NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Yamaha ypvs
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:05 pm 

Will a Yamaha 350 YPVS take nitrous? It has only done 500 miles since a full rebuild.

Do I spend £700 on expansion chambers that will rob power from the bottom end, or do I give it gas

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Yamaha ypvs
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Mike B wrote:
Quote:
Will a Yamaha 350 YPVS take nitrous? It has only done 500 miles since a full rebuild.

Most certainly and we still have customers who set/hold world records using our systems on such engines.
In one particular case the customer seized his motor WITHOUT nitrous, while preparing for a nitrous run but then destroyed the record WITHOUT ANY DAMAGE to the motor when USING WON nitrous.

Quote:
Do I spend £700 on expansion chambers that will rob power from the bottom end, or do I give it gas

That is a NO brainer, as nitrous works EVEN BETTER on 2 strokes than it does on 4 strokes and rather than being robbed of power at the bottom end, you'll MAKE SO MUCH LOW END TORQUE that it will out pull a tractor and you'll make MUCH MORE PEAK POWER than you could ever do from expansion chambers.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:32 am 

mmmmm yes my thoughts exactly!

I have studied the dyno graphs of many different sets of expansion chambers for my bike, all of them without exception loose about 10 BHP at 5k revs. Very few manage to give me back an extra 10 BHP at peak revs, which is usually at least 1k higher than the standard pipes. All the manufacturers of pipes give claims of extra BHP, but when you study the graphs some do, some don't. But I know that 5k revs will be used far more than 10k revs, so fitting pipes will for most of the time make the bike produce LESS power! how shit is that? and that is before we go down the tuned barrels route that I am guessing would make matters even worse.

So, I'm sold! I have been going to put nitrous on a bike for quite a while but for one reason or another never got around to it. This time I am deffo going to do it. From what I understand one of your twin cylinder kits is a similar price to a set of expansion chambers so like you say it's a no brainer.

So, here are a few questions for you.

My engine was rebuilt only about 500 miles ago, but has cast pistons fitted. Will these be ok? The squish band was tightened up but the heads reprofiled so that the compression wasn't too high for road fuel, but will be a little higher than standard, will this be ok? What mods do I need to do to the engine if any? From what I have been reading on other posts NOTHING needs doing.

I am not wanting to be greedy, 20 BHP from nitrous would be more than enough on my little engine, would you take it up to that in stages to begin with?

Having never used nitrous before, although I do already have your book! at what revs is it safe to give it the gas?

How much does the gas cost to refill? I have a fire extinguisher (C02), could this bottle be used to store nitrous and allow me to refill my own bike cylinder at home?

I am right in thinking I need this system , SB50-2 Twin Cylinder Nitrous Kit?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

Mike B wrote:
Quote:
mmmmm yes my thoughts exactly!

Glad to hear it. :yes:

Quote:
I have studied the dyno graphs of many different sets of expansion chambers for my bike, all of them without exception loose about 10 BHP at 5k revs. Very few manage to give me back an extra 10 BHP at peak revs, which is usually at least 1k higher than the standard pipes. All the manufacturers of pipes give claims of extra BHP, but when you study the graphs some do, some don't. But I know that 5k revs will be used far more than 10k revs, so fitting pipes will for most of the time make the bike produce LESS power! how shit is that? and that is before we go down the tuned barrels route that I am guessing would make matters even worse.

Exactly!!! 99% of NA tuning results in a loss at some point/s to make a gain at another and it takes a great deal of thought to end up with an overall gain for a particular application.
With nitrous there is NO LOSS at any point and the gains are vastly greater than possible with NA tuning.

Quote:
So, I'm sold! I have been going to put nitrous on a bike for quite a while but for one reason or another never got around to it. This time I am deffo going to do it. From what I understand one of your twin cylinder kits is a similar price to a set of expansion chambers so like you say it's a no brainer.

Correct.

Quote:
So, here are a few questions for you.

My engine was rebuilt only about 500 miles ago, but has cast pistons fitted. Will these be ok?

Yes

Quote:
The squish band was tightened up but the heads reprofiled so that the compression wasn't too high for road fuel, but will be a little higher than standard, will this be ok?

Yes

Quote:
What mods do I need to do to the engine if any? From what I have been reading on other posts NOTHING needs doing.

Correct it will be fine as it is UP TO A POINT, the only problem is not knowing exactly where that point is going to be but it will be MUCH HIGHER than the increase you could make NA.

Quote:
I am not wanting to be greedy, 20 BHP from nitrous would be more than enough on my little engine, would you take it up to that in stages to begin with?

That should be perfectly fine (I think we've had up to 50 or more on similar bikes) and it would probably be wise to start at 10 and go from there.

Quote:
Having never used nitrous before, although I do already have your book! at what revs is it safe to give it the gas?

From just above idle on a 2 stroke.

Quote:
How much does the gas cost to refill? I have a fire extinguisher (C02), could this bottle be used to store nitrous and allow me to refill my own bike cylinder at home?

The price depends on where you buy it from and although it's not legit to fill a CO2 extinguisher bottle with nitrous, there are no 'practical' problems with doing so but again that will depend on who you get the fills from.
Here's where to find our agents;
http://www.noswizard.com/agents

Quote:
I am right in thinking I need this system , SB50-2 Twin Cylinder Nitrous Kit?

Correct.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:05 pm 

Hi, and thanks for answering all my questions.

Gas from just over tick over on a two stroke ? Hell, nitrous on a stroker will make it feel like it's from a different planet. As you are well aware that is exactly where a two stroke produces NIL power. From what I have seen of the dyno readings for a 350 ypvs, it probably needs 3k revs to be giving 10bhp.
Just looking at the dyno read-out's again. At 6K revs with the standard pipes this engine is giving only about 32 RWBHP, just about every set of chambers drop this to about 22 to 25 RWBHP at 6K tops!

And you say I can gas it from just over tick over.

I am looking forward to this experience!

See you in doncaster very very soon.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:45 am 
Site Admin

Mike B wrote:
Quote:
Hi, and thanks for answering all my questions.

My pleasure.

Quote:
Gas from just over tick over on a two stroke ? Hell, nitrous on a stroker will make it feel like it's from a different planet.

EXACTLY, it makes it PULL FROM ZERO LIKE A TRAIN, no more waiting for the rpm to reach the power band, it just TAKES OFF.

Quote:
As you are well aware that is exactly where a two stroke produces NIL power.

Exactly, which is why its so much better than it is even on 4 strokes. FYI Wankel's experience a similar benefit for similar reasons.

Quote:
From what I have seen of the dyno readings for a 350 ypvs, it probably needs 3k revs to be giving 10bhp.
Just looking at the dyno read-out's again. At 6K revs with the standard pipes this engine is giving only about 32 RWBHP, just about every set of chambers drop this to about 22 to 25 RWBHP at 6K tops!

Pathetic - you should have seen the effect of nitrous on a HIGHLY TUNED TZ motor. :twisted: :twisted:

Quote:
And you say I can gas it from just over tick over.

Yup just simultaneously grab a fistful of throttle and dump the clutch (a totally alien practice for a 2 stroke rider) and it will TAKE OFF.

Quote:
I am looking forward to this experience!

So you should be, as there is NOTHING ELSE LIKE IT especially on 2 strokes. Just wish I'd video'd every bike and car I've either ridden/driven with nitrous or supplied for customers to do so, as I'd be able to post a few examples for you.
FYI our latest 2 stroke customer has a Drag BOAT with a Mercury V6 2 stroke motor in it and we're eagerly awaiting the results from that.

Quote:
See you in doncaster very very soon.

I'll be waiting.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)