol I am serious though if you think you need a experianced set of extra hands let me kmnow ok....I know how to set tire pressure :omgrofl:

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:46 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for all the offers of assistance and Johnny is once again looking after me while I'm there. Many thanks Johnny. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:34 pm 
Learner

I live in Georgia and if you bring a spider plate with you, I will be more than happy to test it on my car back to back against the NOS plates that I am currently using. I have a friend with a dynojet just a few miles up the road in Tifton, GA.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

I'll have a 4500 Spider with me, in fact it is in the USA already from the PRI show.

Despite the previous less than acceptable encounters we've had, if time allows then I'd be up for doing that with you.

I should also have a couple of sets of 350 HP Pulsoids with me, so IF your engine can handle 700 HP, we could demonstrate that the Spider is good for at least 700 HP.

I'll also have a Max Extreme with me, so I can demonstrate the extreme level of power control my full systems offer and I'll even have sone spare 500 HP REVO units with me, so we could even push the Spider power up to 1,000 if needed. :twisted:

OBVIOUSLY this would all have to be worked in AROUND my work with Chris, as that takes ABSOLUTE PRIORITY but if all goes well with that project, then I should have plenty of time to work with you on some dyno testing.

Feel free to call round at Chris's place and check out what we'll be doing there from the 4th to 6th March but be prepared for any such visit to be kept short, as we've got a lot to do and not much time to get it done in.

Alternatively drop me a PM with your phone number and if I manage to make some time then I'll call and arrange things with you.

If we get the job done for Valdosta, i'll still have the best part of 3 weeks to visit customers and work in a dyno test day.

See you soon.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 pm 

Hi Trev in the 25 odd years i've known you and used your systems i've never doubted 1 day you would take it over the water and just to wish you well and let you know the old ones among us have as much faith now as we did back in the 80's
take it to em mate

best regards Steve :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
I'll have a 4500 Spider with me, in fact it is in the USA already from the PRI show.

Despite the previous less than acceptable encounters we've had, if time allows then I'd be up for doing that with you.

I should also have a couple of sets of 350 HP Pulsoids with me, so IF your engine can handle 700 HP, we could demonstrate that the Spider is good for at least 700 HP.

I'll also have a Max Extreme with me, so I can demonstrate the extreme level of power control my full systems offer and I'll even have sone spare 500 HP REVO units with me, so we could even push the Spider power up to 1,000 if needed. :twisted:

OBVIOUSLY this would all have to be worked in AROUND my work with Chris, as that takes ABSOLUTE PRIORITY but if all goes well with that project, then I should have plenty of time to work with you on some dyno testing.

Feel free to call round at Chris's place and check out what we'll be doing there from the 4th to 6th March but be prepared for any such visit to be kept short, as we've got a lot to do and not much time to get it done in.

Alternatively drop me a PM with your phone number and if I manage to make some time then I'll call and arrange things with you.

If we get the job done for Valdosta, i'll still have the best part of 3 weeks to visit customers and work in a dyno test day.

See you soon.

IF you can bring a 4150 plate with you, that would be great. I do not have a 4500 set-up, only 4150. I can't use an adaptor either b/c my carb is set up for E-100 and I have no 4500 carb set up for it. I am prepared to buy the plate (and possibly pulsoids) if it outpaces my current set-up. I will only be looking to spray 250-350 worth of spray. I've made 749rwhp thus far with my current set up...I would like to do a back-to-back test with the same pills and see what the plate is worth by itself, then maybe step up to the pulsoids. My set up is VERY easy to work on and I would do the changes right on the dyno.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next