NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pulsoid X10 the ULTIMATE solenoid
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

Due to rising demand over the last year, the last batch of our current Pulsoid design started to run out quickly, so we decided that although we had the REVO in low volume production now, we couldn't meet all the demand for that and couldn't increase production easily or quickly, so we’d manufacture another batch of Pulsoids to tide us over, until the REVOs were in full production.

While we were doing that, we decided we might as well take solenoid design to the ULTIMATE extreme and end the life of the Pulsoid on a high, so we created the Pulsoid X10.

I gave David (my CAD assistant) the performance design criteria and then told him to let his imagination run wild with the overall design/appearance.

David then took it upon himself to carry out the work in secret (not telling me that he'd made progress with the design when he had), as he wanted to surprise me by presenting me with a finished product, rather than show me in stages.
He's done this now and again (as has Ant) and while it's frustrating for me in the run up to the presentation, it's always a pleasant surprise to discover how well they've actually been working and the X10 project is an OUTSTANDING example of David's work.

The improvements over the original Pulsoid design with regards to performance are;

1) Offset inlet for improved flow (the same principle as we use on our MaxFlow bottle valves.

2) Larger inlet port for higher flow

3) Increased heat dissipation (this is the best part of the aesthetics of the design) for cooler running.

4) Addition of an integral purge port and before anyone thinks this is an idea I copied from NX, let me ASSURE you, it was MY idea that I discussed with Mike Woods MANY years ago but until now I didn’t think it was work adding to my design. In addition to that, the purge port in the NX solenoid is DETRIMENTAL to the design (because it’s not designed correctly), whereas the purge port in the X10 is NO detriment.

5) PTFE coated plungers for EVEN LONGER wear free life but more importantly for TOTAL fuel resistance.

Improvements unrelated to performance are;

1) The most AMAZING aesthetics

2) Multiple mounting options

3) Laser etched WON logo, so no more lost or tatty stickers

4) Improved insulation between body and wire exit

5) The addition of product specific identification

Now Dave and Ant didn’t want me letting you guys in on all this just yet (and especially didn’t want me posting any pics of the parts), because they wanted to wait till we had them in full production but I’m so happy with the design that I wanted to tell you and show you all ASAP, so I sneaked these pics of the body using my mobile phone today.

Hope you like the X10 as much as I do;

BTW the picture (being on a phone) doesn't do the X10 justice and doesn't show that the slots in the body expose the polished stainless steel coil case, which makes a striking contrast with the anodised alloy body. :mrgreen:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject: Re: Pulsoid X10 the ULTIMATE solenoid
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:24 pm 
Wizard

This sounds fantastic. One of the ideas I like most, is more efficient heat disipation, so if those are vents I can see, that is a great improvement.

Well done guys.

My 840 is like a hot stripper.
I just keep throwing money at her and hope that someday she will give me the ride of my life

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you like them Richard and yes they are vents to increase the surface area of the metal that can dissipate the heat more than actually vent out any heat in the form of air flow. :idea:

When you see a good res. pic of the whole thing I'm sure you'll appreciate the aesthetics of David's design even more. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:23 pm 
Wizard

Looks good hard to tell from pics but are them vents allway thro outer caseing if so how have ya delt with dust and moister ingress into the working of the unit any more details of the inbuilt purge

Tezz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:01 pm 
Wizard

I can understand the idea of increasing surface area to dissipate internal heat from the coil to the surrounding air. But in a hot engine bay, surely the increased surface area with the fins allows more heat soak into the body from the local heat source??
Would it not be better to use a neoprene jacket over the body to keep heat out??

Playing Devils Advocate here, I think there could be a play off with a solenoid body like this as it would surely soak heat more quickly into the body from its surroundings when not in use.

Do the pulsoids really generate a lot of heat when being used for 10-15 seconds with nitrous and petrol being drawn through them to aid cooling?

With installs like My and Moo's MR2's and Debs MG where the pulsoids are mounted away for the heat source this would be good. Moo has his in the boot, my MR2 has them hidden in the rersonator box in the induction system (yes its a sneaky one) and Debs are mounted in the boot behind the fire wall.

But these on my V8 would be sitting right in the engine bay above the exhaust manifolds (albeit with my heat shields in place) and would surely suck up more heat than the flat / slightly ribbed sided ones I have at present??

This leads me to another question. How much cooling does the fuel flow (nitrous and petrol) do to help keep the body cool on an normal pulsoid?

And I'm going to throw another one in here. Could the fuels be used to cool the body before use.

Way back in the day. I spent a short time working with a chum in Africa on refrigeration plant. The compressors in remote outstations used to over heat. So I decided to nick a small amount of the condenser cooling water and divert it into a 3/8" copper pipe which I physically wrapped around the motor bodies of the compressors before joining it back to the condenser circuit. This solved a problem very simply.

Would it be possible to wrap the pulsoid bodies in a feed pipe under the casing so the fuel soaks up the heat?? Not a jacket which would cock up phase change, but an actual feed line going round and round the body several times under the casing before entering the inlet port.

Or have you already got this on on the back burner Trev ;)

Every time we come up with a newbie idea / suggestion, you have thought of it yonks ago and already have it sketched and on the drawing board you old wizard you :yes:

Maybe we could call it the Cooloid :D :D

That would be a real boon in hot countries like the good 'ole US of A huh??

I bet Mike Thermos has one in the pipeline mate :rofl:

The Chilledoutoid :beatstick: :beatstick:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:30 pm 
Learner

That looks amazing Trev!!! I love the new features.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:56 pm 
Learner

Have to say these look pretty good, especially for those of us in the 2 wheeled world where we can hang em out in the breeze so to speak. Just read through mgbv8's comments and just wondering, that if heat soak is an issue then would it not be possible to create a cool airstream for the pulsoids to sit in? I'm thinking a small ducting from front of vehicle, say 30mm armourflex, from a discreet position up front so when on the move pulsoids are kept nice and cool, and when in operation the cool air is there to take the heat away from the body rather than transfer the heat to the nitrous or fuel. Possibly even mout them in a vented box to become Ram Air Pulsoids (RAP) !! Lol :D

Steve

Is it possible to own too many hammers????

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:24 am 
Wizard

I'm not saying heat soak is an issue with the present design. I'm saying the new design would surely absorb heat faster from its surroundings in an engine bay. I dont know at what temperature the solenoid would have a problem with operation?
Maybe they can operate at very high temperatures, and the extra fins just look good.
And why the change of heart with the addition of a purge port? With my system at 900psi it doesnt really need a purge. But I do one anyway to make sure I have liquid as close as possible to the solenoid. Having a purge built into the solenoid will be the best yet I reckon. I didnt know anyone else had already done this? How does the purge work? The Americans love big purges. And so do I :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:28 am 
Wizard

Quote:
The Americans love big purges. And so do I :)

Trying to think of something witty to say, but my brain is not awake yet

My 840 is like a hot stripper.
I just keep throwing money at her and hope that someday she will give me the ride of my life

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

On the heat issue; Since we advice everyone to either locate the Pulsoids in a cool location, duct cool air towards them or shield them, the additional surface area should improve cooling.

If however that advice is not followed and they are located in a hot location, they will absorb a little more heat but it wont affect the performance.

Heat is not a major issue for the Pulsoids compared to US generic solenoids, which suffer badly due to the inability to conduct the heat from the core, due to being made of multiple stainless parts rather than a single billet of alloy, so the extra cooling is just a bonus.

The cooling idea you mentioned Perry was not on the back burner as I don't think it's a good idea to heat the media flow to cool the Pulsoid, when correct fitting and a greater cooling surface area will do the job. :idea:

The integral purge is JUST an additional 'PORT' not an integral purge solenoid, it just means the flow path to the solenoid can be uninterrupted to avoid additional phase change and the gas can be vented THROUGH the solenoid rather than just UP TO the solenoid and makes a neater overall package.

In response to your points Tezz, yes the slots are cut through and although that does mean dust and moisture can get in to the coil chamber but that won't cause any problems, as the actual working/moving elements are inside an inner chamber which is sealed from the chamber coil.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:32 pm 
Wizard

Interesting Trev!!
That means one less bit of kit and less pipework under my bonnet for purging.

Does the solenoid have two stages of lift? One for purge and one for pulsing?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

This purge 'PORT' seems to be confusing some people. :?

I'll try to clarify further;

1) Normally to fit a purge solenoid you need to 'T' in to the main solenoid supply line.

2) The 'T' disrupts flow and allows the nitrous liquid to phase change.

3) The purged gas can only be vented up to the point of the purge 'T' location, leaving gas in the remaining pipe and the solenoid itself.

4) By adding a purge 'PORT' in the Pulsoid body, it is now possible to add a purge solenoid AFTER the Pulsoid to avoid all the problems listed above.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:30 pm 
Wizard

So this port would be plugged if not using a purge system. Or you connect a line from this port to the purge solenoid :D

Cool!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

That's it and we will supply them with a plug, so the customer can use the port as and when required.

The main reasons I haven't incorporated such a port before are;

1) The vast majority of my customers don't need a purge.

2) Such a port increases the risk of a leak.

3) The existing Pulsoids could be drilled and tapped as required.

The main reasons why we've added one now are;

1) We have a growing demand for higher power systems which require the use of braided hose and therefore need a purge.

2) Our existing design doesn't lend itself to neatly adding a purge solenoid, whereas this port will.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:57 pm 
Learner

I would've thought the flow of gas would provide plenty enough cooling, does look pretty though. We need more pics!!! :p

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:08 am 
Site Admin

Here's the full gen on heat;

1) The source of the heat we're concerned about is the centre of the coil.

2) The heat at the core finds it harder to reach a cooling source because it is confined deep inside the solenoid.

3) On generic solenoids the flow path of the heat is, into the stainless steel tube surrounding the plunger, through the friction weld to the stainless steel tube retainer, through the threads to the stainless steel body.

4) Due to the multiple parts of the flow path and the fact that they are all stainless steel (which is a very poor heat conductor), it is quite common for coils to burn out and plungers to seize up.

5) In contrast, the Pulsoid has a ONE PIECE billet alloy core/body so the flow of heat is a continuous path in aluminium, from the core to the rest of the solenoid body.

6) Also unlike generic solenoids (which have a separate steel cover), the coil cover of a Pulsoid is an integral part of the billet alloy 'whole', which means that not only does the heat have a much easier flow path to cooling air but it has a MUCH bigger mass and surface area to dissipate it through and the X10 now has even more.

7) Due to the flow of fuel and nitrous being confined mainly to the lower part of the body on any solenoid, there is very little cooling effect from that and because our chamber is much smaller than a generic solenoid, even less occurs in a Pulsoid, just as I designed it to be.

8) Although external heat is a detriment to performance, it is not a factor in reliability of the solenoid as a whole, as generic solenoids would still overheat and seize if they were in a cool location and Pulsoids will NOT overheat and seize even in a hot location, because the main cause of the problem is the heat path design or in the case of generic solenoids, the lack of ANY consideration having been given to the entire matter.

I hope that’s covered the heat issue adequately and I’d like to hear some comments about the other features as well if anyone would be so kind!?!?!?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:32 am 
Wizard

cool info on the heat issue , i still have issues with anything thats got holes in it on a bike in my experiance when dealing with dust and water on a bike the one thing you always try and avoid is any openings , with out giving to much away where exactly will and water or dust go and how is it being kept from any of the inner workings or moving parts

Tezz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:54 am 
Learner

The current model pulsoids have optional flow ratings of 250hp and 350hp. What is the "base" flow rate of the X10, and will there be any flow rate options?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

There shouldn't be anywhere for water or dust to collect as the slots/vents will allow it out as well as in.

The internals have always been sealed from the coil housing so nothing needed changing there.

If you look at the cross section diagram shown in the thread about comparing generic solenoids with Pulsoids, you might get a better idea of how we achieve this.

The base X10 will be capable of 200 hp and it will initially be available in 300 & 400 options only and we may even offer a 500 hp version later.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:24 pm 

Hi Trev :)

Amazing new technology yet again...congratulations :) :) :)

Soooo when I get my Revos, I will now have to get some X10`s to match them lol ,,,,

Will I need 4 or 8 and have you decided a price yet ?

Also a quick mounting question on the X10....if they are being fitted to replace standard Pulsoids, will they mount in the same place and in the same way (end on) ?

I am thinking of my twin ally rails with my 4 Pulsoids mounted each side ?

Got to have the latest and best don`t you know.....lol :)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Yes the X10 Pulsoids will directly replace the existing Pulsoids in the same mounting location Brett.

However, I need to design you a system that best suits the new REVO system concept and that may or may not require as many Pulsoids.

You'd better PM me with your phone number and we'll discuss your exact requirements. :twisted:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Latest sneaky pic of the X10s for you;

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:28 pm 
Wizard

I like that Trev!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Me too and I just wish Ant & Dave weren't wanting to be so secretive about the new X10's because I'm dying to show you the whole deal, as they look even more impressive in their entirety. :twisted:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:54 pm 
Learner

hey trev what the price on these compared to the old ones? (sorry if thats already been answered)

also..off topic, but are you guys gonna be making a simple small on/off noid for the revo safety noid so we dont have to spend big money on the pulsoids if we want to use revo?