NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Dave Bailey - my quickest UK customer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

Here are some pics of Dave Baileys bike since his winter re-build.

Here's one of him in action last year.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Last edited by Noswizard on Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:40 pm 
Learner

Like that a lot! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Dave has struggled all year due to excess power.

He didn't realise untill recently that the unique new system I supplied him is far more efficient than his previous kit. Consequently he's been trying to get a handle on far more power than his previous kit was making when using the same jet sizes.

Untill a month or so ago he was trashing gearboxes and clutches at every meet and unable to get traction, so the times were terrible.

However since reducing the jet sizes by approx. 1/3 and fitting a new tire, things have started to come together.

Despite using jet sizes that 'theoretically' should make less than 2/3rd of the power that he used to set his previous PB, yesterday he posted a new PB of 7.12 and this was also despite having trashed his clutch towards the end of the run, which means it must have been on the way out during the run.

Dave is having to make do with VERY WORN and inadequate clutch parts, as well as still learning how to get the best set up for the clutch, so it's OBVIOUS to me that there is far more to come from the bike, even on such small jet sizes.

Congratulations Dave on a new PB. :mrgreen:

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Last edited by Noswizard on Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:14 pm 

That is a very good time if handicapped by the problems you say.

Congrats o the new PB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Well I think a HUGE amount of credit should go to Dave Bailey as he's running in the Fuel Bike class and only one of the 8 bikes in front of him is NOT a full blown fueller.

The ONLY bike in front of Dave that is NOT a fueller, in 8th position is a Funny bike (using both turbo and nitrous power) and it's ONLY just over 0.05sec quicker that Dave has run.

This is without doubt Dave's best achievement (at least this year) and if everything goes as he's been lead to believe, he'll be racing tomorrow as one of the quicker fuel bikes is believed to have pulled out and we can only hope he can improve on his 7.1 and with a lot of luck make it through one or more rounds.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Dave's got through the 1st 2 rounds (posting another 7.1 sec pass), thanks to superior reliabillity, as the other guys both broke, so he's now in the FINAL.

His last pass was only an 8.5 due to getting too close to the barrier and having to back off but it seems things in general have been going well for him so far and we can only hope it stays that way.

The final is a Top fuel bike against a Pro Mod bike, shame I can't be there to see it. :cry:

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:53 pm 

Going all day and making it through the rounds reliably is a huge plus as there is less to worry about the next time out as you must be on the right track.

What nitrous hp levels is the bike at now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately Dave's luck ran out in the final as he tried just a touch too hard to be the first away from the line and pulled a red light by just 0.024 secs.

It was always a 'cat' in hells chance :lol: to win even one round and even if he'd not pulled a red light his 7.3 sec pass was no where near quick enough to get close to the fuellers winning time of 6.3 secs.

Having said that I bet Dave is feeling better than many winners today and it's just a shame it wasn't a Pro Mod or Comp bike class he was running in rather than Top fuel, because he'd already out qualified all but one that would have run in those classes and he beat that on reliability, so he'd have taken the win for certain. 8)

Maybe next time!! ;)

GREAT WORK DAVE, you got close to repeating your namesake beating Goliath today. :mrgreen:

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:11 pm 
Learner

Thats an amazing time. Well done Dave and well done Trev, another one to prove the doubters wrong! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:15 pm 
Learner

Trev,

Not to take anything away from Dave Bailey, but Rikard Gustavsson's bike with a best et of 6.55 and UEM winner 2006 is an alky turbo FI bike legal in FB (package bought from US) and not a nitro fuel bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for putting the record straight on that Bo, I incorrectly (it now seems) assumed that all the none UK riders would be on fuel bikes, as it was a fuel bike class.

Dave still has a long way to go but here is a brief (as possible) resume of how things have gone since Dave started using my products - keep in mind this is not a new spec bike and the engine parts that were supplied with the bike when he bought it were less than in prime condition;

1) Some time towards the middle to end of last year he replaced the NOS solenoids with my Pulsoids.

2) He almost instantly posted a new PB

3) Towards the very end of the year he switched to the new (then UNIQUE) system that he's using now, which consists of 2 prs of Pulsoids, each pair feeding a pair of cylinders only, with central end injection.

4) The new system was intended to give a more efficient nitrous delivery and provide greater control.

5) We had no way of knowing 'exactly' how the new system would affect the air and fuel flow through the carb.

6) Unfortunately we were soon to discover that the carbs didn't like the nitrous being fired through them from too far away but in so doing Dave had to suffer the humiliation and expense of the bike stalling on the start line and over loading the gearbox.

7) We also discovered that the system was SO MUCH more efficient than conventional kits, that it required far more control than an inefficient system to achieve a low enough launch percentage, so I've inadvertently made it harder for Dave (and myself) to control the huge increase in torque that this new efficient system produces.

8) Dave spent the start of this season breaking parts and performing badly discovering just how much more torque the system delivered and trying to get a handle on the enormous increase in power that given jet sizes produced. The result of this carnage, is that Dave is now left with extremely worn and on the edge parts, in particular the clutch which is a key part of a quick ET

9) Within the last few months Dave's realised that he can achieve more with less.

10) His previous record of 7.2 (something), was done using 250 hp jets but his recent new PB of 7.1 was achieved using just 160 hp jets. Not only that but he'd killed the hell out of even a lowly 20% start percentage by running it way too rich and by taking out as much timing from the engine as possible. Despite having just fitted a new tire and all the above measures to reduce the launch torque, he still had traction problems this weekend.

11) I hope to provide Dave with a prototype of our new Maximiser which should help him achieve more control over the nitrous percentage delivered in the early part of the run.

12) If that fails to provide enough control then the only answer will be the Smooooth system and Dave in the top 5 customers to get the upgrade!!!

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Last edited by Noswizard on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:09 pm 
Learner

thanks guys!
I'm nearly there... (he sais for the umteenth time).

Above is a fine description of progress.
...but they don't call me honest Dave for nothing, so: previous pb with NOS system + pulsoids = 7.166 with slightly over 200bhp of nitrous.
Latest Pb 7.127 with 160bhp of nitrous - full WON system.

I've still to go over all the data and video to get all the results straight in my head, but the other 7.1 I pulled in the 1st round (0.052 reaction time I might add!) was using 200 bhp jets with all the power pulled out the start that I could... and hitting 2nd gear after 0.36 seconds to kill the tyre spin :shock: on the stickiest track of the year :shock: . The 60ft was a tenth behind what the bike usually runs and 0.17sec behind my best 60ft!

Roll on the smooothy!!!

the final went a bit wrong: deep staged then backed out a fraction then went on the amber... (now I've sussed how to set the clutch up for good reaction times I'm usually in the 0.0somethings) Will stage further back in future as that's the second red I've had since the clutch revalation :redface:

There are valid reasons for trying the bigger jets and I got HUGELY valuable data from the weekend.

...as well as a big cup! :D :lol:

and STILL no engine parts even close to melted ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:01 am 
Learner

Awesome work, mate! Well done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Sorry if I mislead anyone with the numbers but I could have sworn Dave told me his previous PB was a 7.2 on 250 hp jets but then I am getting past it and Dave knows his numbers better than I do. :redface:

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:46 pm 
Learner

I only managed a 7.3 with ALL NOS parts...

I ran one 7.166 and a string of 7.2s with the NOs + pulsoids which is probably where the confusion lay (numbers all blur into one unless you're the one doing it :lol: ). I believe Ken Cooper ran 7.09 sec at 186.41 mph on the bike with 250bhp (I've matched him on speed though!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:35 am 
Learner

fantastic results!!!
could you let me know at what fuel pressure your system runs at ,and what combination of 4 jets are you running on the nitrous and fuel side?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:58 pm 
Learner

Hi Jim,

fuel pressure 8psi nitrous pressure 950psi. (both reduce throughout the pass and finish around 7psi fuel and 850psi nitrous)
My system uses 1 set of jets per cylinder - these work well:

70f 80n (runs a bit lean).
80f 100n (runs a bit rich!)
tried 100f 120n on my last pass but the clutch let go... (rich)

I though it strange that the 70/80 was a bit lean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:40 am 
Learner

Scalded Cat wrote:
Hi Jim,

fuel pressure 8psi nitrous pressure 950psi. (both reduce throughout the pass and finish around 7psi fuel and 850psi nitrous)
My system uses 1 set of jets per cylinder - these work well:

70f 80n (runs a bit lean).
80f 100n (runs a bit rich!)
tried 100f 120n on my last pass but the clutch let go... (rich)

I though it strange that the 70/80 was a bit lean.

hey dave thanks for the reply,in case you did not know we are running 2 systems in canada that are very very close to yours,in fact my operating pressures are the same as yours.my engine is also a 4 cylinder but the difference is that i'm running 4 fuel jets and 2 nitrous jets ,the nitrous is jetted before the y's and divides between 2 cylinders.
looks like our jet ratio's are working out the same as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:16 pm 
Learner

hum?! i'm thinking of individualy jetting my fuel too. be almost as bad as a nos system come jet changing time! :mrgreen:

still a bit paranoid about cylinder ballance. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

All year long Dave has had trouble controlling the huge torque the new system is generating.

A few days ago I came up with a new trick that I thought might solve the problem and today he ran the new arrangement for the first time.

It was a simple concept but it's worked so well that he now has too little power to suffer traction problems, so he can start turning the power up again now. However despite having less power than before he's just run his best 60ft and 330ft over the last few meets (if I understood him correctly) and were it not for the bike having to be shut down due to getting too close to the centre line it's very likely that he'd have just run a new PB.

Unfortunately track and weather conditions have prevented him from getting a 2nd chance yet, so we can only hope track and weather conditions improve and he gets another chance tomorrow.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Last edited by Noswizard on Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:43 am 
Learner

i was on the banking when he did that run yesterday. storming start off the line, i wondered why he shut off as it was looking like a cracking run. such a pity the weather has dictated that he's not likely to get another shot at it :cry:

i obviously am running an order of magnitude lower power but compaired to my single shot nos setup, on the same power ( in practice much higher power) i can't be sure when the gas cuts in it's sooo smooth!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Pleased you could confirm the info I'd posted and that my systems deliver the power soooo much smoother than your generic kit.

Contrary to the bull the likes of NX pump out, it's NOT big and it's NOT clever to have nitrous hit hard, because all that means is that you can handle less.

I'm sat here in the hope that he gets at least one more run without the rain shafting us all.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Last edited by Noswizard on Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

There wasn't a break in the rain, so Dave was unable to get another chance to post a time using the system at a higher setting, so I guess we'll have to wait till next year before we see more of the potential of his bike with it's radical nitrous system. :(

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 pm 
Learner

bloody weather!

It was an ok 60ft (better than all my recent ones) and a good 330ft. (the phone did have bad reception Trev!). It was very soft for a split second which killed the 60ft but proved the theory worked, then it picked up very nicely. I had to shut off as the front was starting to tuck under as I was trying to steer away from the centre line... it does that when you try and steer with the front wheel just skiping along the tarmac. It needs to be firmly on the bars or firmly on the front wheel when steering else it gets scarey :shock:

...thought I'd rather get to the end than fall off ;) did the job as I qualified 2nd and, had it not rained, I'd have had the best route into the final. hey ho!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

As many of you know, Dave Bailey is using our Revo and Max Extreme system on his bike and so far has made 6 passes in 2 meetings with this UNIQUE system.

His first 5 passes delivered the power too moderately and his last pass delivered the power too aggressively (because he jumped too far with his adjustments) causing tire shake.

These extremes PROVE the Revo has a MUCH WIDER range of control than any existing staged or pulsed system, because such systems are impossible to control to such a degree.

Here are 2 pics of his last 2 launches, showing the difference the power delivery rate made to the tire shape.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next