NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: 250 Ninja
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:46 pm 
Learner

I will use the 35 deg BTDC as my base. I will set that across the rpm range. For all motor running I use 40 to 42 deg of timing.

I have hooked up the bar mounted activation switch and made the settings in the Max controller so it functions. The controller is very easy to program.

I am now turning my attention to the injectors. The problem is space. I think I can use crossfire injectors. Are those the type you think I should use? The space problem is around the manifolds. I will have to get the angle right to avoid a nasty bend that I don't want in the lines.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:13 pm 
Learner

Racer X wrote:
I will use the 35 deg BTDC as my base. I will set that across the rpm range. For all motor running I use 40 to 42 deg of timing.

I have hooked up the bar mounted activation switch and made the settings in the Max controller so it functions. The controller is very easy to program.

I am now turning my attention to the injectors. The problem is space. I think I can use crossfire injectors. Are those the type you think I should use? The space problem is around the manifolds. I will have to get the angle right to avoid a nasty bend that I don't want in the lines.

I have x-fires fitted in my gsxr1100, on those there is a ledge which is the underside of the inlet tract where they fit just nicely. Cant quite see in your pics how much space you have. By the looks of it i actually have more obstacles in piping pathway then you do so mine are slightly longer than i would have liked them, but they do work well. The venoms are quite a bit smaller, but then you have to get 2 of them in each side so poss the x-fires more economical space wise.

On the matter of timing, i run mine N/A at 40 deg btdc. Running nitrous i run the same up till 50 BHP then drop 4 degrees (dyna 2000 so timing options limited) which would equate to approx 12.5BHP/cylinder. Your engine revs quite a bit higher than mine so an extra degree or 2 shouldnt hurt. Drpping 6 on mine results in burning down the exhaust and no real power gain. For a 25 shot on yours id be tempted to start with stock -2/3 degrees at 100% gas. On one occassion i did a pass spraying 125BHP only to find the wire on my retard solenoid had come adrift so no timing was dropped at all and no damage, so just remember these kits need less timing reduction than others owing to the better delivery of liquid nitrous.

Steve

Is it possible to own too many hammers????

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:40 am 
Learner

The space limitation is such that I can only fit the hoses side by side. If I use the X fire injector the outlet will not be facing down steam when the fuel and nitrous line are side by side. It looks like I can fit the Venom injectors a little better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:43 am 
Site Admin

I designed Venom injectors specifically for bikes, so they are you best option.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:26 pm 
Learner

I will order the Venom injectors then. I will order the hoses also.

The bike is coming along. I made a new dual exhaust system with very little back pressure and all the sensor bungs. I have had lots of problems with the right side piston. So I will moniter it primarily. But I have bungs on both so I can change them as you suggest. And I can use the dyno sensor in one side and the bikes sensor in the other when tuning on the dyno.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

All sounds good to me except I wouldn't prioritise the cylinder that previously failed as that will almost certainly have been due to the nitrous kit and therefore will not be the case now you have a WON system.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:37 pm 
Learner

Agreed.
I will measure both sides on the dyno then decide .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:08 pm 
Learner

This is the way I had planned to run the hoses.
I mounted the fuel pulsoid to the right and will mount the nitrous pulsoid in the center. All the hoses will be the same length. With the Y piece at the pulsoid. the distance is about 18 inches or 45 cm.
Does that look good?

Oops :redface:

Last edited by Racer X on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

No picture but it would be better to have the Pulsoids on top of each other central to the carbs to ensure that ALL the pipes are the same length and same angles.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:33 pm 
Learner

Moving the fuel pulsoid to the center and relocating the nitrous pulsoid will be simple
Its the little things like hose angles that keep the nitrous in a liquid state as long as possable ?

I ordered the injectors. I ordered four . Are the nitrous and fuel injectors the same?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Racer X wrote:
Moving the fuel pulsoid to the center and relocating the nitrous pulsoid will be simple
Glad to hear it

Its the little things like hose angles that keep the nitrous in a liquid state as long as possable ?
Angles reduce flow and create uneven distribution unless they are PERFECTLY matched. The density (how much remains close to liquid state), is more a matter of bore sizes and lack of disruption in the flow path.

I ordered the injectors. I ordered four . Are the nitrous and fuel injectors the same?
They are the same except for the identication ring colour (red for fuel and blue for nitrous).

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:55 pm 
Learner

Just an update.
I have made more backward progress than forward. My fairing arrived and it will require a laundry list of things to change. It will all be better. But it is time consuming,

I will run the bike in April without nitrous That way I will have the motor broken in a little better , And I will establish a base line,

The next race after April 28 is June 2nd. That will give me time to test the nitrous on the dyno in a controlled environment. I would all so like to see data on the power out put so I can select the proper gearing.

Do you have any suggestions on testing nitrous on the dyno? Fifth gear is 1to1.

Also regarding testing .Do you have any suggestions on fuel? I have found 110 range works the best for me. I usually buy fuel at the track, To get fuel shipped is about 20 dollars a gallon,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:04 am 
Site Admin

[quote="Racer X"]I have made more backward progress than forward. My fairing arrived and it will require a laundry list of things to change. It will all be better. But it is time consuming,
That's unfortunate. :cry:

The next race after April 28 is June 2nd. That will give me time to test the nitrous on the dyno in a controlled environment. I would all so like to see data on the power out put so I can select the proper gearing.
Wise move

Do you have any suggestions on testing nitrous on the dyno? Fifth gear is 1to1.
Just make sure it's an INERTIA type dyno (NOT a BRAKE type) and that the engine has started to accelerate BEFORE activating the nitrous.

Also regarding testing .Do you have any suggestions on fuel? I have found 110 range works the best for me. I usually buy fuel at the track, To get fuel shipped is about 20 dollars a gallon,
Any fuel you normally run with should be fine.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:50 am 
Learner

where is this bike located? i see u run at maxton and i live in NC.

as far as fuel.. q16.. the highest compression you can run and still have proper PTV clearance, and spray the daylights out of it. q16 wont hurt your power much on NA, and the tune will not vary nearly as much. with proper tuning and enough nitrous you should be able to spray this thing from start to finish.. im thinking 145mph and some BIG gearing. as a matter of fact, i would set the bike up so that it wouldnt even accelerate in 6th and reserve that for nitrous only. Also, make sure that your rods arent stretching. i see the detonation on the pistons but that "crack" looks like it was caused by physical contact. h beams would be a wise investment and they can be repaired if need be. (and can also be made LIGHT) on this engine i have trouble seeing why you would have trouble on 1 side. being independant carbs ..its odd. perhaps the airflow around the bike was taking air away?? anyways, put that aside and worry about the nitrous. There will come a time when the nitrous flow will stall the carb. it takes ALOT of nitrous, but it can happen. When it does, you may want to be prepared for adding more fuel thru the wet injector. youll know when it happens because the engine will lean spike. hopefully not enough to hurt anything.

i hate i missed this thread until now! sounds like a fun project. I just bought a 250 cbr.. but i bought it for gas milage. 80 MPG! lol. ive seen 93 one time, down hill, with a tail wind! :mrgreen:

trevor this guy needs the same thing im getting.. .see the potential????? :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:57 am 
Learner

Thanks for the tips. I have a set of H beam rods. The first set Carrillo made for the 250 ninja. I don't think there was any contact.It is a four valve hemi head. IF it touched it would bend valves.There is nothing else there but the spark plug. Though it could have hydro locked.

At this point I think most of the problems I had was with the Boss Noss system.I am starting from scratch an feel confident I we will hit some good speeds. My top speed gearing is 149mph at the 14500 RPM rev limit. That is "only" 2500 rpm from where I am now.

The first step to getting that to happen was this weekend. Dr J and I went to the 1/4 mile strip to run our bikes. 30 dollars and an hour drive to test out everything before the big race in three weeks. It was time well spent. We both found little time wasting problems and got them sorted. I like drag racing and Dr J had never done it so it was a lot of fun also.

Dr Js bike was flying hitting close to 100mph. I am collecting data and feeling out the new bike, It feels good so far.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:40 am 
Site Admin

Very pleased to hear things are progressing well for both of you. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:31 pm 
Learner

hey where are you from racer x?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:04 pm 
Learner

I am in Baltimore Maryland.USA

I like to use the fuel that is available at the track. It is cheaper and consistent. I use 100 octane when I run all motor. And I will use 111 for the nitrous. The bike will run on the 111 with only loosing 1 or 2 hp on the dyno. Compared to the 100.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:54 am 
Learner

i promise you there is not fuel out there that is more consistent than q16... and i pay about 14 a gallon for it. vs 10 for the stuff at the track that who knows how long its been in the tank LOL. its a 250 man your gonna use like 2 quarts a race. get the good stuff :mrgreen: im gonna have to hit up the mile this year, i wanna see this bike.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:43 am 
Learner

When I run in a "GAS" Class I have to use the fuel from the track. It is in a 55 gallon drum and they use a lot of it. I pay 10 bucks a gallon. I hold 1.5 gallons on the bike and it will use it all in a weekend.
IF I buy my own gas. I have to mail order a 5 gallon pail. It costs between 55 and 75 dollars. PLUS a 50 dollar hazardous waist handling fee. Then I use 1.5 gallons of it and it sits for the next four months to a year. SO I end up paying 100 dollars a gallon for fuel.
Once I get things sorted and working with a consistent fuel. Then I will experiment with a different fuel. I am just not to that point yet. I still need to get more than one pass per piston set.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:27 pm 
Learner

ok cool. i understand the "class rules" i love oxygenated fuels, they are way more consistent with the tune when your changing weather conditions. also, q16 doesnt experiance the "going bad" problem when left in the can until about a year out. the reason these fuels have a bad rap is because of being left in the tank. exposed to air they will go bad in days. also your in maryland, all you need to do is hit up mirock one weekend it is at MIR and you can get all the fuel you need! save ya some shipping. if you decide to go that route at a later date. get up with HTP in VA and im sure cecil would be glad to bring you a can to the track!! still really wanna see this bike run! lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:19 am 
Learner

Thanks
That is great information for when I go to different fuel. With nitrous I am automatically in the "FUEL" class.So I might as well take full advantage of it by running the best fuel I can. I will begin doing some research so I understand it better.

I am very excited to run the bike. After the weekend at the 1/4 mile track I want to use all six gears and let it go for a mile WIDE OPEN.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:06 pm 
Learner

i wanna see you spray nitrous from the time you leave to teh time you stop. lol 2 bottles should handle it. i assume ur not sprayin much more than a 40 to it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:21 pm 
Learner

A mile is a long way for a little bike. I get up to 110 all motor in a half a mile . I could spray 40 hp on my 30 hp motor bring in the nitrous nice and soft and put 70 hp out the rear wheel. That would still only be 145 mph and that speed can be reached in a half mile with my gearing and RPM range,,Will the clutch hold ??? we will see .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:28 am 
Learner

Eric,
I agree with xclr82xtc that the VP Q16 is the best fuel for our unlimited fuel class for the standing Mile based on my research 2 yrs ago. That was the one I was using with my CRF250R motor that someone said smelled like Simply Green cleaner. That was before I started running the NOS. I can get it via my local Twigg Cycle in Hagerstown Maryland at normal retail and avoid shipping. We can share a 5gal can if you want to switch at some point.

World's Fastest 250cc 4stroke in Land Speed Racing
131.8mph 15May2011 Maxton Mile
WON SB25 with Max Extreme

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next