NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pulsoid X10 the ULTIMATE solenoid
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:13 am 
Learner

Which fittings do i need to select to fit my system? ( nylon line )

Im guessing its 5mm inlet and 4mm outlet nylon on the nitrous solenoid.

But the current solenoid on my car looks as though its got a 4mm inlet and 4mm outlet??? :?

As soon as i have this info i'll place the order on the site 8)

( P.s are they only avaliable in blue/red atm? )

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:56 pm 

ben_r1 wrote:

But the current solenoid on my car looks as though its got a 4mm inlet and 4mm outlet??? :?

Hi Ben :)

I can answer the last question about colour as I asked recently regarding colour for my new X10`s ... deep red and deep blue was the answer....

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:50 pm 
Pro Mod

So Brett how much are you spraying with all your pulsoids? Hope things there are going well for you...

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:26 pm 

Racer704 wrote:
So Brett how much are you spraying with all your pulsoids? Hope things there are going well for you...

Hi :)

Nothing at moment as system in bits ready for Revo and X10 install soon ...lol :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:37 pm 
Pro Mod

Why both if I can ask...i thought Trev had figuerd a new fail safe and didnt need to add a noid for saftey?

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:49 pm 

Racer704 wrote:
Why both if I can ask...i thought Trev had figuerd a new fail safe and didnt need to add a noid for saftey?

Hi :)

I will let Trev answer this properly, but I "think" the answer is that to start with the X10`s sort of back up the Revos as a safety measure....

Don`t forget mine will be the first road car ever to have Revos and you know how careful Trev is about safety etc....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:16 am 
Site Admin

ben_r1 wrote:

Unless my memory is failing me, your system is recently new and in that case the pipes should/will be 5mm in and 4mm out.

Feel free to order at your convenience.

Yes they are.

The first batch of X-10 'nitrous' Pulsoids have been completed and have passed the test program and the fuel Pulsoids should be finished testing tomorrow, so we'll be sending out the first orders early next week.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:19 am 
Site Admin

Racer704 wrote:

That's only suitable for 'race' applications at present and isn't quite as suitable as Pulsoids for street use.
We're working on a number of safety enhancing features so we can offer the REVO's as stand alone units but they wont be available for a while yet.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:40 am 
Site Admin

Good news, the first X-10s have been going out this week and we hope to have all outstanding orders despatched within the next 2 weeks.

Please check out the new pics on the appropriate pages.

Also be advised that further testing has produced even better results than first delivered.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:47 am 

Noswizard wrote:
Good news, the first X-10s have been going out this week and we hope to have all outstanding orders despatched within the next 2 weeks.

Please check out the new pics on the appropriate pages.

Also be advised that further testing has produced even better results than first delivered.

Hi Trev :)

I love those new pages for the x10`s....

Beautifully laid out with great pictures and lots of technical information....nobody should need to ask any technical questions now lol :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:02 am 
Learner

Hey Trev it looks like the nitrous pulsoid and fuel pulsoid specs have just been cut and paste, shouldn't the fuel pulsoid only use 1 or 2 amps? If not I might need to re think my electrics :(

Paul.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:33 am 
Pro Mod

blown355 wrote:
Hey Trev it looks like the nitrous pulsoid and fuel pulsoid specs have just been cut and paste, shouldn't the fuel pulsoid only use 1 or 2 amps? If not I might need to re think my electrics :(

Paul.

Paul the amps drawn will depend on your voltage in your car... I belive the fuel pulsoids are.4\ohms so mutiply your voltage and this is your amperage...i say this because if you run just 12 volt batterys for a track car well its not bad at all...but add a alt. now you have 13to 15 depending how hard you spin it and how many amps its drawing...If you run a 16 volt battery there 17.8 fully charged and with a alt..18 plus volts...so even though there less the a half ohm the voltage plays a major role

Iam going to run 24 volts in my next car so now I will be pulling alot more amps....

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:24 am 
Learner

Thanks Johnny, that makes sense :yes: . Electrics are my archilles heel. I thought the fuel pulsoids would draw less amps as they are acting against a lesser pressure/or weaker spring(not sure of their workings)? I say that because Holley rate there nitrous solenoids around 10 amps(depending on which one) and the fuel solenoids around 1.6amps. I know it's comparing apples and oranges but there must be a similarity in amperage draw.

Paul.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:44 am 
Pro Mod

Hey Paul, glad you understood it...and there are no simalarites at all....that 10 amps..well once again dont belive everthing you read....use the formula I gave you and with 1.6 ohms X voltage say it 13 volts so that makes it above 20 amps.....now that amp draw will only spike high when it first lifts..then it will come back to 10...alot like if you have a window air conditioner and it comes on the lights will dim for a moment and you here it strugle to start then once it gets going it smooths out and you hear and see this as it cycles on off also.....

Hey people will argue that I am wrong but you have fingers...google Ohms law and see what it is for direct current....then come back and let me know....use the numbers you gave me and a round voltage figure for your car...like 13 and see what it comes back as....The pulsoids dont draw anything like the standard industrial solinoids..sure over the years they have reworked them and made them better but you can only polish a rust bucket so much and in the end you still have a rust buket with a shine... :rofl: :rofl: :yes:

Also the wires on the pulsoids are 20guage i belive....maybe 18.....that should say something there and the fuel coils in the pulsoids are .4 ohms or resitance.....now adjusting the seat can change this also...but lets keep it simple...lolol :yes: Here is something to remember about electric..look at it like a garden hose..the water flowing is voltage but the pressure is the amperage...low pressure low resistance..but you you have flow...I hope that makes since also..

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:10 am 
Learner

Ha! Johnny I caught you! (Impossible to do, usually... :bow: ) In the hose analogy the water flowing is the Amperage and the pressure pushing the water is the Voltage. So for a given hose diameter (resistance) if you up the pressure (voltage) you will get more flow (amperage). Ohm's Law indeed. (Sorry, man, had to state the 'truth'... ).

If the coil is .4 ohms resistance and you use a nominal voltage like 12, the 'calculated' current should be 30 amps. Conversly, if the rated current is 20 amps (at 12 volts) the resistance of the coil calculates to .6 ohms. My car's alternator puts out 13.7 volts so that would up the current calculation to 34.25 amps for the .4 ohm coil and 22.8 amps for the .6 ohm coil. These are steady state values. Inrush current in a coil is inductive and lagging so current actually cannot spike since a coil produces 'back emf' to resist current change. This can calculated if we know the value of the coil inductance in Henrys. Regardless, inductive reactance will limit current inrush. Once flowing the resistive load limits the current and it will vary some due to the heating of the coil wire. (A person needs to be carefull of how much voltage is applied to a given solenoid coil, since it would have been designed with a given heat dissipation capability. Up the current flow and you up the heat generation.) When things really get interesting is when you try to stop the current flow by opening the switch. Inductive forces attempt to keep the current flowing and generate very large 'back emf' voltages, the same kind of phenomenon that we use to generate huge sparks to fire off our heavily nitroused engines!! Once the voltage goes high enough to jump the gap in the switch it will do so until the energy is fully discharged, or until the gap becomes too great. Thus, the relay or solid state switching device must be made to account for the gap arc and high back emf values when switching off a solenoid. Solenoid pulsing is another matter, but for the same reasons of inductive reactance, solenoids will operate with different efficiencies at different frequencies, only some of which will suit our purpose.

Now, its your turn to catch me up! I'm sure I also missed something in the paragraph above.... :beatstick:

Bart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:22 am 
Pro Mod

Bart...you have my anology backwards....flow is voltage and pressure is the amps...

Ok I messed up on my figures regaurding the ohms of the puslsoids so i stand corrected...i belive there 1.6 as stated so that means there is 10 amps draw with 12 volts.I belive the nitrous are .9 ohms and that sounds better....thank you for pointing that out...I have been up for 2 days so give a old man a break...LOLOL Just busting your balls Brother...I messed up my figures...to much going on with 2 deaths in one week and trying to take care of my Mom and then....take care of my job which is helping all of you...LOL Dont I wish this was my job...Thanks again for pointing out my mistake......

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:41 am 
Pro Mod

Yadda Yadda Yadda....my hose anology is correct...amperage is what kills you not the voltage..now not that voltage cant kill you but i worked 2 summer in high school as electricians helper and all those journeyman eletricians always said **** the volts...amperage...do think 12 volts sparking will hurt you from your battery? Nope but if it grounds on a ring now you have the amperage and your the resitance in that deal.....your ground....

The restriction in the hose diameter is the resitance there for you have higher load or amps...flow is voltage...it can be higher but the restriction is still the oriface.....I guess i need a better anology for you...but please Bart let me sleep on it... :rofl:

You got me on my calculations on ohms and forgetting what the pulsoids where...Hell i dont sell them...I am just a customer...but one other thing going thru the Max there pulsed thru the ground side....When i was over there at WON we made severe changes thru 100 amp mosfets...and they could only run for 7 seconds and needed cooling down...We actually had the controler catch on fire....LOL Ant and I laughed but Trev saw no fun in it since it was his money...You dont have the daliy double though Bart ..:D :cheers:

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:53 am 
Pro Mod

Bart your whole nitrous spark plugs and the whole inductive thing...my head hurts and you took something simple and made it complicated and right and wrong...I live by a simple code in my life...KISS Keep It Simple Stupid.....if you ever saw my wire jobs in a race car..there simple yet trick and work without flaws for over 20 years...I learned all this thru KISS and lots of mistakes....Look at my manifold with 16 pulsoids....be the first one and make flow and density and everything work and oh yes 33 plus wires to connect....when ever I started to over complicate it i tore it apart and made is simpler...and the last updated design with the nitrous pulsoids mounted on studs and stainless push fitting and i turned the jet holder down and then knurled them...no wrenches need....i could change all 8 less then 10 mins.....But like i said i understand and yes your right and wrong at the same time....

So Grasshopper when you can take the pebble from my hand you will have learned enough to go on your own.... :cheers: :beatstick: :beatstick:

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:22 am 
Pro Mod

One last update...my anology was from auto shop 101 in highschool and in are book on the elctrical system in car it used the same thing...with pictures...simple and got thru to me....I live in the real world...I was a line tech for GM 16 years till i cought a trans...and all the young punks that could read and talk theroy lost me...but guess who always fixed there problems...I always asked them...so wheres the theroy in this....

Kinda like when i walk into a shop now and a mid 20's man is staring off looking at a carb on his bench...I have to laugh....especialy if it is one that was ECU controled....I couldnt read the GM manuels when GM went EFI but i fixed the junk when no one else could..I worked in a shop of 25 so called techs....

Have a good one Bart...its fun to debate with cool people and i have to say this board is full of great and smart people..smarter then me ....but God gives us all a gift..mine was always beijng able to fix and figure things out....Always pissed my Dad off..he bought me a mini bike when I was ten and I had the motor apart the first chance i got.....

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:34 am 
Learner

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Johnny, you are the guru of nitrous on this side of the pond. Your hands-on experience is second to none. Your problem solving skills and practical application of your hard earned knowledge (wisdom) has been demonstrated over and over. And I've only watched through this forum, and aspire to learn, learn ,learn.....

BUT, :beatstick: What happens to the current in a wire or the water in a hose if there is no PRESSURE to push it? It goes to zero. What if there is pressure but there is no path to ground, or the end of the hose is plugged? Flow is zero. So, VOLTAGE is PRESSURE, and AMPERAGE is FLOW. (That fancy term 'emf' is 'Electro Motive Force', another term for voltage, and is the force or pressure that makes electrons move. (See link: http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResource ... oltage.htm ) When electrons move, we want to know how many are moving by in a given time frame, and amperage is based on Coulombs per Second, a measurement of how much electrical charge has passed by. (See link: http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResource ... perage.htm ) This Ohm fellow was very smart. When he devised his formula for the relationship between voltage and current {even the term current, like the current in a creek, infers flow...} in a resistive context with Direct Current, the unit Ohm got set as the resistive value which will allow 1 Ampere of current to flow when 1 Volt of electrical pressure is applied. )

Your practical conclusions don't seem to be swayed by your inverse perception of this reality, but there can be no doubt about which one is the Creator of the Motion, Pressure/Voltage, and which one is doing the Moving because of it, Amperage/Flow. Just like water, or gasoline in our fuel feed lines, if you have 12 pounds per square inch of fuel pressure, you can have anything from zero flow with infinite resistance, plugged line, through to maximum useable flow with 12 lbs maintained by changing the resistance of the path, or how much fuel is let by in a given time, or maximum unrestricted flow which will mean in this case that the pressure will go down to match the highest possible flow to the very low resistance created with the 'un-natural' setup of an open ended pump. (This could be related to circuits that are considered 'current limiting', but that's another matter.)

Actually, Direct Current of any voltage sufficient to create current through your body is dangerous because direct current is constant flowing, so once going, it has no 'reason' to stop, unless the voltage is removed somehow. Alternating Current, AC, used in all our buildings is safer at high voltages since it alternates polarity 120 times every second, so there is a portion of the time when there is no current flowing and a person can 'let go' of the voltage source. What kills you is a relatively low current that flows right through your heart, so if you have a circuit from your left arm to your right leg, its going to go right through your heart. Even from arm to arm is dangerous, but it could travel slightly above your heart. Our bodies have fairly high resistance, so it takes a fairly high voltage to get a current flowing in us, but our sweat, being salt water, helps conduct electricity.

Alright, enough Electrical Principles 101... And I just saw your next post. I think the simple explanation is that you got it, yes, but got it in reverse when you restate it, but when you apply it, you're doing so correctly, if that makes any sense. Interesting you mention high school, since I found those two links above on an educational site.

You're still my nitrous hero, Johnny! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Bart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

Haven't got time to read all the recent posts but I can tell you that the fuel Pulsoid coils are 3.2 Ohms and therefore pull 3.75 Amps @ 12 Volts.

Thanks for pointing out that the info on the site was wrong and Ant should get that changed today.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:21 pm 
Pro Mod

Well there you have it...so much for my memory...2 days no sleep didnt help my cause either...thanks Trev.....and if my clear mind remembers there use to be 2 differant coils for the nitrous also....1.3 and .9 correct...?

" Forgive me Father for I Have Sinned" :bow: :bow: :bow:

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

Racer704 wrote:
Well there you have it...so much for my memory...2 days no sleep didnt help my cause either...thanks Trev.....
Don't know what mistake you made Johnny but as we all make them and as it was no doubt a minor one, I'm sure nobody will hold it against you. :yes:

and if my clear mind remembers there use to be 2 differant coils for the nitrous also....1.3 and .9 correct...?
Yes that's about right but as my memory is not as good as yours I'm not exactly sure of the exact values but they are certainly in that region.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:37 pm 
Pro Mod

I should have just went to bed when I got home..... :beatstick: :tard: :loser:
You know the one thing i am still learning is how to get my points or thought accross...I dont have a problem when I am working on them but writting about or sometimes even talking about them has always been a big problem....I have come along way and I think Trev will back me on this from when he and I 1st started to chat.

This is why i stated i dont get into theroy much because its rarely used in the real world and I didnt understand most of it..still learning to read and get my head around most things....I use my common sinse and alot of the time its not so common either... :rofl:

I know what I want to say but writting it is far harder for me....if you could bring me anything broke..I will fix it or figure it out...as one old timer told me in 1974 he said and i quote
" Son the best way to never look bad is if you cant fix it,burn or tear it up so bad that no one else can either and they have to replace it"

I still laugh at this today...I havent yet reached that point....but when i have problems I here him telling me this..... :rofl: :rofl:
Bart I pass on knowing how to write correctly but automotive related anything....From wiring to whats works and doesnt and making it run right....I will never pass...thank you for trying to understand the hard side of me... :yes: To all those reading my mess and future messes thank you... :cheers: :cheers:

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

With you all the way on practice over theory Johnny and although I'm better than you at putting my ideas/thoughts across in text, at least you don't offend anyone the way I manage to do. :omgrofl: :omgrofl:

Neither of us is that well educated but once again I fully agree with you on using common sense when lacking education, as it wins hands down.

Just think how good we'd be if we'd had a better education to go with the common sense. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next