NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: 250 Ninja
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:54 pm 
Learner

this is the other side of the coin. I mostly do repair of the head. Melted spark plug deposits have to be removed after a melt down.

stock head

repaired head.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:12 am 
Site Admin

mgbv8 wrote:
I didnt make myself clear on this.
What I was trying to say was, if I draw my 300hp WON shot of gas from a full bottle for a fixed time period, the bottle pressure will drop by X amount by the end of the time period. So regardless of all the gubbin's between my bottle and injector. If the Boss Noss gubbins can actually flow the same 300 shot that my won system does, surely the same amount of liquid will have been taken from the bottle over the same time period. This assumes both tests on full stabilised bottles at the same pressures.
That is the case Perry BUT;
1) Yours would start off by delivering a high volume DENSE nitrous charge
2) Yours would progress to delivering a lower volume DENSE nitrous charge, due to falling bottle pressure.

Whereas the Boss Noss kit (IN THEORY AT LEAST but in REALITY it's not exactly the case) would;
1) Start off delivering a high volume LOW DENSITY nitrous charge
2) CONTINUE to deliver high volume LOW DENSITY nitrous charge, due to the regulator preventing the falling bottle pressure affecting the output pressure.

So if I have my bottle at 950psi with the smart box and nozzle set to deliver at 300psi, in order to achieve my 300shot wont I need to fit a bigger piston jet to allow enough nitrous to flow at a lower pressure to still give me the full 300hp of liquid?
To get 300 HP worth of nitrous through a Boss Noss kit, yes you'd need to fit a bigger piston/jet BUT;
1) That wouldn't be the only part that would need changing, as the WHOLE SYSTEM (especially the 'nozzle') would need up scaling and as stated before to an IMPRACTICAL size - my EDUCATED guess on the required size for the outlet from the nozzle would approx. 1.5 to 2 inches!!!!!
2) Even if the mods were made and a practical size was possible, it would STILL ONLY SUPPLY 300 HP worth of nitrous GAS - NOT LIQUID.

So if I have to flow x pounds of gas in 10 seconds to give me the 300 shot, thats what I need to flow. So the bottle contents must have still reduced by X pounds of liquid in 10 seconds, be it at 950psi delivery pressure or 300psi delivery pressure.
Yes that's roughly the case when BOTH bottles are UNREGULATED & AT THOSE PRESSURES DUE TO AMBIENT TEMPS but even then the 950 psi system would deliver most. However, when regulating the LIQUID down to GAS you'd have to flow MUCH MORE nitrous to make the same amount of power, for loads of reasons but I'll limit it to the easiest to understand;
1) When injected as a LIQUID nitrous takes up less room (and therefore displaces less air), it also exchanges heat with the air which increases the density of the air, both of which result in more power from the NA air, that the nitrous doesn't have to make up for.
2) In contrast, when injecting GASEOUS nitrous, it takes up between 3 & 300 TIMES the volume that liquid does (depending on the end temp) and therefore displace an equivalent volume of air. There is NO cooling (or at best MINIMAL), so there's NO increase in air density and as a consequence MUCH MORE nitrous GAS, would be needed to make the same power as achieved with the same quantity of LIQUID.

Do you see what I'm getting at? If you flow an amount of liquid from the bottle in a fixed time period to meet a demand the pressure drop would be the same regardless of what was between bottle and injector wouldnt it?
NOPE and I hope I've provided adequate info to clarify and prove that for you.

I can see that the density of the nitrous may be lower on the Boss Noss system, so in order to correct this you would fit bigger and bigger nitrous piston jets to achieve the correct weight loss from the bottle to ensure you have flowed the correct weight of liquid to make the 300 shot in the 10 second test period.
Yes but that's ignoring the NUMEROUS other beneficial factors associated with using LIQUID nitrous, instead of GASEOUS nitrous.

Its probably not relevant as I dont suppose this system was designed for flowing amounts like this.
But I do now understand why it was made to fill a niche in the market.
Exactly but even then the end results leaves a lot to be desired.

Do you think fuel freezing might be a problem on a system like this that is being used with such low air intake temps??
Without a doubt, which is why special fuels have been developed for such environments?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:05 am 
Learner

I have been using 1.25 lb bottle. And I am spraying 30 hp at the most.And doing so for 30 sec. I refil my bottle from a 20lb bottle in the truck between runs.do you think I can get away with a 2.5lb bottle? Or wwould two 20oz bottles be better?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:50 am 
Site Admin

They work out the same volume but 2 x 20 oz would deliver a more constant pressure.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:55 pm 
Learner

What I do now is keep one bottle in ice water.The big bottle is in the truck heating up from the sun. After a run. I remove the bottle from the ice water and turn it up side down and open it up . That freezes it down as the nitrous evaporates .I then hook it up to the big bottle and I am ready to go. Usually getting over 1.25 lb of weight into the bottle. (I use a scale).Then the old bottle goes in to the ice.
Would I need to do this with a two bottle system every run? or could I get more than one run from 40 oz of nitrous? If so I would need to get 4 bottles?
Another option is a 2.5 lb bottle mounted in front of the rear tire. But that will require a custom swing arm.I need to move the rear tire back six inches anyway for better fairing options .
With only six months to go. This is one of the BIG details I need to settle soon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

Racer X wrote:
What I do now is keep one bottle in ice water.The big bottle is in the truck heating up from the sun. After a run. I remove the bottle from the ice water and turn it up side down and open it up . That freezes it down as the nitrous evaporates .I then hook it up to the big bottle and I am ready to go.
That's a commonly used method but unless you have plenty of time for the bottle temperature to return to ambient THOROUGHLY then it's not a good idea, as the pressure will be unstable.

Usually getting over 1.25 lb of weight into the bottle.
You should NEVER over fill a bottle and that's not just a matter of safety, as you get better flow characteristics from a bottle that isn't entirely full.

Would I need to do this with a two bottle system every run? or could I get more than one run from 40 oz of nitrous?
Regardless of how much nitrous you use per run, you should ALWAYS carry out THE SAME PROCESS before every run, if you want consistent results.
Even if there is enough nitrous for a 2nd run from the same bottle/s, the 2 results will be different and obviously one will be inferior to the other.
The BEST way to fill and use bottles is as follows;
1) Make sure you have enough bottle capacity to be more than enough for one run.
2) DON'T cool the bottles before filling.
3) Rely on a differential in bottle position (height difference) to get a 'DECENT' fill - to do this your main bottle should NOT have a dip tube fitted and it should be held as high as possible above the bottle to be filled upside down.
4) Once the filling process STALLS, take hold of the small bottle and shake it vigerously from end to end and set it back down, until the filling process STOPS.
5) Using this process you SHOULD be able to get approx 15oz in each bottle, which is ideal for optimum performance.
6) By not cooling the bottle there will be less of a heat transfer barrier, which is essential for stable bottle pressure.
7) By filling to the optimum level the gas pocket to liquid volume is optimum, which again is essential for stable bottle pressure.

If so I would need to get 4 bottles?
More bottles is without doubt better than too few, as it gives you more time to stabalise the pressures.

Another option is a 2.5 lb bottle mounted in front of the rear tire. But that will require a custom swing arm.I need to move the rear tire back six inches anyway for better fairing options .
With only six months to go. This is one of the BIG details I need to settle soon.
That's all down to you.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:05 am 
Learner

OK so two bottles on the bike. They can mount behind my legs with out much aerodynamic penalty. What do you think of the 12.5 to 1 piston profile? I am going to cut some old pistons in half to measure the crown thickness.

I am a creature of habit. I like to have a system for doing thing. Not only is it repeatable. But things get exciting at the track. Having a system of doing things keeps it simple.

Thanks for the advice about handling nitrous. That is another thing I am also learning about.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:19 am 
Site Admin

Racer X wrote:
OK so two bottles on the bike. They can mount behind my legs with out much aerodynamic penalty.
The would be best mounted upside down and as high as possible, so your previous suggestion about up at the back of the seat area either side of the wheel would be better.
On the last bike I prepared for myself, I removed the original fuel tank and fitted 2 x 2.5lb bottles there and then made a smaller fuel tank that fitted just uner the elevated ends of the bottles at the front of the bike, as THAT is the BEST plcase to fit nitrous bottles on a bike.

What do you think of the 12.5 to 1 piston profile? I am going to cut some old pistons in half to measure the crown thickness.
I'm SURE it will be thick enough in most areas (but could do with being stronger between the valve cut outs and the top ring lands) and its MUCH better than the high comp piston (which I would NEVER dream of using even NA) but if you fitted a thicker gasket and had the valve cut outs machined less deep and/or fitted a slightly lower lift cam (assuming you can't run the valves any closer to the pistons) and/or pocketed the exhaust valves at least by a few thou, the piston crown could be SO MUCH BETTER.

I am a creature of habit. I like to have a system for doing thing. Not only is it repeatable. But things get exciting at the track. Having a system of doing things keeps it simple.
Exactly right and a good CORRECT system is essential for consistent and good results.

Thanks for the advice about handling nitrous. That is another thing I am also learning about.
My pleasure and if you haven't already had my book delivered, I'm sure you'll find much more useful info in there when it arrives.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:52 pm 
Learner

I can mount the bottles and about a 45 deg angle with the valve facing down. Is that angle enough? To get more I would have to make a more complex and weaker mount. Plus the bottles would be outside the frame. And could be torn free in a crash.

I have 81mm bottle mounts that should hold your 22oz bottles.I can bolt them directly to the rear belly pan.above the tire. and angle them inward at the back. I hope this will be OK.

So that is the start. I am looking forward to getting the book in the mail. So we can get started on the rest. :bounce:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:40 am 
Site Admin

That's less than ideal, is there any chance you could mount them to the front fork yokes or top fork tubes in front of and in line with the tube angle?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:17 am 
Learner

The front is very tight. I will also be adding a fairing once I can make a full pass without blowing up. :bom:

I have to carry 1.32 gallons of fuel . So I need to keep the large tank.

If option 1 is not ideal . I can get the bottles more upright behind my leg as in option 2 or a large bottle behind me up high option 3.A big bottle behind me could be covered with fairing. But the bottle would be on its side. . I could also get them in front of my legs but that is not good choice. How bad is option 1? though not ideal. It is the simplest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Option 4 & 2 would be good and they'd by reasonably aerodynamic as they would shield your legs or be shielded by them.

The reason the top yokes would be best is because they are higher.

I would have thought a fairing could be made to fit round 2 x 20 oz bottles in front of the yokes.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:32 am 
Learner

Option 2 is OK. That is what I have now with one bottle. I just have to make another mount for the second bottle. The front fork option will not work because of the dash and mount for the steering stabilizer. It is very tight up there,Plus I need to keep it narrow.
I will fab up something real and see how it looks.
Thanks for the help getting this right.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:44 am 
Site Admin

My pleasure.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:38 am 
Learner

I made a bracket for the bottles. I read the bottle should be vertical, valve facing forward and as high as possible. This will tuck the bottles in behind my legs.

The valve will be level or slightly above the manifolds when it is done.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:24 am 
Site Admin

That's near enough then. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:30 am 
Learner

Hello Trev
Things are moving along. I have the first engine done. It is a stock 250 ninja engine with a 4mm over bore 12.5 to 1 forged pistons and some headwork. The clutch is upgraded and I think it will hold. Lets hope

The Next engine will be the same except I have custom made copper head gaskets that will raise the head 1mm or .030 in. I also have adjustable cam sprockets to further muck up the works but I hope they will be useful at returning the cam timing back to normal after raising the head. again lets hope. After these two I will look at having custom pistons made. But this should be good.

I have also done some frame modifications to allow me to add the nitrous system and electronics as neet and efficently as possable.
The pulsoids can mount behind the carbs about ten inches away. and the controller can go behind the seat on the upper pannel.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

All looks & sounds good.

Have you always used copper gaskets and have you ever had one fail before?

Have you had the steel plates surface ground and have you packed the springs so that they are just short of being coil bound when slipping?

If not it would be advantageous to do both.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:16 pm 
Learner

Yes to both .the springs bind at the point the clutch slips. Very tight lever pull. Not for the steet.

I have not used the copper headgasket before. But I will be using studs also.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

What type of gaskets have you used before and did you have any problems?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:37 pm 
Learner

I use stock steel gaskets. I have not had a problem before that I can see. Even though I have reused old gaskets just to make the race. I pull the motor down a lot and try to use new gaskets.
The copper gaskets get sanded and re heat treated and can be reused.

The clutch matereal I have now is carbon fiber. The kevlar was OK but I have not used it with the super heavy springs I now have in the bike.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:00 am 
Site Admin

If the original gasket is SHEET steel and not just a composite gasket with steel sections, then I'd stick to using that rather than copper.

You 'may' get away with the copper gasket but if I was going to use them again, I'd make sure the head or the block had a mig wire ring fitted round each chamber, as the FIRST thing that ever failed the VERY FIRST TIME that I used nitrous (on my 250 cc single cylinder BSA), was the solid copper headgasket and I still have it hung on my wall, as a testimony to the extent of my progress. ;)

In contrast I later used solid steel STOCK head gaskets on my Rover V8 and added huge amounts of nitrous, without the slightest problem.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:34 am 
Learner

I do like the sheet steel. One big difference is my engine in water cooled. Lets see how the first engine does.If I need to lower compression. There are other ways.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Being water cooled won't help, as it was the combustion PRESSURE that physically blew it outwards, within a couple of seconds of using the nitrous in a burnout.

OBVIOUSLY the central hole started life round;

Also keep in mind that the B25 has a raised cylinder liner, so the combustion force had to navigate that before pushing on the gasket, so yoyrs would be more likely to suffer this problem.

The ONLY possible alternative cause for the gasket failure, was that I hadn't adequately tightened the head studs but as I was a reasonably experienced engine builder by that time, I think that's unlikely.

To cure my problem I added a 2nd copper gasket which sat on top of the liner (which was recessed in to the head), so it was physically impossible to blow it out again and I never had any further problems with it after that.

FYI with the mod carried out, I fed the engine with up to ONE HUNDRED & TWENTY HP of nitrous on a dyno and only suffered MINOR ring land damage, due to inadequate ring gap clearance (on a CAST piston) but I was only able to manage half that amount on the track in a single fixed hit. I still have the bike with the same engine internals that I raced it with for 3 years on 60 HP. :twisted:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:55 pm 
Learner

I see what you mean. That was not melted. I thought you has a twin for some reason. They blow between cylinders. But you have a lot of pressure there to do that.
I can dream about spraying more than 30. This engine is somewhat fragile. I am afraid the case will spread apart.
My first goal is a clean pass then a backup with out blowing a hole in the piston. Then push things alittle. It w ill be fun that's for sure.
Did you get my order OK?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next