NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Max Extreme interference issues
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:59 pm 
Learner

Ok, so this year hasnt gone quite according to plan what with the weather and everything. Last meeting i finally got chance to try the new system out and apart from 1st run where it fired briefly, which is when i realised i need to set to auto box for airshift gear changes and 500rpm rev drop so only got 1st gear worth......
Anyway, next run screen scrambles and no delivery at all and so it went on. Unit has been checked over and all ok, so before i refit it ( I have FRED standing in for summer nationals) thought id try and solve a few things.....

Currently the max is mounted in the fairing so is easy to access, this causes 2 potential problems...
1) being at an extreme end of the bike, vibration is more discernable than being mounted mid bike under the seat
2) Being a bike, all wiring has to pass past the headstock area, which is the normal position for ignition coils

In the 1st instance, how much of an issue is high frequency vibration for a max?

In the 2nd, i really dont want to have to move the max to where it cant be seen, sooo, how beneficial would screened cable be, and would it be better to use multiple screened cables so RPM input can be isolated or would single cable suffice?
Iam using the V1 max, and it is coupld to shift light, nitrous transponder, fuel transponder and has RPM input from a dyna 2000 ignition dedicated output and the retard output is also direct coupled to the dyna 2000 dedicated retard wire. I suspect the last two items are the biggest cause of my problems but also the 2 most important connections so not best sure how to overcome this.
Cheers
Steve

Is it possible to own too many hammers????

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Max Extreme interference issues
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

suzook12 wrote:
Currently the max is mounted in the fairing so is easy to access, this causes 2 potential problems...
1) being at an extreme end of the bike, vibration is more discernable than being mounted mid bike under the seat
Physical vibration should NEVER be a problem, as we've had max units survive use on RIGIDLY mounted Harleys and tire shaking Pro Mod cars.

2) Being a bike, all wiring has to pass past the headstock area, which is the normal position for ignition coils
That could be a problem.

In the 1st instance, how much of an issue is high frequency vibration for a max?
NONE.

In the 2nd, i really dont want to have to move the max to where it cant be seen, sooo, how beneficial would screened cable be, and would it be better to use multiple screened cables so RPM input can be isolated or would single cable suffice?
The more screening the better.

Iam using the V1 max, and it is coupld to shift light, nitrous transponder, fuel transponder and has RPM input from a dyna 2000 ignition dedicated output and the retard output is also direct coupled to the dyna 2000 dedicated retard wire. I suspect the last two items are the biggest cause of my problems but also the 2 most important connections so not best sure how to overcome this.
That may not be the case as we've found power and grounds are the main cause of problems. Avoid using the same soruce for power and grounds for the Max, Pulsoids, Ignition and coils. For example use a VERY SHORT ground to the head stock for the Max (DON'T run it back to the battery). Likewise, don't run all the power feeds directly from the same ignition switch.
If that doesn't sort it give Ant a call as he's sorted all previous issues.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:26 pm 
Learner

Ok so basically what you are suggesting is use the bike itself as a smoothing capacitor?

The seperate feeds for the pulsoids and max arent a problem as its already wired like that and i can earth the max via the fairing frame mounting points, so will try that next.

So the only concern left after that is where the cables pass the headstock, within 2 inches of a dyna high energy coil. I guess screened cable would be the only solution there. Any ideas where i can get some? Automotive cable is easy to come by but screened cable thats not aerial cable with inbuilt impedance not so easy.

Cheers
Steve.

PS, I'm leaving it till after the summer nationals as we have a 2 month lay off then, so more time to get it sorted rather than rush it

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

suzook12 wrote:
Ok so basically what you are suggesting is use the bike itself as a smoothing capacitor?
Exactly

The seperate feeds for the pulsoids and max arent a problem as its already wired like that and i can earth the max via the fairing frame mounting points, so will try that next.

So the only concern left after that is where the cables pass the headstock, within 2 inches of a dyna high energy coil. I guess screened cable would be the only solution there. Any ideas where i can get some? Automotive cable is easy to come by but screened cable thats not aerial cable with inbuilt impedance not so easy.
Ant might have some sources for that.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:47 am 
Learner

see my thread i JUST posted in the advanced section..coincidence lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:17 am 
Learner

places like maplins electronics sell screened cable and keep a good selection normaly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:00 pm 
Learner

Thanks for the info guys, will report back how it goes after the summer nationals :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:26 pm 
Learner

Actually, thinking about it, it will be interesting to see if FRED suffers any adverse effects this weekend, as he has never been mounted up front before, he was always tucked under the seat, which was great except for when you wanted to make any last second adjustments having watched one of the runners before you launch and realising the grip has gone etc
Will find out soon enough :D

I must admit, this is one area the schnitz pro series II seems to score, but as it doesnt have the safety capabilities that i want to use on the Maxx it aint an option, shame WON havent produced an all in 1 box for motorcycles, though i understand Trevs philosophy on if one part breaks you have to replace the lot.... But by the same token, coils could live where the ECU was and wiring could easily avoid them :)

Anyway, see what happens next weekend RE FRED then back to the Maxx

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:07 pm 
Learner

So the summer nationals have been and gone and ive had a couple of weeks to chew over events.

FRED it seems, has no interference problems at all, as expected, but still things didnt go quite to plan, as you may expect.....
After his lay off, FRED has decided buttons 3 & 4 no longer work, so whatever settings i had are now locked in.
After finally getting scrutineered and missing 1st round quals, we finally got a time on the board. Not impressive except the reaction time 0.15, not bad for first run out. 2nd run out was much the same except this time gas was armed. Same RT but slower ET, and bike was surging at top end. This should have set alarm bells ringing, but i convinced myself it couldnt possibly be weak as i know what it flow tests at, which is well rich. Everything seemed to check out ok except the electrical gremlin got us again. This time the ignition wire rattled off of the air shifter kill switch, which in itself could prove to be a godsend.....
Sun morning see's eliminators and we're running the 1/8th. We had high hopes for this run as the "sandbaggers" now have o idea where the shut off point is, whereas the rest of us are flat out to the line. Paired against Paul Furlong i know ive gotta be 1st out of the gate, so with that in mind, managed a 0.02RT, followed by a massive bog as there was far more grip than expected. Game Over. So the nitrous never got into its stride.
It wasnt untill we went to load the bike, that when pumping the system down i noticed that although the feed pipe had fuel in it, it wasnt going down.... Uhoh. Then i noticed that there was no fuel returning to tank. It would seem that when the tank, and more importantly, the tap operating bar were off, the bar got replaced 90 degrees out so instead of turning fuel on it was actually off!!! The only saving grace being the tank had C16 in it all winter and the tap seals are no longer sealing fully so at least it was getting some fuel. Add to that the timing is still 4 degree retarded static plus 4 out on 50% we seem to have gotten away with it as the motor still runs sweet as (Yes i know, complete miracle!!), so this weekend will see boroscope down the bores to check everything is def ok and a compression and leak down test to confirm and fingers crossed we good to go.
This is EXACTLY the reason why i wanted the max extreme to start with, so that will be going back on with a few wiring/earth mods. Hopefully we wont be back to Mr Upperton for another set of pistons!!
Had the luck of working with a guy last week who was an aviation electrical engineer who understands all about screening etc who has kindly offered his help should we get stuck....

Steve